Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL, B6
Originally Posted by RDP
I'm flying soon, and had the "my middle name!" panic attack.

Skymiles profile: John Doe
Skymiles redemption ticket: John Doe
Secure Flight info: None
Passport info loaded into Skymiles: No
Delta FlyReady Passport info: John Francis Doe

Do I have to update anything before my flight to register my middle name?

Going forward (but after upcoming trip) should I try to change my Skymiles profile name? This is only coming up now as I have not flown on Delta in almost a decade.

thanks,
RDP
I did this via the messaging service recently when I needed to add my middle name to five reservations for global traveller/Pre-Check access and it was fairly painless.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Award mileage reversal fees

Hello. New to DL and no elite status in SkyMiles.
Are award bookings cancelable without fees? To be returned to award account?
For a 3 month status match to UA 1K, what benefits are available fir 3 months flying on award tickets using KLM or AF?
Lounge entrance? Extra baggage allowances?
Thanks for any knowledgeable replies.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. New to DL and no elite status in SkyMiles.
Are award bookings cancelable without fees? To be returned to award account?
For a 3 month status match to UA 1K, what benefits are available fir 3 months flying on award tickets using KLM or AF?
Lounge entrance? Extra baggage allowances?
Thanks for any knowledgeable replies.
Are you asking about DL status challenges? (DL doesn't normally do status matches.) If so, during the challenge period (usually about three months), you would get the benefits of the status tier from DL, but not from partners. On AF/KLM, there's a chance that a DL lounge would admit you before your flight, if you show a departing boarding pass for the AF/KLM flight and your virtual DL elite card, but SkyPriority/lounge access wouldn't be printed on your boarding pass. Note that in some airports such as JFK, different terminals are used.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you asking about DL status challenges? (DL doesn't normally do status matches.) If so, during the challenge period (usually about three months), you would get the benefits of the status tier from DL, but not from partners. On AF/KLM, there's a chance that a DL lounge would admit you before your flight, if you show a departing boarding pass for the AF/KLM flight and your virtual DL elite card, but SkyPriority/lounge access wouldn't be printed on your boarding pass. Note that in some airports such as JFK, different terminals are used.
Thanks for your prompt reply..in fact status challenge is what I should be asking..i am concerned with SkyTeam lounge access while transiting AMS and CDG.
I read that UA ELITE 1K would correspondence to DL platinum status if granted. Is it even worth the trouble for just lounge access in AMS or CDG? On an economy award ticket are two checked bags allowed over the standard 1 bag?
Lastly, if our travel plans need to change are award miles able to be restored without fees back to DL SKYMILES account
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Hopefully just a temporary glitch

Alternatives to try:
- call in and ask an agent to issue an eCredit for the difference -- could be painful depending on status, not sure what hold times are like currently
- cancel and rebook it yourself -- teeeeeeny risk the fare goes up in between those two steps but pretty unlikely
- but if you are paranoid, and don't mind floating $414 in DL credits you could book the replacement first and then cancel the original
So, this is weird, but for many days it didn't work at all, always showing me my initial purchase price as the price for all flights. Then suddenly it worked, but instead of getting the difference back as ecredit they refunded it back to my credit card. Anybody know what could have caused that?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Tuesday booked ORD/BOS/AMS Delta One using VS points
Flying to ORD the day before on AA, land at 12:30 - booked airport hotel
Who wouldn’t trade an extra night in Amsterdam for a night at ORD.
I see there is a 4 pm to ORD/AMS Monday , any chance to ask to get on a standby list?
I guess at the very least we could pick up out boarding passes for Tuesday.
We obviously would e trading 2 F seats on 2 flights or does Delta just not allow this?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Tuesday booked ORD/BOS/AMS Delta One using VS points
Flying to ORD the day before on AA, land at 12:30 - booked airport hotel
Who wouldn’t trade an extra night in Amsterdam for a night at ORD.
I see there is a 4 pm to ORD/AMS Monday , any chance to ask to get on a standby list?
I guess at the very least we could pick up out boarding passes for Tuesday.
We obviously would e trading 2 F seats on 2 flights or does Delta just not allow this?
DL does not allow standby on international flights. You can potentially do it on the last domestic leg on return, but not on outbound international as in this case.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cagcag
Thanks for your prompt reply..in fact status challenge is what I should be asking..i am concerned with SkyTeam lounge access while transiting AMS and CDG.
I read that UA ELITE 1K would correspondence to DL platinum status if granted. Is it even worth the trouble for just lounge access in AMS or CDG? On an economy award ticket are two checked bags allowed over the standard 1 bag?
Lastly, if our travel plans need to change are award miles able to be restored without fees back to DL SKYMILES account
You seem to misunderstand. During the status challenge period, you get elite benefits ONLY FROM DL and not from partners. This means that you would not get lounge access in CDG (AF) or AMS (KLM) except possibly if flying DL. Before AF/KLM flights, you *might* be able to get DL SC access, but DL only has lounges in the USA. AF/KLM determine baggage allowances on their flights, so you wouldn't get any (additional) free checked bags regardless of whether the ticket is paid with miles or money.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL does not allow standby on international flights. You can potentially do it on the last domestic leg on return, but not on outbound international as in this case.
Thanks,
Does Delta ever open award inventory day of travel?
I assume they upgrade their elites to fill the cabin
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:35 am

