Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by davedeboston
I think that if the MoM hole does get filled in the next 5 years, it will be from a new variant of a current offering rather than a clean sheet model.
-Boeing could make changes to the cancelled 787-3 design and bring that to market.
-Airbus could potentially build an A322.
Agree that the A322 is possible, but it would be severely field limited performance without some major engine rework. The A322 people are currently talking about is a people-hauler: shorter (<3000 nmi range), essentially trading higher range for passenger capacity. To get both passenger capacity plus the range for MoM is a much bigger ask.

Boeing won't make a 787-3. To make it fuel efficient would require significant changes. Boeing is better off on making an artificially low MTOW-capped 789/788 at a discount to fit the use case.
davedeboston and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
A 767X as an interim solution is still an option Boeing hasn't ruled out. It would use the engines on the 747-8i. So no need to wait on a new powerplant. Using thinner sidewall moldings they could make it a 2-4-2 configuration without losing any seat width.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Using thinner sidewall moldings they could make it a 2-4-2 configuration without losing any seat width.
This I find a bit difficult to believe. If it's just a matter of thinner sidewalls, I feel like we would have seen basically every airline go 2-4-2 on these planes. Cabin width on the 767 is 186in vs 222in on the A300 (and I would assume 310/330/340), a difference of 3ft. I'm not sure how they could possibly get an additional 3ft out of thinner sidewalls.
steve64 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
This I find a bit difficult to believe. If it's just a matter of thinner sidewalls, I feel like we would have seen basically every airline go 2-4-2 on these planes. Cabin width on the 767 is 186in vs 222in on the A300 (and I would assume 310/330/340), a difference of 3ft. I'm not sure how they could possibly get an additional 3ft out of thinner sidewalls.
Delta was planning on going to 2-4-2 around 2008 but the seat manufacturer went out of business. I'll see if I can find the photos Delta used in the promotion.

United managed to put the same seat on their 737Max as they have on their A320/319. They just reduced the size of the armrest. So there are all kinds of ways to do it.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Here are the prototype seats (blue seats on front row) that were going to be used on the 767. The Delta Museum is selling them off at auction.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Sep 29, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
If Boeing does anything, it will be based on the 757, not the 767, IMO. The economics of a small widebody just don't work.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
There was one B763ER in China for retrofit when the pandemic got serious in the US, and it's still there:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N188DN
And contrary to popular belief, that 763 was actually not getting the new D1 seats with these mods - the only mods scheduled were the addition of the PS cabin and a refresh of the Coach seats/cabin.
N515CR and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Delta was planning on going to 2-4-2 around 2008 but the seat manufacturer went out of business. I'll see if I can find the photos Delta used in the promotion.

United managed to put the same seat on their 737Max as they have on their A320/319. They just reduced the size of the armrest. So there are all kinds of ways to do it.
Just so I'm clear...you're comparing putting the same number of seats into a cabin that's 7" narrower to adding an extra seat per row to a B767?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
And contrary to popular belief, that 763 was actually not getting the new D1 seats with these mods - the only mods scheduled were the addition of the PS cabin and a refresh of the Coach seats/cabin.
How do you know that it wasn't getting a D1 upgrade?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by socalflying
Just so I'm clear...you're comparing putting the same number of seats into a cabin that's 7" narrower to adding an extra seat per row to a B767?
I'm not sure why you're confused. I was giving an example of how room can be made to accommodate different fixtures in an aircraft. You act as if I'm the one who came up with some crazy idea.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Sep 29, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
After thinking on this for a few days, I think an A321XLR order is likely to replace the 767s. DL has too many TATL routes that need small international aircraft to give up all the 767s without a replacement; the 330Neo is just too much airplane, and the 330-800 is pretty inefficient.
I am not so sure. Pre-Covid, Ed and Glen had mentioned in one of the investor calls that they were not at all convinced of the economics of a narrow-body single-aisle transoceanic aircraft for Delta. One of the points is that as employee (and especially pilot) wages go up, they need more seats to spread those costs. Delta places a lot of importance on unit costs, hence they had been on an upgauging track both domestically and internationally. Also, remember that this is 2025 we are looking at, where they estimate they would be back to 2019 traffic levels or better, which means their upgauging strategy should be valid again. I think the thinner routes will be replaced by the 764s and A332s, while some current 764 and A332 routes can be upgauged to the A339. Just like on the domestic side, there won't be these one-for-one replacements (e.g., they had ordered a massive fleet of A321s to replace everything from the MD88/90s to 757s). Total capacity can be mitigated by maybe adjusting the number of US gateways for a destination.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
How do you know that it wasn't getting a D1 upgrade?
Folks from TechOps...
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
I'm not sure why you're confused. I was giving an exams of how room can be made to accommodate different fixtures in an aircraft. You act as if I'm the one who came up with some crazy idea.
Not confused, just didn't seem like a very apt comparison. Finding 7" is much easier than finding at least 16" for an extra seat. And, as I believe Thomas Cook was the only airline that went 8 wide with the B767, there must be some reason all other airlines found it to be a more difficult/less desirable solution. But, hey, maybe that's just me...
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by socalflying
Not confused, just didn't seem like a very apt comparison. Finding 7" is much easier than finding at least 16" for an extra seat. And, as I believe Thomas Cook was the only airline that went 8 wide with the B767, there must be some reason all other airlines found it to be a more difficult/less desirable solution. But, hey, maybe that's just me...
Do you really think Delta was going to cram people in like Thomas Cook? Really?

As shown, if you bothered paying attention, the seating would have been staggered to provide the expected comfort level.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320
767 with sidewall sculpting could uncomfortably do 8 abreast. To be clear, sidewall sculpting is not something an airliner can do.

The 767 has flown in 8 abreast torture chamber configurations with seats only a bit over 16" wide: here's an exmaple. SeatGuru reports the seats as 18" wide, but that is obviously impossible. They are almost certainly 16.5" or so.

Originally Posted by kjnangre
If Boeing does anything, it will be based on the 757, not the 767, IMO. The economics of a small widebody just don't work.

I think this is the first time I've ever said this, but I actually agree with readywhenyouare. If Boeing does a MoM aircraft off an existing frame (i.e. not the NSA and definitely not the hypothetical widebody MoMA)) it will be a rebuilt 767. Boeing admitted to looking into this recently, and unlike the 757, the 767 still has an active supply chain and is under manufacture still today (for military planes). This makes it much easier from a cost perspective to next-gen it than a completely done and dead airframe like the 757.

That said, after the MAX fiasco, I wonder how much interest Boeing has in extending its reputation for pushing a frame past it's end-of-life. My guess is they double down on the NSA, ensure the design is flexible to allow for a larger narrowbody, and go from there. Boeing does not have the money to make high-risk gambles like a 767X. The NSA will suck up all their money, and that is a strategic imperative they absolutely have to have unless they want to cede narrowbody market to Airbus entirely. The current MAX is competitive with the neo, but that won't be true for the generation after this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.