Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Yes, my uncle needs a wheelchair and we bypassed the lines at JFK three times, the wheelchair person takes you straight in and up the elevator at t4.
Wonder if I would be granted the same courtesy as I am a permanent wheelchair user but wheel myself. Seems like line cutting without staff assisting me or calling me up to the front.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Wonder if I would be granted the same courtesy as I am a permanent wheelchair user but wheel myself. Seems like line cutting without staff assisting me or calling me up to the front.
Go for it, saw someone in a mechanical inside, not sure if he cut the line but he came in after us and wasnt in the line when we walked by it.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many of them already benefit from the "miracle flights" where they board in a wheelchair and quickly *run* off (often pushing other passengers out of the way) when deplaning at the destination.
if a couple of people cheat because we adopt a system that helps a lot of people who otherwise would be extremely hindered, that seems like a very small price to pay. move on with your life and forget about it.
wrp96, Newman55 and FabCW like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Yes, my uncle needs a wheelchair and we bypassed the lines at JFK three times, the wheelchair person takes you straight in and up the elevator at t4.
Great. Now the bloggers will start suggesting that their credit card customers use wheelchair service even though they don't need it, just so that they can get into SCs quickly and ahead of other DL customers.
dw, jamesteroh and PanAmSam like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
if a couple of people cheat because we adopt a system that helps a lot of people who otherwise would be extremely hindered, that seems like a very small price to pay. move on with your life and forget about it.
It can be far more than a couple people on the miracle flights. This practice can create waits for those who really need wheelchairs and increases cost unnecessarily for the airline or airport that is paying for the service. It also causes the miracle flights to require more time to board, thus straining GA staff shortages and potentially delaying all passengers, including those who do not cheat in this way.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It can be far more than a couple people on the miracle flights. This practice can create waits for those who really need wheelchairs and increases cost unnecessarily for the airline or airport that is paying for the service. It also causes the miracle flights to require more time to board, thus straining GA staff shortages and potentially delaying all passengers, including those who do not cheat in this way.
yes, this is a totally valid complaint about people behaving badly, which is different than what you started with, which was a complaint that Delta's policy of being nice to people in wheelchairs was "very unfair."
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
"It can be far more than a couple people on the miracle flights. This practice can create waits for those who really need wheelchairs and increases cost unnecessarily for the airline or airport that is paying for the service. It also causes the miracle flights to require more time to board, thus straining GA staff shortages and potentially delaying all passengers, including those who do not cheat in this way."

100% agree. Take a winter flight on WN to FLL, MCO, RSW, etc. It's disgusting how many abuse the preboard privilege and suddenly walk off the plane upon arrival without an issue. This same group will be the ones abusing DL's policy.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Two weeks ago--ATL-LAS 12 wheel chairs. Upon landing I saw 4 of those who supposedly needed them in ATL moving without issues in LAS. Could have been more, but I was upfront on a 757. So those are just the ones I saw. And yes, the wheel chairs were waiting in the jetway. They just hustled past them trying to beat everyone to the escalators to the trams. I fly this route (and vv) frequently. This behavior happens on almost every flight.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Two weeks ago--ATL-LAS 12 wheel chairs. Upon landing I saw 4 of those who supposedly needed them in ATL moving without issues in LAS. Could have been more, but I was upfront on a 757. So those are just the ones I saw. And yes, the wheel chairs were waiting in the jetway. They just hustled past them trying to beat everyone to the escalators to the trams. I fly this route (and vv) frequently. This behavior happens on almost every flight.
Just because someone needs a wheelchair for part of their trip doesn’t mean they are trying to cheat the system. My mom needs a wheelchair but she can walk short distances when she feels okay. She can’t walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. If you saw her, you might think she doesn’t have any issue. It’s more complicated than what this thread tends to oversimplify…
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Topic check please. This is not a thread to debate wheel chairs. Please keep this thread on topic to avoid a post deletion/cleanup.

Thanks
Ryandc99 Moderator Delta Air Lines
lindros2 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by dw
I feel like I see these posts every week now. (Seems
shorter than before though? Or maybe bc 2:45 pm is earlier than most transatlantic passengers arrive?)

https://twitter.com/mattcaviation/st...IbRGC2Nqmo8eeA
I've always avoided JFK but flew through for the first time in maybe 10 years yesterday and went to this club (whichever one it is). Arrived around 4:30 and there was a line about 15 people deep that moved very quickly.

What was interesting though, is that when I got upstairs I saw at least 20 seats open (no bags near them, all plates and glasses cleared) and that was just on the side I walked through. I'm not sure how they're tracking headcount but it might need a little fine tuning.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:20 pm

My understanding is that capacity limits are basically set by fire marshal regulations and aren't necessarily tied to the number of empty seats. Moreover, people could take their belongings to the lavatories or when they queue to talk to an agent during IROPs or stop at the buffet or bar before finding a seat.
photojojo and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
They should make ATL F a D1 lounge only. Everyone else flying international can go to E.
Just the opposite. There are fewer D1 pax, so they should go to D and leave F for the larger group.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Just the opposite. There are fewer D1 pax, so they should go to D and leave F for the larger group.
D? Why D? It's not close to the gates DL uses for flights with D1 cabins.
pbjag, becks1, FabCW and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
New for me - T, Both A, B and C ATL clubs full

I've never seen this nor been denied entry due to capacity before let alone several clubs at once.

What is going on?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.