Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I’m sorry, I SHOULD know the answer but…
I’m currently a MM Silver (sigh) flying domestically on a Comfort+ (purchased) ticket. At some airports (MCO), I’ve been explicitly directed to the Sky Priority checkin line by the lobby agent who told me that, since I’m Silver, I’m SkyTeam Elite and thus allowed to use the Sky Priority Check in desks. Delta’s website is conflicting (surprise). They expressly state only Gold and above can use Sky Priority, but they also state that SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus on any SkyTeam member operates flight can check in at Sky Priority. So, which is it? (And hopefully, with the accelerator, I won’t ask this question after this year as I should hit 2MM &#128516
Thanks!
It depends on the airport. At large hubs, there is generally a dedicated Silver Medallion check-in line, separate from the main SkyPriority. At airports where this is no dedicated line for Silvers, the SkyPriority sign should have a note indicating that Silvers can use the SkyPriority line for check-in. I am not 100% sure what the set-up is at MCO since it's been a long time since I've flown DL out of MCO.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
It depends on the airport. At large hubs, there is generally a dedicated Silver Medallion check-in line, separate from the main SkyPriority. At airports where this is no dedicated line for Silvers, the SkyPriority sign should have a note indicating that Silvers can use the SkyPriority line for check-in. I am not 100% sure what the set-up is at MCO since it's been a long time since I've flown DL out of MCO.
thanks! Sorry for not being clearer. No problem at MCO. The signage is clear and the lobby agent explicitly directs silvers to Sky Priority.
The airport in question is, surprisingly enough, my home airport - PHL. I always have been: flying in a premium cabin, haven’t had a bag to check, or have been diamond, platinum, or gold. Hence, I never thought about it 😊 Anyway, I’m not going to worry about it and just use SP. I honestly doubt that they’ll tell me to “go to the back of the line you unworthy Silver Medallion scum! Next time BUY First Class!” 😀😀😃
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimrpa
thanks! Sorry for not being clearer. No problem at MCO. The signage is clear and the lobby agent explicitly directs silvers to Sky Priority.
The airport in question is, surprisingly enough, my home airport - PHL. I always have been: flying in a premium cabin, haven’t had a bag to check, or have been diamond, platinum, or gold. Hence, I never thought about it 😊 Anyway, I’m not going to worry about it and just use SP. I honestly doubt that they’ll tell me to “go to the back of the line you unworthy Silver Medallion scum! Next time BUY First Class!” 😀😀😃
At such airports, DL allow Silvers to use the SkyPriority lines so the FO can be assigned to a DM to carry the DM’s luggage.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Thank you so much for starting this thread! Now that I'm retired, I plan on traveling more extensively.

To get the most out of FlyerTalk, I'd like to learn the lingo, starting with the abbreviations that are used frequently. Is there a glossary?

Thanks, Trish
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LadyWrites
Thank you so much for starting this thread! Now that I'm retired, I plan on traveling more extensively.

To get the most out of FlyerTalk, I'd like to learn the lingo, starting with the abbreviations that are used frequently. Is there a glossary?

Thanks, Trish
There's a FlyerTalk Glossary here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

It's based on user submissions, so it may not be up to date, and also each forum/airline tends to evolve it's own specific lingo etc, but that's also what this thread is for
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
There's a FlyerTalk Glossary here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

It's based on user submissions, so it may not be up to date, and also each forum/airline tends to evolve it's own specific lingo etc, but that's also what this thread is for
And the lingo can even change over the years. That glossary has “BE” listed as meaning “Business Elite” but “Business Elite” has long since been replaced by “Delta One” so now on DL (and on other airlines that have it), “BE” is now used to mean “Basic Economy” (which is about as opposite as you can get from Business Elite ).
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
And the lingo can even change over the years. That glossary has “BE” listed as meaning “Business Elite” but “Business Elite” has long since been replaced by “Delta One” so now on DL (and on other airlines that have it), “BE” is now used to mean “Basic Economy” (which is about as opposite as you can get from Business Elite ).
Indeed...

It's based on user submissions, so it may not be up to date
... feel free to submit an update

although TBH I'm not sure how relevant it still is because I suspect a lot of FTers don't know it's there.

Maybe a sticky thread in each forum would be better, esp. since wikis are easier for the community to maintain.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: DL, UA
Medallion status for upgrade priority at booking

Does booking passenger profile dictate upgrade priority based on their medallion status or will their companion who has higher medallion status, if booked on the same record, give them the benefit of that higher level?

Scenario is if a PM booked with a GM on the same ticket then both share the PM status. But what if the GM booked the ticket (eg on their app or logged in, as pax 1) and then added PM pax as pax 2. Would the booking be handled as a GM level or PM?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indeed...

... feel free to submit an update

although TBH I'm not sure how relevant it still is because I suspect a lot of FTers don't know it's there.

