Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
None offered on my last flight. Water bottles passed out shortly after takeoff, followed by a lengthy wait as only one FA took orders for both drinks and meals. Main cabin received their drinks and snacks much faster as there are few choices to make. By the time orders were finished, there were a total of 3 FAs working D1 to pass out tablecloths and drinks followed by the meals as they were warmed. YMMV as I flew on a 764 so if you are on a 763, it may be quicker due to a smaller D1 cabin.
No PDB even international D1.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
ATL-MSP 11/8 listing Dinner in First Class with the option to select special meals. Hopeful this is marking the return of hot plated meals on hub-hub routes over 900 miles.
Make sure the special meal request goes through first. Someone else posted upthread that they tried to select a special meal on a regular domestic flight and when they tried to select/save the selection, it gave back an error message saying it couldn’t be selected.

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I'd have routed JFK-LAX-LAS if I was him, but then again this could have been filmed before meals re-started.
It should have been after meals were brought back as the OP checked in and was flying out of T2 which just re-opened in mid-June around the same time meals were reintroduced to most transcon D1 routes.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by B747forever
Have the same choices for my ATL-GRU flight next week. Anyone know if the lasagna is good?
Had the lasagna in early July and it was very tasty.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Lft Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
I’m on the same route on the 13th and nothing is showing up for me either…
Have you received an email or notification to select your meal for your August 13th flight? Still nothing here for the August 12th departure.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lc412000
Have you received an email or notification to select your meal for your August 13th flight? Still nothing here for the August 12th departure.
Nothing from Delta about the meal selection yet…. 😕
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Lft Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Nothing from Delta about the meal selection yet…. 😕
I called this morning and spoke to a Delta rep who informed me the reason I did not receive an email or notification could because of one of the following reasons:

1. No meals would be served on the flight
2. Possibility the flight is slated for cancellation
3. Meals that would be decided upon by Delta had yet to be selected

The Delta rep called me back a few hours later and said after speaking to a supervisor they realize that the Delta email has not gone out out to flyers as planned and I could make a selection and email it back to her.

The choices for the ATL-ATH flight are;

1. Braised Beef Short Rib with bordelaise sauce, thyme mashed potatoes, haricot verts with pickled red onions and mustard seeds.
2. Sous Vide Chicken Thigh Roulade with citrus herb butter, sweet potato puree, and lacinato kale with caramelized onions.
3. Fresh Mozzarella Lasagna with Calabrian chili peppers and tomato sauce
4. Roasted Chilean Sea Bass with warm cherry tomato and okra salad with herb butter 5. Lamb and Mushroom Stuffed Piquillo Peppers with chickpea puree, cauliflower and black olive gremolata and pomegranate molasses.

I am thinking if you wish to pre-order a meal, you will need to call customer service and handle it that way for your flight Friday
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:39 am

I called this morning and spoke to a Delta rep who informed me the reason I did not receive an email or notification could because of one of the following reasons:

The Delta rep called me back a few hours later and said after speaking to a supervisor they realize that the Delta email has not gone out out to flyers as planned and I could make a selection and email it back to her.

1. Braised Beef Short Rib with bordelaise sauce, thyme mashed potatoes, haricot verts with pickled red onions and mustard seeds.
2. Sous Vide Chicken Thigh Roulade with citrus herb butter, sweet potato puree, and lacinato kale with caramelized onions.
4. Roasted Chilean Sea Bass with warm cherry tomato and okra salad with herb butter
5. Lamb and Mushroom Stuffed Piquillo Peppers with chickpea puree, cauliflower and black olive gremolata and pomegranate molasses.

I am thinking if you wish to pre-order a meal, you will need to call customer service and handle it that way for your flight Friday
This is great information - thank you! I'm impressed you got a call back. I've never had that happen...
lc412000 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond

4. Roasted Chilean Sea Bass with warm cherry tomato and okra salad with herb butter 5. Lamb and Mushroom Stuffed Piquillo Peppers with chickpea puree, cauliflower and black olive gremolata and pomegranate molasses.

Same menu I got for ATL-CDG and AMS-JFK over the next week
lc412000 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Looks about the same as my AMS flights in March. Ill be flying SYD-LAX next month ill report back on TPAC D1 options (and for those curious, there are 4 people on the plane as of today).
JojaFlyer and lc412000 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Looks about the same as my AMS flights in March. Ill be flying SYD-LAX next month ill report back on TPAC D1 options (and for those curious, there are 4 people on the plane as of today).
Not hard to believe when you must get permission to leave country. (For Australians) AA I believe totally suspended flight operations to Australia.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not hard to believe when you must get permission to leave country. (For Australians) AA I believe totally suspended flight operations to Australia.
AA is still running cargo-only but pax ops are suspended. UA and DL continue operating. Further info for those curious, despite there being no humans on the planes, Delta still only released Global Upgrade space on 2 flights the entire month ahead of time.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLATL777
AA is still running cargo-only but pax ops are suspended. UA and DL continue operating. Further info for those curious, despite there being no humans on the planes, Delta still only released Global Upgrade space on 2 flights the entire month ahead of time.
Upgrade space gets released, it's just really popular and gets snapped up quickly. I currently hold two confirmed GUC seats on an October SYD-LAX flight, for example. (Not that I'll be able to fly that ticket, most likely, unless an absolute miracle occurs - but hey.)
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:54 am

I spent an hour on hold with two different agents and three different supervisors. They said there was absolutely no way to get me a preselected meal… Is there anything else you heard or did that allowed them to select a meal for you?

Last edited by DeltaFan4Now; Aug 11, 2021 at 12:22 pm
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...-meal-service/

Once again DL is the last airline in regards to bringing back in-flight service. AA just announced they were bringing back hot meals to FC in the coming months and effective immediately, will begin tray meal service again from the contents from the current boxed meals. I don’t ever want to hear Ed Bastian call his airline “premium” again when they are being so cheap they are getting beat out by AA and ”discount Dougie” in return to in-flight FC service.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...-meal-service/

Once again DL is the last airline in regards to bringing back in-flight service. AA just announced they were bringing back hot meals to FC in the coming months and effective immediately, will begin tray meal service again from the contents from the current boxed meals. I don’t ever want to hear Ed Bastian call his airline “premium” again when they are being so cheap they are getting beat out by AA and ”discount Dougie” in return to in-flight FC service.
Definitely a weird world where Deep Discount Doug is returning better inflight service than DL. I won't hold my breath on AA being particularly proactive about this but nonetheless a good direction to be headed in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.