Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by allseas1586
The real problem is there aren't too many CR7's left. Endeavor has something like 18 and I think SkyWest will be down to 3 primarily for Aspen ops.

Since the CRJ-production line is shut down now who knows what the future will hold or what the ability would be to pick up some used regional aircraft with green time.
What happened to the CR7's? I don't recall a press release or big news on Flyertalk...was it just a change in contracts?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:09 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I wonder what the incremental cost to operate a CRJ7 vs. CRJ2 to these routes is and how easy it would be to substitute for these routes?
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Its at least an additional FA position
Originally Posted by cmd320
What about the -550s like UA is getting?
I think the -550 makes sense if you assume all capital costs are sunk, which in this market is a pretty reasonable assumption. The -550's are also important because not only do they have just one FA, but they also fall into a different bucket of aircraft for scope clause purposes.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
ERJs are still available to the market. They were always far superior to CRJs IMO. I have no problem flying on an ERJ for a short flight, won’t set foot on a CRJ anymore.
I definitely don't mind an ERJ if I can get a solo seat in the 1-2 set-up. Being on the 2 side of the ERJ-135/145 is about the same as being on a CRJ-200 though.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by spudley007
What happened to the CR7's? I don't recall a press release or big news on Flyertalk...was it just a change in contracts?
Most of the ExpressJet operated CR7's went to SkyWest for the AA operation if I remember correctly. The GoJet CR7's I believe are what are with Endeavor today.

On the SkyWest side for DL, I'm not exactly sure what happened with the CR7's, other than they seemed to have gone away to take on CR9's and E75's, both in 70 and 76 seat configurations.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Beckles
I think the -550 makes sense if you assume all capital costs are sunk, which in this market is a pretty reasonable assumption. The -550's are also important because not only do they have just one FA, but they also fall into a different bucket of aircraft for scope clause purposes.
The -550 is the very best RJ in the air in the US right now...at least how UA ha configured it. No get checked bags. 10 seats in F and only 40 in Y makes for great UG potential. They also have a self-serve snack cabinet (pre-COVID) that was awesome. I preferentially seek out these flights when booking on flight on UX.

I'm actually shocked that DL hasn't copied UA on this one.
hi55us likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Are ERJs still being produced? I'm curious what will happen in terms of smaller regional jets going forward. There is still a market for these jets and I prefer them to turboprops. I've had way too many miserable ASA EMB120 rides for a lifetime.
ERJs are still available to the market. They were always far superior to CRJs IMO. I have no problem flying on an ERJ for a short flight, won’t set foot on a CRJ anymore.
It would be nice to have Delta bring back the ERJs. They had some flying with Shuttle America up through 2016 and then they quietly disposed of them. There are a lot of routes that I can't see Delta putting a CR9 on which means post 2025 those small cities are going to be SOL.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Most of the ExpressJet operated CR7's went to SkyWest for the AA operation if I remember correctly. The GoJet CR7's I believe are what are with Endeavor today.

On the SkyWest side for DL, I'm not exactly sure what happened with the CR7's, other than they seemed to have gone away to take on CR9's and E75's, both in 70 and 76 seat configurations.
I suspect DL just prefers the economics of the CR9/E75. DL, in general, prefers the economics of bigger planes rather than smaller ones, in just about every plane category
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I suspect DL just prefers the economics of the CR9/E75. DL, in general, prefers the economics of bigger planes rather than smaller ones, in just about every plane category
I’d say this is true of the narrowbody fleet but not so much when it comes to the widebody fleet.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
It would be nice to have Delta bring back the ERJs. They had some flying with Shuttle America up through 2016 and then they quietly disposed of them. There are a lot of routes that I can't see Delta putting a CR9 on which means post 2025 those small cities are going to be SOL.
Don't hold your breath on the ERJ coming back haha! My guess is that DL is ok with conceding those small market cities. DL has always been one to pick and chose routes which make the most financial sense, rather than trying to be everything for everybody
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:48 pm

I’d say this is true of the narrowbody fleet but not so much when it comes to the widebody fleet.
767 routes are being upgauged to A330s. Those former A330 routes are being upgauged to A350s. Obviously no A380s in the fleet, but it's very hard to like the economics of the A380, and it's not suited to DL's network
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjnangre
767 routes are being upgauged to A330s. Those former A330 routes are being upgauged to A350s. Obviously no A380s in the fleet, but it's very hard to like the economics of the A380, and it's not suited to DL's network
Right, but when compared to AA and UA, DL on the whole leans towards smaller widebody aircraft. Both AA and UA have sizable 777 fleets including 77Ws. With Delta parting with 747s and 777s, on the whole I’d say Delta prefers smaller widebody aircraft compared with their direct competitors.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Amazon.com acquired three Delta 767-300s on December 23rd. Presumably for cargo conversion but with Amazon you never know!

https://cargofacts.com/allposts/busi...ith-more-767s/
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Amazon.com acquired three Delta 767-300s on December 23rd. Presumably for cargo conversion but with Amazon you never know!
Are you insinuating that Bezos might be testing the waters on his own passenger services starting with premium transcons? Amazon Prime Prestige
catmndu and DLASflyer like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Are you insinuating that Bezos might be testing the waters on his own passenger services starting with premium transcons? Amazon Prime Prestige
I mean, it’s hard to imagine an airline in the US being run worse than AA/DL/UA, so sure, I’d welcome the competition.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
All three of the B767-300ER's were Delta's youngest (built 2000-2001), and were the "T" versions (the longest ranged of what DL had). Delta had a total of seven (all of which were Withdrawn From Use (WFU). So, it may not be surprising that Amazon might be looking at the other four also. All seven had the same GE engines and built at the same time (2000-2001). Tail numbers: N1607B, N1608, N1609, and N1613B are the four still with Delta. Tail Numbers: N1610D, N1611B, and N1613B are now with Amazon. The probable conversions to freighters is likely. I currently have not looked at Amazon's fleet of B767-300ER freighters to see if these are just replacements or additions to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.