Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM earnings on Delta metal award flights under new policy?

MQM earnings on Delta metal award flights under new policy?

Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:39 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 2,221
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Exploring some award ticket options ex-LGA/JFK to YVR/YUL. DL-marketed, but operated by "Endeavor Air DBA Delta Connection". Looks like still no MQM/MQD earnings....I had assumed Endeavor flights are "technically" DL metal.

Thoughts?
DL Connection earns elite credit.

Whether the website shows MQD etc. when booking an award is another question.

(I guess that when the new CR2 SkyWest services begin, those won't earn elite credit, but those won't be Delta Connection).
hhdl is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:59 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Posts: 6,429
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Exploring some award ticket options ex-LGA/JFK to YVR/YUL. DL-marketed, but operated by "Endeavor Air DBA Delta Connection". Looks like still no MQM/MQD earnings....I had assumed Endeavor flights are "technically" DL metal.

Thoughts?
I don't know about YVR but we've stopped flying NYC/YUL. We do the trip a few times a year and find that door-to-door time is faster driving (with NEXUS for border crossing) than flying. The trip is also a LOT less expensive - airfare, auto rental at YUL, as well as a lot less hassle.
We leave Northern NJ in the GW Bridge area and our typical destination is near YUL in Dollard-Des Ormeaux.

A side benefit - NEXUS is half the price of GE and includes GE.

9E (Endeavor) gets the same credit as mainline. It's a wholly owned subsidiary of DL.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Feb 5, 2023 at 2:26 pm
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:31 am
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,788
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Exploring some award ticket options ex-LGA/JFK to YVR/YUL. DL-marketed, but operated by "Endeavor Air DBA Delta Connection". Looks like still no MQM/MQD earnings....I had assumed Endeavor flights are "technically" DL metal.

Thoughts?
This is a long-standing bug in the calculator and has been brought up here from time to time. Connection carrier flights are excluded from the calculator totals even though they are eligible just like mainline flights. The flights will credit correctly once flown.
metalblaze likes this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:00 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,609
Another Mileage Calculator Bug?

Originally Posted by Zorak
No -- the person traveling will still earn MQDs on an award ticket even if the miles come from someone else's account. (Out of curiosity, were the two test bookings for identical flights? There is a known bug where MQDs are not correctly shown for Delta Connection segments on award tickets)
That is what I thought. I went to book a Delta mileage redemption for myself using wife's account and her miles. On the check-out page, the mileage calculator said, "Bowgie (but my real name) MQM earned = 0 MQD earned = 0"

My recollection is that MQM's and MQD's always accrue to the person flying -- just like flights paid with money. I haven't tested this on a flown booking in quite a while, though.
MikeyZBT likes this.
Bowgie is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2023, 6:18 pm
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,788
Originally Posted by Bowgie
That is what I thought. I went to book a Delta mileage redemption for myself using wife's account and her miles. On the check-out page, the mileage calculator said, "Bowgie (but my real name) MQM earned = 0 MQD earned = 0"

My recollection is that MQM's and MQD's always accrue to the person flying -- just like flights paid with money. I haven't tested this on a flown booking in quite a while, though.
You didn't mention whether they were DL Connection carrier flights or not where the calculator has a bug (I'm assuming these aren't partner operated flights which are ineligible).
xliioper is offline  
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:24 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,609
These were all Delta mainline flights SAN-DTW-MSP and MSP-SAN return.
Bowgie is offline  
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:18 pm
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,788
Originally Posted by Bowgie
These were all Delta mainline flights SAN-DTW-MSP and MSP-SAN return.
I just tried from wife's account and it shows those flights will earn MQM/MQD when booked for myself (although the MQM amount looks to be pretty far off). Are you sure you didn't select Basic Economy awards? These no longer earn miles/MQMs/MQDs (whether booked as revenue or award flights).
xliioper is offline  
Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:42 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: DCA, IAD
Posts: 82
Just booked a flight with miles from DCA-LGA on Republican Airways DBA Delta Connection. The calculator showed nothing, but I suppose they'll come around after the flight. Not Basic Economy.
bpc3qh is offline  
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:00 pm
  #54  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,788
Originally Posted by bpc3qh
Just booked a flight with miles from DCA-LGA on Republican Airways DBA Delta Connection. The calculator showed nothing, but I suppose they'll come around after the flight. Not Basic Economy.
Yes, they will credit correctly once flown. Longstanding calculator bug.
MikeyZBT likes this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:02 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ATL
Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Posts: 5,225
Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, they will credit correctly once flown. Longstanding calculator bug.
I just priced out, with miles, a US-Europe roundtrip for next summer and the calculator said "0 MQMs"... that's an error still, right?
MikeyZBT is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:13 am
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,788
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I just priced out, with miles, a US-Europe roundtrip for next summer and the calculator said "0 MQMs"... that's an error still, right?
Are these Delta or partner operated flights? If they are partner operated, then the calculator is correct as only Delta/DL Connection carrier operated award flights earn MQM/MQD. I just did a test with an award booking to EU and DL operated itins show as earning MQM/MQD as expected. The bug only affects DL Connection carrier operated award flights which will earn MQM/MQD even though calculator does not count them.
lsquare likes this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2023, 2:37 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,609
Bug is Gone?

Originally Posted by xliioper
I just tried from wife's account and it shows those flights will earn MQM/MQD when booked for myself (although the MQM amount looks to be pretty far off). Are you sure you didn't select Basic Economy awards? These no longer earn miles/MQMs/MQDs (whether booked as revenue or award flights).
No, these were all Main Cabin fairs booked in June 2023. The behavior of the calculator changed in August, and now flights booked with wife's miles show correctly. I think this was just a web page bug that did not affect actual earned miles.
Bowgie is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:14 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 283
So if I booked on Delta metal, my flight get's cancelled on partners I don't get any points for the award flights? Just want to make sure I understand this correctly
Was booked BOS-DTW (Delta) DTW-ICN (Delta) ICN-BKK (Korean Air
Ended up BOS-ICN (Korean Air) ICN-BKK (Korean Air)
return booked BKK-ICN (Korean Air), ICN-MSP (Delta) MSP-BOS (Delta)
Ended up BKK-NRT (JAL) NRT-BOS (JAL)
disalex is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:59 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3,095
Originally Posted by disalex
So if I booked on Delta metal, my flight get's cancelled on partners I don't get any points for the award flights? Just want to make sure I understand this correctly
Was booked BOS-DTW (Delta) DTW-ICN (Delta) ICN-BKK (Korean Air
Ended up BOS-ICN (Korean Air) ICN-BKK (Korean Air)
return booked BKK-ICN (Korean Air), ICN-MSP (Delta) MSP-BOS (Delta)
Ended up BKK-NRT (JAL) NRT-BOS (JAL)
By default you will see earnings post as actually flown. You can request original routing credit and get the earn for the flights you originally booked.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:12 pm
  #60  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,788
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
By default you will see earnings post as actually flown. You can request original routing credit and get the earn for the flights you originally booked.
Assuming these were all due to IRROPs (and not advance schedule changes). Presumably the case here since DL generally won't rebook on non-partners like JAL for an advance schedule change. Note that ORC would only be due for BOS-DTW/DTW-ICN and ICN-MSP/MSP-BOS legs.
xliioper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.