Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Service SLC to JFK

Flew that route today in F. The meal was insulting to say the least. A tiny little box with bits of cheese and a few slices of meat nestled against shriveled grapes. Then there was the joy of flimsy wooden cutlery and drinks in a plastic cup. Most annoying were all the self congratulatory messages about how caring Delta was....so caring that one of the first class lavs had puddles of liquid on the floor. Yup, I am sure done to be sure people were safe. A real hum dinger of a "touch point". Honestly I have had much better food on 1 hour short flights from European carriers. The only plus was that the Sky Club had a decent breakfast buffet. The best word to describe the experience, apart from the Sky club, is "tragic" or another expression "low rent" and please stop congratulating yourself Delta when your product is so inferior.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
DL14 ATL-FRA on Sep 3rd & DL15 FRA-ATL on Sep 6th (both A333)

outbound pre-select choices:

real glassware, but only one type, so champagne in a tumbler:

I don't typically eat a lot of fish that isn't in sushi form but wanted to try something different. This seemed decent to me, moist in the middle, a bit dry around the edges, which isn't surprising for airplane reheating I guess. Not bad but not spectacular. Soup was a corn chowder (they were asking everyone if they wanted it or not). Same salad/dressing and bread that's on the D1 TCONs (the butter is insanely good IMO). Ice cream slightly melty but still fairly edible by the time I got to it. It did not occur to me to ask whether Y got the same ice cream nor would it have somehow changed how it tasted knowing other people were enjoying it too.

The much-discussed egg things as a pre-arrival breakfast (don't remember what the other choice was): they were described to me as egg souffle or something. Agree that they don't have a ton of flavor on their own, but I enjoyed them after adding pepper and along with the other components. I was going from memory earlier when I identified the orange bits as carrots for me the sausage wasn't overly spicy.

Pre-select for the return flight:

Similar to the outbound meal, this was decent but otherwise not particularly noteworthy. Skin-on was a bit of a surprise; I don't mind it personally, but outside of fried chicken I feel like this is slightly unusual?

I think the soup has been mentioned before upthread -- reminiscent of the wicked Thai soup in the Sky Clubs but just the soup without any of the rice/chicken in it. The dessert was labeled something like mango creme brulee and was also decent although I wasn't that hungry and only tried a couple spoonfuls of it.

Pre-arrival choice of cheeseburger or (going from memory again) I think a chicken salad. Slightly odd IMO to have only ketchup (and mayo in the small dish) but no mustard, but the burger was quite good, juicy etc.

Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I’ve really enjoyed the sea bass on my flights. Nice to see glassware back
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
So the Wiki seems to be missing the announced dates for return of hot meals in domestic F. Wasn’t it Sept 15? And meals returning to flights over 900 miles? I have a flight in late Sept that lists lunch and just curious if DL will actually hit its target.
Hot meals aren't coming to domestic F anytime soon. For lunch you'll get a choice from one of the as people have called them "sad" boxes. Ie a sandwich or chix salad. Better thank the junk boxes, but definitely not a "meal."

Only hot meals coming soon I believe will be for domestic D1 and transcon routes that don't currently have them.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:10 am

Transcon (LAX-JFK) Comfort+ - as of 9/7/21 - receives only a mini pretzel and biscoff pack, and then goldfish cracker and another biscoff pack later in the flight. An LAX cookie was offered following the goldfish and biscoff presentation
Still no "real food" in C+, as had been provided prior to the service cutbacks. Boxed "snack" is available for purchase ($8) as well.

But the profits! Oh, the profits and the bonuses!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Transcon (LAX-JFK) Comfort+ - as of 9/7/21 - receives only a mini pretzel and biscoff pack, and then goldfish cracker and another biscoff pack later in the flight. An LAX cookie was offered following the goldfish and biscoff presentation
Still no "real food" in C+, as had been provided prior to the service cutbacks. Boxed "snack" is available for purchase ($8) as well.

But the profits! Oh, the profits and the bonuses!
The meal program was introduced in 2017 for long haul domestic routes and included both coach and C+ cabins -- https://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-...als-12-markets
This will probably be the last thing to return, if ever. About the best you can expect to see in domestic C+ at this point will likely be the enhanced snack basket.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hot meals aren't coming to domestic F anytime soon. For lunch you'll get a choice from one of the as people have called them "sad" boxes. Ie a sandwich or chix salad. Better thank the junk boxes, but definitely not a "meal."

