Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there's much an agent can do if rev management does not release any seats for FCM upgrades other than offer a ticket change to the higher cabin for the fare difference. It's not that unusual for there to be no FCM offers (even if the cabin is relatively empty) if there is only inventory availability in the highest fare buckets. I'm on a PHX-JFK flight next month where only 3 out of 20 FC seats are occupied and there is no FCM offer (all open seats are X'ed out) and when I check on EF there is only J bucket open for FC which is likely why there is no FCM being offered.
elsenor likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 28, 2022 at 1:16 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by elsenor
I'm not sure. I'm also not sure I'm 100% understanding what you mean
I no longer have EF access, but in ITA it didn't appear like Y-UPs were anything remotely cost effective.
Doesn't make sense to me either. And just looking on DL's website w/ a dummy booking for DL134 and all of the X'ed out PS seats are available to select (with a hefty cost)... and a quick check via the app and my reservation, all X'ed out. Maybe I'll dm them on Twitter.
I believe that they don't do Twitter any longer. They'll just tell you to use the text function.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm confused about award cancellations on Delta. When I go through the booking process, it shows the ticket as non-refundable, but when I look at the award fee page, it states that there's no fee for mileage redeposit. So will I be able to cancel and get my miles and fees back if our plans change or not?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm confused about award cancellations on Delta. When I go through the booking process, it shows the ticket as non-refundable, but when I look at the award fee page, it states that there's no fee for mileage redeposit. So will I be able to cancel and get my miles and fees back if our plans change or not?
Yes, you can cancel them up to departure and get miles and taxes back at no charge for awards originating in North America as long they are not BE awards (where there is now a fee). This only applies before travel has begun. If you book a roundtrip and decide not to take the return trip after commencing travel, the remainder of the award is non-refundable --

"Once travel has commenced on an Award ticket, the Award is considered used. Mileage will not be credited back to the account for the unused portion of the ticket."

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 28, 2022 at 10:08 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Note that the AMEX Waiver for DM is $250K. The few people I know who use it, use their card for business expenses. The rest of us make the $15K MQD. Last year's Accelerator and MQD's for Award travel helped a lot. The Award travel is still there for this year.

For the first time, I'm willing to spend a ridiculous number of miles for a TATL J ticket. 600K miles for a $3,000 ticket gets me 6,000 MQD vs less than 3,000 MQD and Much less out of pocket $.
Seems like a waste. If they are DL flights, you could use 300K with Pay with Miles for the $3K fare and still earn MQD for flights this year and have 300K miles left for another trip.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: BA EXEC CLUB - silver, VIRGIN - silver
I guess I'm a genuine 'newbie' because I'm looking forward to my debut Delta flight next month, LHR-DTW. When I booked the flight via Virgin last Autumn, it was going to be on the 767-400, but it altered to an A330-300 from January 5 - not sure why, but I'm just as happy. My question is to do with the Delta status match programme. I've applied to match to my BA silver status and received a courteous and prompt reply. However, they're unable to process my request. The response from Delta reads: "Please resubmit your request with a current statement that reflects your earned elite status. The statement must both reflect that your status is valid for 2022 and must include your first and last name.". I originally submitted my BA silver membership card along with an email from BA welcoming me and confirming my silver status. I'm not sure what Delta means by a 'statement' in this context. The only 'statement' as such that I can find in my BA account is the one showing my Avios transactions, but I can't believe that's what Delta requires. I'd be grateful for any thoughts about what specific thing Delta is requesting. Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Is it possible to use both a Companion Certificate and the AMEX Gold spend-generated $100 certificate on a single trip for 2 people?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrahamWL63
I guess I'm a genuine 'newbie' because I'm looking forward to my debut Delta flight next month, LHR-DTW. When I booked the flight via Virgin last Autumn, it was going to be on the 767-400, but it altered to an A330-300 from January 5 - not sure why, but I'm just as happy. My question is to do with the Delta status match programme. I've applied to match to my BA silver status and received a courteous and prompt reply. However, they're unable to process my request. The response from Delta reads: "Please resubmit your request with a current statement that reflects your earned elite status. The statement must both reflect that your status is valid for 2022 and must include your first and last name.". I originally submitted my BA silver membership card along with an email from BA welcoming me and confirming my silver status. I'm not sure what Delta means by a 'statement' in this context. The only 'statement' as such that I can find in my BA account is the one showing my Avios transactions, but I can't believe that's what Delta requires. I'd be grateful for any thoughts about what specific thing Delta is requesting. Thank you!
As T&C's on website indicate, a screenshot or other file format showing your qualifying activity is also acceptable as an alternative to a "statement".

GrahamWL63 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Hi,

I've tried searching the forum for this answer as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the right choice of search terms.

If my wife is Silver Medallion status and I have no medallion status, which person's status is recognized if we book a flight together on her account?

