Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM earnings on Delta metal award flights under new policy?

MQM earnings on Delta metal award flights under new policy?

Old May 26, 2022, 3:31 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,727
Originally Posted by lsquare
Do you mind trying an award search and reporting back what you see in 2023?
Yes, I see the same thing. Just noting you probably shouldn't take the calculator seriously as the change to permanent status was only fairly recent and previously (in 2021) they had only extended earning through 2022 and the calculator is likely still programmed with that prior policy.
lsquare and ithacxa like this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:44 pm
  #17  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,164
PSA: If you've had a D1, FC, or especially PS award ticket, make sure that you're credited 150% MQMs. DL's IT seems to do only 100% when miles post automatically. I called the DM line just now (37 minutes with zero wait time) and fortunately the agent agreed with me, but when she called SkyMiles, the person there (who *should* be an expert about stuff like this) said 100% so my agent had to find documentation to point out to the SkyMiles person.

This seems to affect just PS, not FC. I don't have any data points for D1 award tickets. My ticket was an award ticket in PS which I immediately upgraded to D1 with GUCs, so that the ticket I flew showed as O class.

The good news is that the correction posted to my account instantly and I can see the correct MQMs on the app.
RhinoDL and ithacxa like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:52 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K
Posts: 60
I found a very good TPAC award booking on Delta.com that I wanted to snag quickly, but when I looked at the MQM/MQD earning section, I saw that my award booking would accrue NO MQMs or MQDs. Weird, I thought, because I know the policy changed to allow accruals. I then decided to call the DM desk to ask for clarification. Well.....this is when it becomes frustrating. The first agent initially said award bookings earned neither MQMs or MQDs; after I showed her the website that specifically said otherwise, she put me on hold for almost 40 minutes as she tried to ask around. I did a HUCA. The second agent AGAIN was unaware of the new policy and put me on a 15-minute hold. When she came back, she told me that they did change it for this year, but that their documentation does not explicitly say that it was "there to stay." I very nicely told her that on their website (https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...arn-with-delta), the following is explicitly mentioned: "Earn toward Medallion Status on Delta Award Travel is here to stay." We went around in circles, and after about 5 minutes, I thanked her for her time and told her to raise this inconsistency up with the powers-that-be.

I felt bad for the two agents being unaware - and yes, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt about their lack of awareness of the policy. As for management, well let's just say I'm enjoying my ANA status match a lot...
ithacxa is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:00 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 958
Originally Posted by ithacxa
I found a very good TPAC award booking on Delta.com that I wanted to snag quickly, but when I looked at the MQM/MQD earning section, I saw that my award booking would accrue NO MQMs or MQDs. Weird, I thought, because I know the policy changed to allow accruals. I then decided to call the DM desk to ask for clarification. Well.....this is when it becomes frustrating. The first agent initially said award bookings earned neither MQMs or MQDs; after I showed her the website that specifically said otherwise, she put me on hold for almost 40 minutes as she tried to ask around. I did a HUCA. The second agent AGAIN was unaware of the new policy and put me on a 15-minute hold. When she came back, she told me that they did change it for this year, but that their documentation does not explicitly say that it was "there to stay." I very nicely told her that on their website (https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...arn-with-delta), the following is explicitly mentioned: "Earn toward Medallion Status on Delta Award Travel is here to stay." We went around in circles, and after about 5 minutes, I thanked her for her time and told her to raise this inconsistency up with the powers-that-be.

I felt bad for the two agents being unaware - and yes, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt about their lack of awareness of the policy. As for management, well let's just say I'm enjoying my ANA status match a lot...
Why do you call if you already have your answers and are challenging the reps with info directly from the site,?
smartytravel is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:33 am
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,727
Originally Posted by ithacxa
I found a very good TPAC award booking on Delta.com that I wanted to snag quickly, but when I looked at the MQM/MQD earning section, I saw that my award booking would accrue NO MQMs or MQDs. Weird, I thought, because I know the policy changed to allow accruals. I then decided to call the DM desk to ask for clarification. Well.....this is when it becomes frustrating. The first agent initially said award bookings earned neither MQMs or MQDs; after I showed her the website that specifically said otherwise, she put me on hold for almost 40 minutes as she tried to ask around. I did a HUCA. The second agent AGAIN was unaware of the new policy and put me on a 15-minute hold. When she came back, she told me that they did change it for this year, but that their documentation does not explicitly say that it was "there to stay." I very nicely told her that on their website (https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...arn-with-delta), the following is explicitly mentioned: "Earn toward Medallion Status on Delta Award Travel is here to stay." We went around in circles, and after about 5 minutes, I thanked her for her time and told her to raise this inconsistency up with the powers-that-be.

I felt bad for the two agents being unaware - and yes, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt about their lack of awareness of the policy. As for management, well let's just say I'm enjoying my ANA status match a lot...
Was any of the award on Delta metal? MQM/MQD earning only applies to award flights that are DL operated and marketed. Calculator shows correctly for me as long as flights meet that requirement. Just recalled that they haven't updated calculator to include flights after 12/31/2022 (there are a couple posts on bug upthread). When they initially extended MQM/MQD earning on awards, it was only until the end of 2022 (they later made it permanent in another announcement). So if your flights are in 2023 and are DL operated/marketed, it's just a programming bug in calculator and nothing to get excited about. Agents are pretty much useless concerning most of this stuff -- it's best just to ask your questions on program details here as forum members are far more informed on these topics than most agents.



