Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I think the 788 fits it pretty well. United has 219 seats on their 788. Delta's 763's range from 211-226 seats. Delta's 339 has 281 seats. Quite a big difference in capacity.
In terms of seat count, sure. However, doesn't the 787 have a lot more range than what DL is looking for?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
In terms of seat count, sure. However, doesn't the 787 have a lot more range than what DL is looking for?
well, that's better than not having enough range

if I remember correctly, advertised range is based on max fuel, not max payload ... so the 788 could present opportunity for additional cargo revenue on the shorter TATL/TPAC/SA runs that currently see the 763
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I think the 788 fits it pretty well. United has 219 seats on their 788. Delta's 763's range from 211-226 seats. Delta's 339 has 281 seats. Quite a big difference in capacity.
United has 243 seats on the 787-8s with the new Polaris seats and Premium Economy installed: (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...87-800.html#v2)

Another key assumption in your post is the assumption that DL would opt to put 9 abreast in the 787 like UA (and AA) do. Meanwhile DL's 332s have 234 seats, which is much closer in-line with what UA's 787-8 capacity is that UA is retrofitting its 787s to.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
United has 243 seats on the 787-8s with the new Polaris seats and Premium Economy installed: (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...87-800.html#v2)

Another key assumption in your post is the assumption that DL would opt to put 9 abreast in the 787 like UA (and AA) do. Meanwhile DL's 332s have 234 seats, which is much closer in-line with what UA's 787-8 capacity is that UA is retrofitting its 787s to.
They have like 10 332's. And they're not getting any younger. Not sure what your point is. The notion that the A330 is in any way superior to the 787 is quite bizarre. Even AF and LH, two of the biggest A330 operators ordered it.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
They have like 10 332's. And they're not getting any younger. Not sure what your point is. The notion that the A330 is in any way superior to the 787 is quite bizarre. Even AF and LH, two of the biggest A330 operators ordered it.
I never said the A330 was "better" than the 787 (nor am I saying the 787 is "better" than the A330). You chose to read that and insert that viewpoint yourself. Of course, better is a subjective opinion in many ways - the fact that various airlines operate each type, either operating one or operating both indicates that each airline has subjective measures based on its own operating model. As for DL specifically, 11 A330-200s is currently more than the 0 787's DL currently has and DL also has a large fleet of A330-300s and a growing fleet of A330NEOs that an expanded 330-200 fleet would merge with, as well as support common parts and a common type-rating, along with the A350 also having a common type rating with the A330. If DL is looking for something with a similar capacity of the 767-300 to replace its 767-300 fleet , in addition to a 787-8, I am simply pointing out that the A330-200 is also a viable option, especially since DL has shown they're more than willing to go to the second-hand market to acquire aircraft, though with the A330 line still open, I'm sure DL could order new A330-200s if they wanted to (I highly doubt that they would).

From a personal standpoint, unless DL opts for 8 across on the 787 (which might happen given that DL opted to keep its 777s at 9 across even when other operators installed 10 across so maybe DL would opt for 8 across rather than 9), I'd rather see DL obtain more Airbus A330s. If DL opts for 8 across in Y, then I'd likely rather see them go with 787s. That's my viewpoint as a passenger. I recognize DL will make any decision on things that matter to DL (such as operating economics, operating specs, what DL needs, fleet commonality, etc.) that don't generally matter to me in a very direct way as a passenger.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by allseas1586
LHR since that’s where I go most often. 😉

I’m just being selfish and want to ride on some new A339’s. All depends how good of a deal they can get, but they will need some widebodies at some point in the future.
While far from very bad, the D1 setup on the A339s is not great. In an effort to ensure these were suites, the cabin became very packed an aisles very narrow. (DL won't allow Y/W to deplane through D1 to prevent damage to the suite doors/walls)
Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
While far from very bad, the D1 setup on the A339s is not great. In an effort to ensure these were suites, the cabin became very packed an aisles very narrow. (DL won't allow Y/W to deplane through D1 to prevent damage to the suite doors/walls)
I think this is true for large people. As a smaller person, I find the A339 D1 seats to be right up there with the best that DL offers. The IFE is really impressive and the storage space is great. The aisle is a bit narrow, but I don't exactly spend hours in the aisle, usually just 2 or 3 minutes total during the entire flight, so I don't consider that a big deal. The lack of Y passengers passing by is not a disadvantage either.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I think this is true for large people. As a smaller person, I find the A339 D1 seats to be right up there with the best that DL offers. The IFE is really impressive and the storage space is great. The aisle is a bit narrow, but I don't exactly spend hours in the aisle, usually just 2 or 3 minutes total during the entire flight, so I don't consider that a big deal. The lack of Y passengers passing by is not a disadvantage either.
Do love the IFE. However they wont even push charts through the aisle. I've seen FA remind catering they must cater through 1R not 2R for D1.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:26 pm

We see long haul aircraft on shorter runs all the time especially on transatlantic; it's not a big deal. The 788 is as perfect as it's going to get if Delta want's 767 capacity as a near match, but with higher cargo capability, lower fuel burn and maintenance. Actually makes sense on Pacific runs out of ATL/DTW/JFK as well on routes that don't require the A350 capacity. Also makes sense during the slower months in Australia. The only thing DL wasn't too keen on was the price at the time, however I'm sure Boeing can be flexible these days.

Originally Posted by jrl767

if I remember correctly, advertised range is based on max fuel, not max payload ... so the 788 could present opportunity for additional cargo revenue on the shorter TATL/TPAC/SA runs that currently see the 763
This. It's probably the ideal pandemic widebody plane tbh. (low passenger count + low fuel burn + range + cargo capability)
Newman55 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The only thing DL wasn't too keen on was the price at the time
This is patently false.

DL has said over and over that, quoting Ed here, "a decisive factor in the airline's choice was that Airbus was able to offer early delivery slots, but Boeing couldn't... Airbus emerged as the front-runner in part after it became clear its revamped A330neo could be delivered earlier than Boeing's temporarily sold-out 787 Dreamliner"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...rder/19318537/
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
This is patently false.

DL has said over and over that, quoting Ed here, "a decisive factor in the airline's choice was that Airbus was able to offer early delivery slots, but Boeing couldn't... Airbus emerged as the front-runner in part after it became clear its revamped A330neo could be delivered earlier than Boeing's temporarily sold-out 787 Dreamliner"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...rder/19318537/
I'm sure I've seen someone from DL talk about the pricing before, but your article is humorous considering it was Delta who deferred the inherited NW order for years. For them to complain about the 787 being sold out when NW held early delivery slots takes the cake...and anyone can read between the lines and realize they got a tremendous deal on NEOS that weren't selling at the time (launch customer no less). A decisive factor was indeed at play; it's called pricing.
readywhenyouare and Newman55 like this.

Last edited by Yellowjj; Oct 11, 2020 at 11:56 am
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Is/will there be a NEO version of the 332?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:30 am

Is/will there be a NEO version of the 332?
Yes, there is.
The -900neo has the same dimensions as the -300
The -800neo has the same dimensions as the -200
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The 338 seems highly unpopular with only 14 orders.
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
The 338 seems highly unpopular with only 14 orders.
In the airline industry today, where economics are so important, smaller widebodies are a tough sell. This is why the MOM is complicated (and why I believe there won't actually be one). There's going to be a gap in the seat count spectrum and that's ok. Most routes will be accommodated by either smaller or larger planes. The few routes that aren't viable with either a smaller or larger plane will have to be reorganized or combined or eliminated. Airline planners are very good at this kind of calculation, they'll have no problem figuring it out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.