Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
May I cancel an award booking made with DL within t-24 before departure?
As long as it is not a Basic Economy award, the policy allows for cancellation and redeposit without fees up to departure for awards originating in North America (although it also generally appears to be true for flights outside as well). BE awards can be cancelled for refund, but there is a mileage penalty. Note that if you book a roundtrip, the return cannot be cancelled for redeposit after travel begins on outbound and becomes non-refundable (unless there is a cancellation or irregular ops or you convince DL to make an exception).

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-p...ng-made-simple

"The following policies apply for Award Tickets for travel originating in North America to anywhere in the world, excluding Basic Economy tickets:**
  • Award Ticket redeposit and reissue fees have been eliminated
  • Members may change or cancel Award Tickets before departure and changes and cancellations made within 72 hours of departure will not result in the loss of miles"
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:18 am

LATAM award flight bought with SkyMiles

deleted

Last edited by dogcanyon; Aug 8, 2022 at 11:07 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:29 am

This is probably a very stupid question, but does Delta have an equivalent of plus points or are all upgrades purely based on status?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by vbiagiot
This is probably a very stupid question, but does Delta have an equivalent of plus points or are all upgrades purely based on status?
DL has regional/global upgrade certificates abbreviated as RUC/GUC, similar to UA's RPUs/GPUs that preceded Plus Points.

The related FT threads are:

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles Platinum
What is the best resource to find Delta sales that will get me the most MQMs for the least amount of money? I need 50K MqMs to make Diamond this year. I am Platinum status. I can't find the easiest way to see what flights are going cheap and have lots of MQMs. Main airport is ATL.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by deedledoo
What is the best resource to find Delta sales that will get me the most MQMs for the least amount of money? I need 50K MqMs to make Diamond this year. I am Platinum status. I can't find the easiest way to see what flights are going cheap and have lots of MQMs. Main airport is ATL.
The ones that actually take you somewhere you want to go.

I know your first instinct will be to think that's not the right answer, but seriously, those are the cheapest.

The second cheapest would be to rollover those above making platinum, and keep status another year. There are advantages to both approaches.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Welcome to FT! There's a thread in the Mileage Run Discussion forum that is basically a "find me a mileage run" service: DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

There is a template in the wiki at the top of that thread that you can copy and paste as a template -- post a reply to that thread and fill in the requested info.

If you don't currently have a SkyMiles co-branded AMEX card, the Delta Platinum and Delta Reserve AMEX usually have MQM bonuses as part of their signup offers.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you already satisfied the MQD requirement (or waiver) for DM?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:20 pm

Question - I am stuck with a ton of delta miles that I would like to exchange.

Is there a place/site that I can find others who are members of other programs who would be willing to do a 1:1 exchange?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
DL has regional/global upgrade certificates abbreviated as RUC/GUC, similar to UA's RPUs/GPUs that preceded Plus Points.

The related FT threads are:

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Also on some international routes you can do a Mileage Upgrade Award if you bought the appropriate fare class ticket (usually a pretty expensive form of economy) where you can use miles to upgrade the ticket.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:20 am

soon-to-be-platinum — 2022 and 2023 choice benefits?

I expect to attain platinum near the end of this year, likely with no flights after I get it.

A couple questions on that—
1. Does that mean I will be able to pick a platinum choice benefit for both 2022 and 2023?
2. and if so, given the new expiration rules on upgrade certs, would I essentially be wasting my 2022 choice benefit since I only have until EOY to use them?

appreciate it!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by download
I expect to attain platinum near the end of this year, likely with no flights after I get it.

A couple questions on that—
1. Does that mean I will be able to pick a platinum choice benefit for both 2022 and 2023?
2. and if so, given the new expiration rules on upgrade certs, would I essentially be wasting my 2022 choice benefit since I only have until EOY to use them?

appreciate it!
You will only be able to pick one Choice Benefit. If you pick the RUCs they should be good through the duration of status earned for 2023 (so through January 31, 2024).
download likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta
MQDs on Flying Blue award travel

Newbie here! If I book award travel on Air France using flying blue miles and add my skymiles account, can I earn MQDs and MQMs in the same way that I would if I paid for the flight with cash?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gh_traveler
Newbie here! If I book award travel on Air France using flying blue miles and add my skymiles account, can I earn MQDs and MQMs in the same way that I would if I paid for the flight with cash?
No, MQD/MQMs are only earned on flights that are both Delta marketed and operated and redeemed with Skymiles awards. Zero chance you will get any credit for an AF operated flight since even DL Skymiles awards on AF operated equipment doesn't earn MQM/MQD.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by xliioper
No, MQD/MQMs are only earned on flights that are both Delta marketed and operated and redeemed with Skymiles awards. Zero chance you will get any credit for an AF operated flight since even DL Skymiles awards on AF operated equipment doesn't earn MQM/MQD.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.