Goodoldflyer likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 8, 2022 at 9:09 am
xliioper is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:57 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CVG
Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Posts: 2,183
Originally Posted by xliioper
When they initially extended MQM/MQD earning on awards, it was only until the end of 2022 (they later made it permanent in another announcement). So if your flights are in 2023 and are DL operated/marketed, it's just a programming bug in calculator and nothing to get excited about.
Confirmed. This was confusing as hell while searching for future travel. There must have been another goof going on a few weeks ago because there were instances where the boxed area showing what you'll earn wasn't showing up. I haven't been able to replicate the error but (incorrectly) assumed it was because I wasn't logged in. *shrug*
photojojo is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:08 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PSA: If you've had a D1, FC, or especially PS award ticket, make sure that you're credited 150% MQMs. DL's IT seems to do only 100% when miles post automatically. I called the DM line just now (37 minutes with zero wait time) and fortunately the agent agreed with me, but when she called SkyMiles, the person there (who *should* be an expert about stuff like this) said 100% so my agent had to find documentation to point out to the SkyMiles person.

This seems to affect just PS, not FC. I don't have any data points for D1 award tickets. My ticket was an award ticket in PS which I immediately upgraded to D1 with GUCs, so that the ticket I flew showed as O class.

The good news is that the correction posted to my account instantly and I can see the correct MQMs on the app.
Has this glitch been corrected? I recently had PS award redeemed and used GUC to D1 and initially it credited 150% but then after a few hours it reverted to 100%. i called Skymiles and they said to wait and it will auto correct but should I call again for them to manually credit 150%. Thanks
mnlfqtv is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:26 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,727
Originally Posted by mnlfqtv
Has this glitch been corrected? I recently had PS award redeemed and used GUC to D1 and initially it credited 150% but then after a few hours it reverted to 100%. i called Skymiles and they said to wait and it will auto correct but should I call again for them to manually credit 150%. Thanks
I upgraded PS award with GUC back in May and it credited correctly at 150% MQM.
xliioper is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:29 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by xliioper
I upgraded PS award with GUC back in May and it credited correctly at 150% MQM.
thanks. i will wait a bit...
mnlfqtv is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:25 am
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,164
Originally Posted by xliioper
I upgraded PS award with GUC back in May and it credited correctly at 150% MQM.
My travel was in June.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:19 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 459
I am almost sure this is a Delta IT glitch

But at checkout on an award ticket with Delta flight number operated by Republic it was estimating 0 MQMs and 0 MQDs.

Anyone else seen this with award travel invoving Delta connection carriers?
I am sure once flight is flown it will earn.
Keith2004 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:30 am
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,727
Originally Posted by Keith2004
I am almost sure this is a Delta IT glitch

But at checkout on an award ticket with Delta flight number operated by Republic it was estimating 0 MQMs and 0 MQDs.

Anyone else seen this with award travel invoving Delta connection carriers?
I am sure once flight is flown it will earn.
The glitch with the calculator not including DL Connection carrier award flights has been documented here a number of times (it extends back to the status accelerator program last year). The flights will credit MQM/MQS/MQD correctly once flown.
Keith2004 likes this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:48 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by xliioper
I upgraded PS award with GUC back in May and it credited correctly at 150% MQM.
Then if that’s the case, why this? Zorak is saying that there is no bonus MQMs when on an award ticket, or am I missing something here?

Zorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Quote:
Originally Posted by audidudi View Post
3 questions here…apologies in advance if this has been previously discussed:
If I apply a GUC on an International DL flight, do I get a 50% MQM bonus, on an award ticket, if the GUC clears? This is from MC on a non-PS equipped A330 straight to D1. Would the same apply from MC to PS on an A330 if so equipped?
If I apply a GUC on a Domestic DL flight, do I get a 50% MQM bonus, on an award ticket, if the GUC clears?
If I apply an RUC on a Domestic DL flight, do I get a 50% MQM bonus, on an award ticket, if the RUC clears?
Thank you.
None of those will earn bonus MQMs. The two-letter O_ upgrade classes will always earn based on what you originally paid for.

Last edited by audidudi; Sep 27, 2022 at 1:53 pm
audidudi is online now  
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:58 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,727
Originally Posted by audidudi
Then if that’s the case, why this? Zorak is saying that there is no bonus MQMs when on an award ticket, or am I missing something here?

Zorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Quote:
Originally Posted by audidudi View Post
3 questions here…apologies in advance if this has been previously discussed:
If I apply a GUC on an International DL flight, do I get a 50% MQM bonus, on an award ticket, if the GUC clears?
If I apply a GUC on a Domestic DL flight, do I get a 50% MQM bonus, on an award ticket, if the GUC clears?
If I apply an RUC on a Domestic DL flight, do I get a 50% MQM bonus, on an award ticket, if the RUC clears?
Thank you.
None of those will earn bonus MQMs. The two-letter O_ upgrade classes will always earn based on what you originally paid for.
PS awards (on DL metal) get 50% bonus MQMs due to PS class of service bonus (coach awards do not). If you apply GUC to coach award, you are not entitled to 50% bonus MQMs, but if you apply it to a PS award, you are entitled 50% bonus due to originally booking a PS award. It seems some people get bonus for PS without having to do anything, and some people don't. My 50% bonus for PS award (upgraded with GUC) posted without me having to contact them.

MSPeconomist likes this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:41 pm
  #30  
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WAS
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Posts: 18,684
Originally Posted by audidudi
Then if thats the case, why this? Zorak is saying that there is no bonus MQMs when on an award ticket, or am I missing something here?
Sorry, I should've clarified that you won't get the bonus based on the upgraded class of service, but you would still get any bonus attributable to your originally purchased cabin, if applicable. I'll edit my reply in the other thread.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Zorak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.