Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by elsenor
Is Delta's upgrade pricing dynamic or are the prices set?

I don't have status and paid for my flights in main cabin. I see the price to upgrade my DTW-AMS flight to C+ is $129 and PS $250. Is it possible those will come down (or go up) as I get closer to my departure?
I'm no expert on the matter so happy to be corrected on this, but in my experience the price only tends to go up as the departure date nears/seats fill up.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Is Delta's upgrade pricing dynamic or are the prices set?

I don't have status and paid for my flights in main cabin. I see the price to upgrade my DTW-AMS flight to C+ is $129 and PS $250. Is it possible those will come down (or go up) as I get closer to my departure?
The upgrade prices offered via "My Trips" are dynamic and they can go up and down. That said my gut instinct tells me that even if these prices were to drop, it would not be significant relative to the current price while the price could go up significantly relative to the current price. I.e., if you're considering a buy-up to PS, $250 is a pretty good deal (IMO) and I'd jump on it now and not worry about trying to save a few more bucks.
elsenor likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The upgrade prices offered via "My Trips" are dynamic and they can go up and down. That said my gut instinct tells me that even if these prices were to drop, it would not be significant relative to the current price while the price could go up significantly relative to the current price. I.e., if you're considering a buy-up to PS, $250 is a pretty good deal (IMO) and I'd jump on it now and not worry about trying to save a few more bucks.
Thank you for that. My *only* hesitation is that at the moment, I don't have anyone sitting in my row and there's a good amount of additional space in the cabin. Maybe if the seats fill up, I'll go for it. But if it stays the like it is, I might opt for the poor man's layflat...
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. How soon is the trip?

2. Before accepting these seat upgrade offers in the app, always compare what it would cost to upfare your ticket.

3. Remember that these seat upgrade fees are nonrefundable unless your flight is cancelled or significantly rescheduled/dealyed.
elsenor likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for that. My *only* hesitation is that at the moment, I don't have anyone sitting in my row and there's a good amount of additional space in the cabin. Maybe if the seats fill up, I'll go for it. But if it stays the like it is, I might opt for the poor man's layflat...
You can hope for that and during COVID that strategy has worked to some extent. But know that seat maps are not indicative of loads, especially now with Basic Economy tickets where passengers won’t receive seat assignments until check-in/at the gate. The flight could be more full than the seat map indicates. The same applies for non-rev passengers who will receive seat assignments at the gate.

ETA: edited to make correction noted by SuperG
elsenor likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jan 18, 2022 at 7:57 pm
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
You can hope for that and during COVID that strategy has worked to some extent. But know that seat maps are not indicative of loads, especially now with Basic Economy tickets where passengers won’t receive seat assignments until check-in/at the gate. The flight could be more full than the seat map indicates. The same applies for non-passengers who will receive seat assignments at the gate.
Do you mean non-rev passengers?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Do you mean non-rev passengers?
Yes I did mean non-rev passengers. I have edited my post to correct that typo. Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes I did mean non-rev passengers. I have edited my post to correct that typo. Thanks.
I had assumed that this was some new "politically correct" terminology.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by VacationMode
I'm no expert on the matter so happy to be corrected on this, but in my experience the price only tends to go up as the departure date nears/seats fill up.
I'm no expert either, and I have no idea how common this is, but I have seen the price drop even in the days before departure. I'm guessing that's more the exception than the rule however.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Thanks for making sure that the newbies know that we exist.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Is there any way that I can see what my MQM / MQS / MQD accruals are for future flights that I've already booked? I cannot, for the life of me, find this information, and trying to figure out how far I am from my status match challenge.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lindsheyy
Is there any way that I can see what my MQM / MQS / MQD accruals are for future flights that I've already booked? I cannot, for the life of me, find this information, and trying to figure out how far I am from my status match challenge.
If these are for Delta-operated/marketed flights the info won’t be “listed” anywhere but you can determine it.

-MQMs: You can use a website like Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/) to determine the flight distance. Even on longhaul flights the mileage distances noted on GCMap will be within a few digits of what you can expect to earn for MQMs (before any class of service bonuses).
-MQSs: How many segments do you have? That’s how many segments you’ll get. AAA-HUB-BBB is two segments (except for the rare cases where you’re on a “direct” flight with a “stopover” but I don’t think DL has many of those types of flights remaining these days).
-MQDs: Pull up your confirmation email or the receipt on DL.com. Your MQDs will be equal to the base fare plus any carrier imposed surcharges (but not taxes and fees).

If you’re on any partner marketed flights, you’ll need to refer to DL’s partner earnings page to determine how each will be calculated.

And just to verify you’re not on a Basic Economy ticket?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
If these are for Delta-operated/marketed flights the info won’t be “listed” anywhere but you can determine it.

-MQMs: You can use a website like Great Circle Mapper (Great Circle Mapper) to determine the flight distance. Even on longhaul flights the mileage distances noted on GCMap will be within a few digits of what you can expect to earn for MQMs (before any class of service bonuses).
-MQSs: How many segments do you have? That’s how many segments you’ll get. AAA-HUB-BBB is two segments (except for the rare cases where you’re on a “direct” flight with a “stopover” but I don’t think DL has many of those types of flights remaining these days).
-MQDs: Pull up your confirmation email or the receipt on DL.com. Your MQDs will be equal to the base fare plus any carrier imposed surcharges (but not taxes and fees).

If you’re on any partner marketed flights, you’ll need to refer to DL’s partner earnings page to determine how each will be calculated.

And just to verify you’re not on a Basic Economy ticket?
Ah ok perfect thank you! No, not on a basic economy ticket, so will figure out the stats via the ways you outlined above. Thanks again!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lindsheyy
Ah ok perfect thank you! No, not on a basic economy ticket, so will figure out the stats via the ways you outlined above. Thanks again!
One thing I forgot to mention in my post on the MQMs was to factor in the 500 MQM minimum
if the segment is shorter than 500 miles. GCMap actually has that capability under the “Distance” tab where you can set a 500 mile minimum distance.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
-MQMs: You can use a website like Great Circle Mapper (Great Circle Mapper) to determine the flight distance. Even on longhaul flights the mileage distances noted on GCMap will be within a few digits of what you can expect to earn for MQMs (before any class of service bonuses).

I thought they were based on fares, not distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.