Also, if I get Silver Medallion and she gets Gold Medallion, I have the same question? If we book a flight together on her account, would we have Gold or Silver benefits (e.g. boarding priority)
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jth14
Hi,

I've tried searching the forum for this answer as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the right choice of search terms.

If my wife is Silver Medallion status and I have no medallion status, which person's status is recognized if we book a flight together on her account?

Also, if I get Silver Medallion and she gets Gold Medallion, I have the same question? If we book a flight together on her account, would we have Gold or Silver benefits (e.g. boarding priority)
You each need to enter your own Skymiles account for yourself when booked on the same reservation together. The higher status level will apply for upgrade and boarding priority, as well as access to preferred seating and luggage benefits. Things get more complicated if there is a third person on reservation as Medallions can only be upgraded with a single non-status companion (you generally want split the reservation in such cases).
Synapseturquoise and jth14 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by xliioper
Seems like a waste. If they are DL flights, you could use 300K with Pay with Miles for the $3K fare and still earn MQD for flights this year and have 300K miles left for another trip.
What seems like waste to you is based on your needs. Doing a second trip where one would accomplish what I need would be a waste to me.

Everyone's goals are different. Mine, in this case, is to maximize the MQD's with the least cost and least amount of time spent doing it. I'll also try to maximize MQM if I have a choice of destinations. Another requirement is to accomplish this trip in under 24 hours. I fly enough during the year to satisfy any cravings for time on an airplane or in an airport. RDM's are relatively unimportant to me.
MSPeconomist, elsenor and DCAhome like this.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Jan 29, 2022 at 8:19 pm
Old Jan 30, 2022, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What seems like waste to you is based on your needs. Doing a second trip where one would accomplish what I need would be a waste to me.

Everyone's goals are different. Mine, in this case, is to maximize the MQD's with the least cost and least amount of time spent doing it. I'll also try to maximize MQM if I have a choice of destinations. Another requirement is to accomplish this trip in under 24 hours. I fly enough during the year to satisfy any cravings for time on an airplane or in an airport. RDM's are relatively unimportant to me.
There are some other ways to potentially maximize MQDs (flying on partners). I suppose it comes down to how much you value DM status (for people who can't put $250K spend on an Amex card). I could see spending an extra $2K of dollars/miles than one would normally spend on DL for it, but personally wouldn't put much more value on it with GUC deval.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
There are some other ways to potentially maximize MQDs (flying on partners). I suppose it comes down to how much you value DM status (for people who can't put $250K spend on an Amex card). I could see spending an extra $2K of dollars/miles than one would normally spend on DL for it, but personally wouldn't put much more value on it with GUC deval.
Again, your views vs. mine. I'm a multi-year DM and have earned DM every one of those years, including 2020 and 2021. In addition, for personal travel, I have nonrev privileges which I use when they're beneficial to me and appropriate.

My determination of whether or not I maintain DM is based on a financial analysis that I do every year where I match the dollar value of the additional benefits I receive from being a DM against the additional costs related to achieving DM. I benefit to a large extent every year and therefore maintain DM.

I'm well aware of how to maximize MQD's by flying on partners. I've done that and will have no problem doing it again when appropriate and beneficial for me. GUC devaluation has no effect on my travel patterns. I can and will still use them cost effectively, as I do with RUC's and AMEX Companion Certificates. I read the FT posts by those who are unable to do so and believe that the reason I can use them easily is that I have almost unlimited flexibility in my air travel arrangements.

It's interesting that you commented about GUC devaluation but had nothing to say about even more detrimental RDM devaluation. I mentioned 600K miles for a single D1 ticket that I could have had 2 years ago for less than half that.

Also, it seems from tracking the widebody Cabin/Mod Tracking Threads that some aircraft, especially 763's are coming out of Mods with 3 Class cabins, not 4 Class and that GUC's will still be usable for D1 upgrades at booking on these aircraft. While many FT'ers will disparage them, I'll take them over PS. And GUC's are still usable on many partners and probably will be for a long time.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A
It's interesting that you commented about GUC devaluation but had nothing to say about even more detrimental RDM devaluation. I mentioned 600K miles for a single D1 ticket that I could have had 2 years ago for less than half that.
Yes, I'm aware of RDM devalue -- mostly on long haul premium cabin and not so much domestically (where 1.2 - 1.3 CPM is still pretty typical). I'd still say that Pay with Miles pretty much places a 1 CPM floor on value. As I stated, it depends on your value for DM status and I'm fully aware that others may value it more than I do and that is absolutely fine.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Different miles earned in each direction.

Not a newbie but I guess this is a newbie question.

Booked LAX-BOS round-trip, nonstops both ways.

On the "Manage My Trips" page for the itinerary, I noticed the LAX-BOS "Miles Flown" reads 2,611 while the BOS-LAX "Miles Flown" reads 2,604. We all know the westbound flight typically take longer due to headwinds, but what accounts for this "miles flown" to be seven miles shorter on the inbound?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.