Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I decided to call DL customer care to complain, which I can't really believe that I spent my time doing, but I so annoyed about the lack of meal, pillow, blankets, real glassware, etc when paying for first class.

The agent did give me a whole song and dance about Covid, but when I asked why all of these amenities were available on international flights, and domestically on other airlines, she agreed to give me 10,000 skymiles. I don't really care about the miles, but hope that if enough people do this it was get through.
OK but to be fair, the only U.S. airline that is using glassware right now is jetBlue in its signature Mint Class. DL does provide blankets and pillows on domestic D1 flights; not standard domestic F and that's consistent with AA and UA.

What I find truly alarming is how DL continues to lie at multiple levels... they previously published a meal restart date for non-transcon routes which was nothing but a lie and now, DL isn't even serving meals on flights over 1500 miles that are being advertised with meals.

However, I definitely applaud you for calling out DL on their hypocrisy since they never stopped serving meals on short international D1 flights--some shorter than JFK/SFO in domestic D1.
cmd320 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:03 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by fly747first
What I find truly alarming is how DL continues to lie at multiple levels... they previously published a meal restart date for non-transcon routes which was nothing but a lie and now, DL isn't even serving meals on flights over 1500 miles that are being advertised with meals.
This is OT for this thread, but that seems to be their whole MO now-- like on the investor call this week, instead of admitting they are having challenges with res line staffing and pledging it will get better with new hires in the pipeline, Ed gave that BS line about the average wait being only 1 hour and that people could just personally e-mail him for help.
cmd320 and Skicruiser58 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by dw
It really is pretty ridiculous they are still using Covid as an official excuse for the service cutbacks. Kind of like how hotels are still using Covid for lack of breakfast, when in reality it's due to budget and/or staffing shortages.
I received that kind of email the other day after reserving a hotel room. The reservation is for April 2022.
dw and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
OK but to be fair, the only U.S. airline that is using glassware right now is jetBlue in its signature Mint Class. DL does provide blankets and pillows on domestic D1 flights; not standard domestic F and that's consistent with AA and UA..
And yet there is now glassware in the sky clubs and real plates in clubs that used to have them (SFO). So Covid spreads on glasses in the air but not on the ground? To be 100% clear, I have been VERY supportive of strong public health measures during the pandemic, but when companies try to hide cost-cutting behind public health policies they actually weaken the effort of legitimate public health policies. People start to see it all as silly, when it's not.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Ed gave that BS line about the average wait being only 1 hour and that people could just personally e-mail him for help.
A despicable liar like Ed suits DL quite well... lol
He should be ashamed that the wait is allegedly only 1 hour... Holiday Inn can perform better than that!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What's the current state of service on the DL Shuttle flights? I know in the back days these were exemption routes to somewhat of an extent, but I have DCA-LGA in a couple weeks and while I figure "nothing" is the answer, I'm curious if it'll be a bloody mary morning. Probably will just have breakfast in the SkyClub anyway.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And yet there is now glassware in the sky clubs and real plates in clubs that used to have them (SFO). So Covid spreads on glasses in the air but not on the ground? To be 100% clear, I have been VERY supportive of strong public health measures during the pandemic, but when companies try to hide cost-cutting behind public health policies they actually weaken the effort of legitimate public health policies. People start to see it all as silly, when it's not.
I agree with you completely. My previous comment was more granular to help you catch DL in their perennial cycles of lies. If you tell them you are upset about blankets and pillows not being provided, for instance, they can easily give you the run around knowing that their competitors aren't doing so outside of premium markets. However, if you use more clear examples of their hypocrisy, e.g., using glassware in Sky Clubs but not in the air as you pointed out, it's easier to shine the light of truth upon extreme DL equivocators. :0)
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I agree with you completely. My previous comment was more granular to help you catch DL in their perennial cycles of lies. If you tell them you are upset about blankets and pillows not being provided, for instance, they can easily give you the run around knowing that their competitors aren't doing so outside of premium markets. However, if you use more clear examples of their hypocrisy, e.g., using glassware in Sky Clubs but not in the air as you pointed out, it's easier to shine the light of truth upon extreme DL equivocators. :0)
So long as DL is honest regarding the product it is selling me (i.e., this flight will have no meal, this flight will have a limited meal service, this flight will have snacks and a full meal), I really don't give a flying eff regarding marketing high purr bow lee that this, and pretty much every other endeavor designed for profit is spewing. For years, one airline or another would blame something on "in order to remain competitive," to which my reply was "if you want to remain competitive, keep your product a step up from the dreck the competition has introduced."

Now, if DL sold me a flight with "snacks, drinks, breakfast, snacks" (as my upcoming D1 flights) and I arrive to my aircraft, to find myself in a domestic F seat and handed a box of shelf-stable goodness as my meal, I'd have a gripe.

As for the rest, it is nothing more than corporate posterior gas coming out the oral orifice, which I always absorb with more than a grain of salt. My sugar now comes in 4lb bags instead of 5, and the 8oz yogurts are barely 5 now. Those companies have equally enthralling reasons for why those are good things.
BenA likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
So long as DL is honest regarding the product it is selling me (i.e., this flight will have no meal, this flight will have a limited meal service, this flight will have snacks and a full meal), I really don't give a flying eff regarding marketing high purr bow lee that this, and pretty much every other endeavor designed for profit is spewing. For years, one airline or another would blame something on "in order to remain competitive," to which my reply was "if you want to remain competitive, keep your product a step up from the dreck the competition has introduced."

Now, if DL sold me a flight with "snacks, drinks, breakfast, snacks" (as my upcoming D1 flights) and I arrive to my aircraft, to find myself in a domestic F seat and handed a box of shelf-stable goodness as my meal, I'd have a gripe.

As for the rest, it is nothing more than corporate posterior gas coming out the oral orifice, which I always absorb with more than a grain of salt. My sugar now comes in 4lb bags instead of 5, and the 8oz yogurts are barely 5 now. Those companies have equally enthralling reasons for why those are good things.
Your extensive comments add little to no value when you take into account reality. See image attached of how DL is outright lying about flights with meal services that in reality only have boxed snacks.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Your extensive comments add little to no value when you take into account reality. See image attached of how DL is outright lying about flights with meal services that in reality only have boxed snacks.
Thank you for the opportunity to learn of my little to no value posts. Have a bright, bright sunshiny day!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
If the meals are still cheapo swill, what's the story with the drink service?
After being served a drink per hour I can forget about a meal

On these 1500 mile flights currently listing meals have they moved up to PDB? and drinks in real glasses with ice and twists during the flight?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
On these 1500 mile flights currently listing meals have they moved up to PDB? and drinks in real glasses with ice and twists during the flight?
HAHAHA! Good one, still much too dangerous to offer any of that…
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
HAHAHA! Good one, still much too dangerous to offer any of that…
DL isn't even providing glassware in international D1, yet B6 has no problems doing so on much shorter domestic Mint flights
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:25 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The funny thing is, AA’s website is also totally inaccurate now with most F routes… but in the opposite way. Flights where they are definitely serving a sandwich or fruit and cheese plate in F have been coded as merely “refreshments” for months now. I guess that’s a good way of managing expectations ;-)
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:28 pm
formerly willbbiddy

Any info on pdb on international D1? Specifically ATL to South America, but any info is better than none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.