Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM earnings on Delta metal award flights under new policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Nick at FM and Lucky at OMAT are reporting that Delta award flights will now earn MDQ and MQM's (see https://onemileatatime.com/news/delta-skymiles-award-tickets-elite-status/ and https://frequentmiler.com/permanent-change-earn-elite-credit-with-delta-award-tickets/ .

Neither of them report how MQMs on award flights will be calculated.

Anyone seen anything definitive on this? TIA.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by DaveH
Nick at FM and Lucky at OMAT are reporting that Delta award flights will now earn MDQ and MQM's (see https://onemileatatime.com/news/delt...-elite-status/ and https://frequentmiler.com/permanent-...award-tickets/ .

Neither of them report how MQMs on award flights will be calculated.

Anyone seen anything definitive on this? TIA.
The same way as on cash tickets - by mileage flown. First class gets 1.5x mileage flown
DaveH, MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just a permanent extension of a promo that's being going on for many months. It's not actually new and has been covered here extensively. MQD earn is based on miles redeemed divided by 100. As noted above FC/PS/D1 awards earn, 150% MQM based on miles flown. Mileage chart does not seem to distinguish full-fare FC/D1 awards (OJ class) from OC/OD/OI/OZ class awards, so presumably they only earn 150% MQM and not 200% -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...delta#earnMQMs

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 4, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The same way as on cash tickets - by mileage flown. First class gets 1.5x mileage flown
Thanks to you both for the speedy, helpful replies! Interesting--nice to know there is no difference between MQMs on award vs. paid tickets.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Thanks to OP. I was just about to ask the same thing.

Follow up question: I booked an international award ticket for September, C+ outbound and PS return. Both flights in the app are shown as Sky Priority. Will I get 100% or 150% MQM for the C+ flight?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
C+ should earn 100% MQMs. FC, PS, and D1 earn 150%.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
MQDs on award ticket from someone else"s account?
When I book an award ticket from my account it shows the MQDs as now expected. However my husband booked an award ticket for me and it showed 0 MQDs for the flight. Is this correct?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mmgm
MQDs on award ticket from someone else"s account?
When I book an award ticket from my account it shows the MQDs as now expected. However my husband booked an award ticket for me and it showed 0 MQDs for the flight. Is this correct?
No -- the person traveling will still earn MQDs on an award ticket even if the miles come from someone else's account. (Out of curiosity, were the two test bookings for identical flights? There is a known bug where MQDs are not correctly shown for Delta Connection segments on award tickets)
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:48 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by Zorak
No -- the person traveling will still earn MQDs on an award ticket even if the miles come from someone else's account. (Out of curiosity, were the two test bookings for identical flights? There is a known bug where MQDs are not correctly shown for Delta Connection segments on award tickets)
They were actual bookings- not on delta connection. Hopefully When it says 0 MQDs for an award flight for someone else it means the owner of the original account receives no miles- as expected.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mmgm
They were actual bookings- not on delta connection. Hopefully When it says 0 MQDs for an award flight for someone else it means the owner of the original account receives no miles- as expected.
That may be the explanation then, but in either way I can confirm firsthand that the traveler earns MQDs on award tickets booked using someone else's miles.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Not sure if there was a glitch or not, but when booking an award flight for December 2022, I see how much MQMs I'll earn before confirming the booking. When I tried to book an award fare for February 2023, I don't see any MQM earning at all. Both award flights are in main cabin. Is there a way to check MQM earnings in the app?
Old May 26, 2022, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the policy permanent or only for 2022? AFAIK it's permanent, but perhaps DL has the computer system set up as if it end at the end of this calendar year/
Old May 26, 2022, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the policy permanent or only for 2022? AFAIK it's permanent, but perhaps DL has the computer system set up as if it end at the end of this calendar year/
My understanding is that the policy is permanent. In the time it took for you to respond, I decided to do a couple of more searches. Any 2022 award booking display the amount of MQMs earned. Any 2023 award booking shows zero MQMs earned. Same flights and they're all DL-operated flights.

Do you mind giving this a try yourself? I don't know what's the problem.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was just formally made permanent recently on March 31st, 2022 (along with removing 75K mile earning cap) -- https://news.delta.com/delta-rewards...m-enhancements
Most likely, they simply haven't gotten around to updating calculator to reflect the new permanent status. It's not all that surprising given there are already known bugs in calculator -- DL connection carrier flights all show as earning 0 MQM/MQD even they actually qualify and credit correctly after being flown.,
lsquare likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
It was just formally made permanent recently on March 31st, 2022 (along with removing 75K mile earning cap) -- https://news.delta.com/delta-rewards...m-enhancements
Most likely, they simply haven't gotten around to updating calculator to reflect the new permanent status. It's not all that surprising given there are already known bugs in calculator -- DL connection carrier flights all show as earning 0 MQM/MQD even they actually qualify and credit correctly after being flown.,
Do you mind trying an award search and reporting back what you see in 2023?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.