Maybe a sticky thread in each forum would be better, esp. since wikis are easier for the community to maintain.
Yea - I've learned one has to look at the context to determine what someone might be meaning. "CSR" now has a double meaning. The FT Glossary shows it as "Customer Service Representative" but now it is also commonly used in discussions relating to the Chase Sapphire Reserve, for example. One that drives some FTers nuts is the use of airport codes to refer to cities as a whole (it doesn't bother me and I do it frequently) but again, one can usually garner what the poster means by looking at the context.
LadyWrites likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA
messaging Delta yields the answer that says the record/reservation will take the status level of the primary passenger (in my example, then it would be seen as a GM level priority).

calling Delta yields the answer that says 'no matter the order of people on the booking, if there's 2 and only 2, it will be seen at the priority level for upgrades on the highest status of either passenger'.

So - there it is. I've done a booking as exampled above - GM logged in, GM was 'passenger 1', GM added passenger 2 who is PM and in a few weeks we'll see if there's decent upgrade priority or not.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Smile

Thanks for the tips about the Glossary... and there's millions abbreviations!
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Handy thread!

I've tried searching but cannot find a list of fare classes and restrictions. My wife got the $200 statement credit offer for application of a DL Gold Amex a couple of months back when buying a DL flight. The application crapped out on the Delta website and we ended up putting it on another account. I'm looking at buying the cheapest fully refundable fare I can in order to trigger the credit but can't tell if what I'm getting allows that.

I looked up refundable options for JFK-BOS and it's listed as an H fare for $279. Is that going get a full refund of the total ticket price? I know typically Y, B, H are the most flexible economy ticket options but didn't know if I should be searching out Y specifically. Is cancelling tickets on DL for refundable fares easily done online?

Whilst I'm at it, anyone know any cheapie routes I should look for on the refundable side? Not a big deal but if I can float less cash for a few months that'd obviously be preferable.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 7, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by cakiwi
messaging Delta yields the answer that says the record/reservation will take the status level of the primary passenger (in my example, then it would be seen as a GM level priority).

calling Delta yields the answer that says 'no matter the order of people on the booking, if there's 2 and only 2, it will be seen at the priority level for upgrades on the highest status of either passenger'.

So - there it is. I've done a booking as exampled above - GM logged in, GM was 'passenger 1', GM added passenger 2 who is PM and in a few weeks we'll see if there's decent upgrade priority or not.
Unless Delta changed the rule, this is the rule regarding upgrade priority on 2 passenger itineraries:

* If one passenger is a Medallion member and the other is a non-status SkyMiles member, both passengers will be added to the upgrade list according to the status of the Medallion member.
* If both passengers are Medallion members, both will be added to the upgrade list according to the member with the lower status. For example, if a Gold and a Platinum Medallion travel together, then you'd both be treated as Gold Medallion as far as the upgrade list is concerned.

I think it's pretty silly to penalize cases where two Medallions travel together- but that's the rule. 🙃
Old Nov 7, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by SchindHaughton
Unless Delta changed the rule, this is the rule regarding upgrade priority on 2 passenger itineraries:

* If one passenger is a Medallion member and the other is a non-status SkyMiles member, both passengers will be added to the upgrade list according to the status of the Medallion member.
* If both passengers are Medallion members, both will be added to the upgrade list according to the member with the lower status. For example, if a Gold and a Platinum Medallion travel together, then you'd both be treated as Gold Medallion as far as the upgrade list is concerned.

I think it's pretty silly to penalize cases where two Medallions travel together- but that's the rule. 🙃
I'm not sure where you're getting that from. AFAIK he rule hasn't changed and can be found at https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Traveling with one companion:
  • If you and one companion are in the same reservation, upgrades to domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work the same way: your upgrades, if available, will clear based on the Status of the higher-tiered Member. This applies to companions who are Medallion Members themselves as well as General Members who do not have Medallion Status and partner airline elite members. For example, if a Diamond Medallion Member and General Member are traveling together, both upgrades will clear at the Diamond window, if available.
  • If you and your companion are in different paid ticket reservations that have been linked, upgrades to U.S. 50 domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently:
    • For domestic Delta One and First Class, your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear at the clearing time of the Medallion Member’s Tier. For example, if a Platinum Medallion Member and a General Member are traveling together, both will clear at the Platinum window.
    • For Delta Comfort+, General SkyMiles Members are not eligible for Complimentary Upgrades. The Medallion Member will clear for their upgrade at their respective window.
    • Linked reservations are reservations that have been booked separately but have been linked to one another by Delta Reservations. If you would like to request a companion upgrade for a SkyMiles Member that is not already in your reservation, you can call to link your reservations at 1-800-323-2323 in the U.S. or view worldwide phone numbers – be sure to have both confirmation numbers handy. You can also request to link your reservations at the airport.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I'm not sure where you're getting that from. AFAIK he rule hasn't changed and can be found at https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Looks like my understanding of the policy may have been a little garbled- I was recalling the policy that applies to linked (but separate) reservations.

https://liveandletsfly.com/delta-companion-upgrades/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.