Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I completely understand the majority of the reactions here, and have to admit my initial one was similar; however, my "use on arrival" pattern is coming off SEA-JFK redeye en route to WAS ... when those flights operate as domestic F rather than D1, I'll pony up for the $39 single-visit AmEx pass in conjunction with my departing flight (which will be inside the 3-hour window)
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by jrl767
I completely understand the majority of the reactions here, and have to admit my initial one was similar; however, my "use on arrival" pattern is coming off SEA-JFK redeye en route to WAS ... when those flights operate as domestic F rather than D1, I'll pony up for the $39 single-visit AmEx pass in conjunction with my departing flight (which will be inside the 3-hour window)

And I believe that for most, that would be an allowable business expense.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I have lifetime access.

I guess I can just tell them I'm on another carriers flight to gain access when I fly into city (like a redeye arrival in early AM)?

seems odd that they think banning arriving passengers will solve the overcrowding...I would think 95% (or more) of the "arrival at final destination" passengers would access the lounge for a very short time period!
I have lifetime access as well. Delta should leave those members out of these changes. There can't be that many of us.
ohmark, dgreen12, scklumb and 4 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Reading the responses here, they're going to save lots of $$$ on toilet paper and carry-out food, anyway.
And we will have less competition for pooping stalls.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:38 am
Suspended

suddenly delta 360 is looking better, I have a feeling 360s will be allowed into the D1 lounges in accordance with the current D1 checkin policy
Old May 4, 2022, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
And we will have less competition for pooping stalls.

"And all of a sudden, the air was fresher..."
Old May 4, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I think the number of people who are likely to have their experience improve by getting quicker access to the Skyclub, having more space, etc as departing/transit passengers likely outnumbers the people who were using the DL lounges on arrival. But I also think a disproportionate amount of the latter group are likely to be here on FT.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I understand the 3 hour rule. That being said, I am very annoyed at the “no arrival access”.

As others have mentioned, the quick coffee and bite to eat after a redeye is going to be missed. I have used that benefit numerous times, and I rarely if ever claimed a seat in the club… because I simply walked in, got my cup of joe, and off I left.

So in my case, this new rule change will result in the annoyance of not getting a “free & quick” SkyClub coffee upon arrival, but otherwise will have done effectively nothing to alleviate the lack of seats.

The least they could do is move the coffee machine to the check-in area, and give club members a coffee if you endured a red-eye, even if access is not allowed.
ohhleary likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
D1 customers can still access clubs on arrival. They also confirmed they are working on D1 lounges at LAX and JFK.
Thanks for that catch. Still negatively impacts those on redeyes from the West Coast, whether in F or Y.

This will have minimal impact on me since I'm in a minor outstation and almost always connecting onward or on the way back but I can see the negative implications for some, particularly those coming off in NYC or BOS or ATL on redeyes from the West Coast who would otherwise like to use the SC to freshen up after arrival.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by gaugeguy
I have lifetime access as well. Delta should leave those members out of these changes. There can't be that many of us.
I think everyone feels that they should improve the situation by limiting someone else.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's think about arrival use time patterns. I tend to use lounges upon arrival late in the day, while others here mention early weekday mornings. IME lounges such as MSP are not full in the evening, although they might be more crowded on certain weekday mornings.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by kavok
The least they could do is move the coffee machine to the check-in area, and give club members a coffee if you endured a red-eye, even if access is not allowed.
Maybe a "to go" cup on the red eye...
Old May 4, 2022, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
SkyClub access opened up a lot of flights that otherwise wouldn’t have worked for me schedule-wise, specifically flights departing in the early evening. I couldn’t get to the airport in time after work to make them, but I could go out to the airport during my lunch break, work a half day from the club, and then board the flight. I am planning to do this two days from today.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 4, 2022 at 12:50 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by cardsqc
I've had way too many trips where I've been over 3 hours in the lounge. Including a few 8 hour stays at times. Course, those were because of flight delays, so it wouldn't impact things that much with the new policy.

I could see this having some affect on capacities at FLL and possibly MIA. Since FLL doesn't seem to do the no check in more than 2 hours earlier than the flight departure anymore, people coming straight from a cruise could just come to the airport and wait in the lounge even if there flight isn't for 4-5 hours. MIA the same way, although I don't think they ever had the cutoff on checking in before flights, so probably already existed there to some extent, but I suspect MIA's traffic isn't quite as affected by cruise lines as FLL is. To me, those are the two places that might affect me the most, in general I'm not looking to get to the airport more than 3 hours before my flight. Then again, I'm already the enemy to a number of people here since I'm getting in via a delta reserve card and god forbid guesting my wife in.
Re FLL, they rebuilt the club which opened almost a year ago. It's tiny when compared to the size of the old club.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Unless they had a total lapse in their legal department, or it's unlike any club I've ever been in, they're allowed to change the rules at any time.
That was their approach when they stopped allowing all members to access SC when flying other airlines several years back. DL backed off the policy within a month for Lifetime members. I'd presume legal told them to change the rules back?

Last edited by hockeystl; May 4, 2022 at 11:58 am Reason: added detail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.