Only hot meals coming soon I believe will be for domestic D1 and transcon routes that don't currently have them.
But am I nuts or didn't DL announce meals back on flights over 900 miles starting Sept 15? This was in the Wiki for a while. I know we all had doubts on DL delivering on that deadline.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
But am I nuts or didn't DL announce meals back on flights over 900 miles starting Sept 15? This was in the Wiki for a while. I know we all had doubts on DL delivering on that deadline.
The roll-out of meals on 900-1500 mile flights started on August 24th initially on hub-to-hub routes. They've been phased in over last couple weeks across the network to include routes that are not hub-to-hub. I'm not sure if they have been fully phased in yet or not. There are still some 900-1500 mile flights that are not showing meals on bookings until 9/14 (ATL-PVD and DCA-MSP, for example). The "announcement" on DL website (updated 7/12) mentions 900+ mile flights getting meals "later this summer", but did not give specific dates.

Earlier post on topic --
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33454948-post334.html

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 8, 2021 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:59 pm

I am posting again about serive on TATL flights - we depart ATL at 5:45 D1 - will there be a drink service, then the meal and refills if requested or do they pretty much just serve it all at once for "safety reasons" - thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by suec1
I am posting again about serive on TATL flights - we depart ATL at 5:45 D1 - will there be a drink service, then the meal and refills if requested or do they pretty much just serve it all at once for "safety reasons" - thanks!
Flew ATL-CDG 2 weeks ago. No pre departure drink. they did over up beverages before dinner service then serviced the meal all at once. However, my flight crew was very generous with drink refills.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by xliioper
The roll-out of meals on 900-1500 mile flights started on August 24th initially on hub-to-hub routes. They've been phased in over last couple weeks across the network to include routes that are not hub-to-hub. I'm not sure if they have been fully phased in yet or not. There are still some 900-1500 mile flights that are not showing meals on bookings until 9/14 (ATL-PVD and DCA-MSP, for example). The "announcement" on DL website (updated 7/12) mentions 900+ mile flights getting meals "later this summer", but did not give specific dates.

Earlier post on topic --
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33454948-post334.html
Yeah, that 9/15 date was what I thought and was referring to. Meals, not necessarily hot meals. That was my error.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
9/8/21
BOG-JFK

This is what we had for dinner last night on the redeye from BOG to JFK in economy Main Cabin. The options were chicken or veggie, and that thing was a cold chicken pastry pocket. That's the only way I can describe it. Chopped up seemingly real chicken, just cold. Would have happily traded not eating for an extra 30 minutes of "lights off time." My only regret was not asking for a duble of Woodford.

I'm curious what the pre-covid version of this meal was like.

Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Did airlines get a big discount on those non branded tall/narrow plastic cups?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Flew LAX-JFK RT in D1 last week, outbound on 8/31, return on 9/4. Both crews were very good, and were apologetic to pax about catering, etc.

LAX-JFK was a 767-400. I like these new seats. Blankets were in all seats, pillows were only in first two rows. FAs tried to find more pillows, but eventually made an announcement that LAX ground crew told them that there weren't any at LAX (this was a 1pm flight), and apologized for lack of pillows. No drinks served before dinner, everything served on one tray, including plastic cups. Food was just ok, I had some sort of beef, wife had chicken.

JFK-LAX return was a 767-300. Plane felt like a piece of junk. Same malfunctioning video monitors (where you had to use the remote to navigate). Sinks in all bathrooms were unoperational (though toilets were fine). Maintenance had placed heavy tape over each sink, and filled the sinks with individual Purell wipe packages.. Quite a few pax not happy between this and the malfunctioning monitors. Pilot made announcement apologizing for the "old" plane. Meal service was much improved. There was a pre-meal drink service (no cart), and drinks were served in glass. Food was also much better. Wife and I each had short ribs, and the whole meal was tasty.

One thing I would point out is that on the return flight, the IFE had been changed. The Audio channel is now entirely Spotify. Most channels were not music, and those that were were mostly current music (eg from last two years). Folks who liked to have a broader choice in music are going to be very disappointed.

Have a D1 flight SFO-JFK on 9/12. Meal choices are smoked beef brisket, seared chicken breast and "cauliflower cakes" (quotes mine). I'd paste the detailed choices here if I had the technical wherewithal to do it

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Sep 9, 2021 at 2:58 pm
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:40 pm

Upcoming transcon D1 flight LAX-BOS. Breakfast options to preselect are:

CHEDDAR SCRAMBLED EGGS
with breakfast pork sausage patty and hashbrown casserole

CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST
with maple syrup

ALMOND GRANOLA
with Greek yogurt
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.