Thanks,
DL can open (and close) award inventory at any time, assuming that the flight isn't sold out. However, why wait to the day of departure to try to change your itinerary to some routing that you think is better?

DL doesn't upgrade elites to fill cabins on most international flights.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You seem to misunderstand. During the status challenge period, you get elite benefits ONLY FROM DL and not from partners. This means that you would not get lounge access in CDG (AF) or AMS (KLM) except possibly if flying DL. Before AF/KLM flights, you *might* be able to get DL SC access, but DL only has lounges in the USA. AF/KLM determine baggage allowances on their flights, so you wouldn't get any (additional) free checked bags regardless of whether the ticket is paid with miles or money.
Excellent concise advice. Thank you kindly
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks,
I'd say pretty much zero chance for DL opening up seats for partner awards for day-of travel. I'm seeing some partner inventory availability on KL/AF metal in economy with VS points for day-of departures, but nothing in business and nothing at all on DL metal (either in economy or D1).
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:06 pm

Is it possible to cancel part of a round trip booking? For example, if someone is flying DFW-SLC, then two days later SLC-DFW on the same booking, is it possible to cancel the DFW-SLC part of the booking without having to cancel the entire reservation and booking a new one?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poisson
Is it possible to cancel part of a round trip booking? For example, if someone is flying DFW-SLC, then two days later SLC-DFW on the same booking, is it possible to cancel the DFW-SLC part of the booking without having to cancel the entire reservation and booking a new one?
You will have to do a re-fare of SLC-DFW fare at today's fares. Fares on this route are all one-way fares and the cheapest are $163 one-way X fares with 3-week advance purchase requirement. If you still meet advance purchase requirement for whatever fare you purchased on SLC-DFW and there is still bucket inventory for fare, there may be no fare change for that fare and you would receive an e-Credit for whatever the DFW-SLC fare cost. Otherwise, if SLC-DFW available fares now cost more, they would reduce e-Credit amount from DFW-SLC fare by the additional cost for the new SLC-DFW fare.

On routes like this where all fares are one-way fares, it can make more sense to book one-way flights on two separate tickets if you think you might make a change to one flight or the other so that can keep the existing fare on the flight that isn't changed.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 23, 2022 at 7:26 pm
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:22 pm

Paying with miles using multiple people (and accounts)

Apologies for supposedly basic question: my family has accumulated some miles balances for each member (each one having a separate miles account as mandated by Delta). Up until now we haven't really used these miles but now I would like to ideally buy tickets for my family using it.

Question: what is the right way to purchase tickets for multiple family members using multiple miles accounts? It seems to me there is no seamless way to do so and the only approach (apart from costly miles transfers) is to purchase each ticket separately - which might result in flights not being available by the time I get through the process, prices fluctuating and whatnot.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way? Or am I too spoiled by "normal" business services to think this is completely brain-dead?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.