Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM earnings on Delta metal award flights under new policy?

MQM earnings on Delta metal award flights under new policy?

Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
If flying on VS metal (MCO>LHR), do we earn MQMs and MQDs? Bought my wife (no status) a ticket on DL's website using my Skymiles. And transferred Chase points to VS to purchase my ticket. I'm currently Silver. Wondering if I need to cancel my ticket with VS, my wife's ticket using DL miles and purchase in reverse.

Saw the 'how to earn miles on airline partners' page but wasn't clear on award travel.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

Edit: Answered my own question by checking the link. "No miles are earned for Award Travel."

Last edited by ChevyCruze; Oct 8, 2022 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
If flying on VS metal (MCO>LHR), do we earn MQMs and MQDs? Bought my wife (no status) a ticket on DL's website using my Skymiles. And transferred Chase points to VS to purchase my ticket. I'm currently Silver. Wondering if I need to cancel my ticket with VS, my wife's ticket using DL miles and purchase in reverse.

Saw the 'how to earn miles on airline partners' page but wasn't clear on award travel.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners
No, only both DL marketed and metal award fligths (purchased with Skymiles) earn MQM/MQD/MQS. The earning requirements for awards are the same as they were during the Status Accelerator program last year.
kthomas and ChevyCruze like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted. Double post.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
How long does it take for award miles to post?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scklumb
IME about the same amount of time as for a similar ticket paid with money.
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME about the same amount of time as for a similar ticket paid with money.
lol. Which is?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by scklumb
MQMs, MQDs, MQSs, and award miles from flight activity usually post within a few hours to a day after the flight is complete, sometimes longer especially if partner flights are involved.

Since you posted this in the "earnings on award tickets" thread, it's not clear if you're asking about a flight that you used award miles to book, in which case you would get MQM/MQD/MQS but would /not/ receive award miles.

Rather than us guessing what edge cases may or may not apply, it might be faster if you explained what exactly you booked, what accruals you are expecting to see but haven't yet, and how long it has been.
kthomas, MSPeconomist and audidudi like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Checking in with the peanut gallery, do we think the MQM earning on award tickets is actually permanent and will continue into 2023? I just booked a D1 award flight in April and it showed 0 for the MQM calculation. When I search DL.com for MQM's on award tickets it still says only through December 31, 2022.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Checking in with the peanut gallery, do we think the MQM earning on award tickets is actually permanent and will continue into 2023? I just booked a D1 award flight in April and it showed 0 for the MQM calculation. When I search DL.com for MQM's on award tickets it still says only through December 31, 2022.
I could be wrong, but if they were going to renege I think they would still at least announce it sooner than 1.5 months to go. They probably just haven't updated the programming yet.

(Just to be clear, I'm assuming this is D1 on a DL-operated flight, not an award flight operated by a partner, but asking since it shows up in the same column of the booking search results...)
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:26 pm

extending earning MQMs on sky miles flights

It's worth noting that United announced very recently that with tickets obtained using United points/miles, in the future they will award both elite qualifying credit and regular miles/points that can be used towards future travel. I hope Delta decides to stay competitive with this and extends the MQM earnings from similes flights. Is it true that DL does not give regular sky miles for award travel? If they don't maybe they'll go the way United is going and award both MQMs and regular sky miles on award tickets.
DCAproducer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
While nothing is forever, I see Delta keeping MQM earning on award flights for the foreseeable future. It is a competitive advantage

But how would awarding redeemable SkyMiles on award tickets work - you are redeeming SkyMiles for your flying. Are you asking for effectively a rebate of SkyMiles?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by Zorak
I could be wrong, but if they were going to renege I think they would still at least announce it sooner than 1.5 months to go. They probably just haven't updated the programming yet.

(Just to be clear, I'm assuming this is D1 on a DL-operated flight, not an award flight operated by a partner, but asking since it shows up in the same column of the booking search results...)
Domestic transcon D1 ticket on DL metal.

Im assuming DL.com isnt updated to reflect the change. The press release from the spring definitely says permanent.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Domestic transcon D1 ticket on DL metal.

Im assuming DL.com isn’t updated to reflect the change. The press release from the spring definitely says permanent.
Here's the press release that says it permanent -- https://news.delta.com/delta-rewards...m-enhancements

Others have noted the buggy programming on the estimator not counting next year's flights. They had originally only announced that MQM earning would continue through this year (after Status Accelerator ended), but then later made it permanent with above announcement. Most likely they only updated the estimator based on original announcement and did not fix it after later announcement above.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Here's the press release that says it permanent -- https://news.delta.com/delta-rewards...m-enhancements

Others have noted the buggy programming on the estimator not counting next year's flights. They had originally only announced that MQM earning would continue through this year (after Status Accelerator ended), but then later made it permanent with above announcement. Most likely they only updated the estimator based on original announcement and did not fix it after later announcement above.
I am hoping that's the case. We shall see come 1/1/23
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
Only both DL marketed and metal award fligths (purchased with Skymiles) earn MQM/MQD/MQS.
Exploring some award ticket options ex-LGA/JFK to YVR/YUL. DL-marketed, but operated by "Endeavor Air DBA Delta Connection". Looks like still no MQM/MQD earnings....I had assumed Endeavor flights are "technically" DL metal.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.