Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
I think this is the first time I've ever said this, but I actually agree with readywhenyouare.
Clearly not your finest day. You've had some good posts lately tho, so we'll let this one slide . Everybody has a bad day sometimes
davedeboston and ethernal like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Do you really think Delta was going to cram people in like Thomas Cook? Really?

As shown, if you bothered paying attention, the seating would have been staggered to provide the expected comfort level.
Hold the presses....did you just say something positive about Delta?

And, well, I give individual posts the attention I feel they are worth.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by socalflying
Hold the presses....did you just say something positive about Delta?

And, well, I give individual posts the attention I feel they are worth.
Well, you weren't around to see my posts prior to around 2012. They were pretty much all positive. But when a company does something so unspeakably awful, I just couldn't turn a blind eye anymore.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:21 pm

Well, you weren't around to see my posts prior to around 2012. They were pretty much all positive. But when a company does something so unspeakably awful, I just couldn't turn a blind eye anymore.
So you've devoted your life to trashing them on the internet. Maybe it's time to move on with your life
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
At least they gave up on the Gordon’s Gin experiment... 😂
Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
In what universe is ~90 717's a subfleet?
Certainly the corner of the Universe around Denton Drive in Dallas (and the online fanboys who attribute 100% of that airline's success to "only flying 737s")
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
At least they gave up on the Gordon’s Gin experiment... 😂
Oh wow I didn't think anyone would get what I was talking about! 👍🏻
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
My thinking as well. I think DL would love an efficient narrowbody that can serve a whole bunch of secondary markets in Europe from ATL/JFK.

787 is a great plane, but it would be an oddball subfleet, and if there's one thing that's become crystal clear in the last few months, DL doesn't like oddball subfleets (farewell 777, 717, 737-700).
I think it's more likely that VS would buy more 787 and then sell their older 330s to DL.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I think it's more likely that VS would buy more 787 and then sell their older 330s to DL.
Perhaps, but the problem that we were discussing is that DL might struggle to serve secondary markets where an A330 is just too big. So, having more A330s doesn't really seem to solve that problem
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Perhaps, but the problem that we were discussing is that DL might struggle to serve secondary markets where an A330 is just too big. So, having more A330s doesn't really seem to solve that problem
Doubt DL will retire all the int'l configured 757s at once, plus they have 100 A321 NEOs on order
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Doubt DL will retire all the int'l configured 757s at once, plus they have 100 A321 NEOs on order
Indeed we spent the last 3 pages or so discussing the suitability of those exact planes for secondary European markets, you can probably go back and take a look
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Latam has some very young 767's. That's what Delta should have bargained for instead of A350's (that they've now canceled) for the JV.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 4:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Flying on a 717 right now

...and I got to admit it is sad that one of the last vestiges of MD (née Douglas) is going away. Next to the 757, the MD aircraft are my favorites. I miss having variety in aircraft.

I think the consolidation that has happened in the aircraft manufacturing sector has been a detriment. I know it makes fantastic sense from a finance perspective, but I do believe that competition is healthy--and two manufacturers isn't healthy competition.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
That said, after the MAX fiasco, I wonder how much interest Boeing has in extending its reputation for pushing a frame past it's end-of-life. My guess is they double down on the NSA, ensure the design is flexible to allow for a larger narrowbody, and go from there. Boeing does not have the money to make high-risk gambles like a 767X. The NSA will suck up all their money, and that is a strategic imperative they absolutely have to have unless they want to cede narrowbody market to Airbus entirely. The current MAX is competitive with the neo, but that won't be true for the generation after this.
If Boeing did this with the 767, while there may possibly be a perception issue, it would be far less likely to be an actual issue. This certainly isn't an issue with the 330 NEO. The 737 MAX was a series of cascading effects beginning first with the need to move the engines up and forward to maintain the appropriate engine clearance due to the bigger engines on the 737 MAX This shifted the A/C CG, which drove the need for MCAS to make the plane "fly" like an NG 737. But If the engine clearance on a 767 revamp isn't an issue and thus doesn't proceed down that path, the 767X avoids the first domino in the line. The 767 is already been revamped to some extent. The KC-46 is nick-named the "Franken-Tanker" because it has components from the -200, -300, and -400 series of the 767 and even included a partial 787-style flight deck with the displays. The issues with the KC-46 aren't in the legacy 767 aspects but in the aspects that make it a tanker.

The question is - with the 787 line still open (albeit, being consolidated), would a 767 revamp really provide value in a market that a 787-8 could probably mostly fill already and would Boeing see the ROE from developing a new 767X line?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If Boeing did this with the 767, while there may possibly be a perception issue, it would be far less likely to be an actual issue. This certainly isn't an issue with the 330 NEO. The 737 MAX was a series of cascading effects beginning first with the need to move the engines up and forward to maintain the appropriate engine clearance due to the bigger engines on the 737 MAX This shifted the A/C CG, which drove the need for MCAS to make the plane "fly" like an NG 737. But If the engine clearance on a 767 revamp isn't an issue and thus doesn't proceed down that path, the 767X avoids the first domino in the line. The 767 is already been revamped to some extent. The KC-46 is nick-named the "Franken-Tanker" because it has components from the -200, -300, and -400 series of the 767 and even included a partial 787-style flight deck with the displays. The issues with the KC-46 aren't in the legacy 767 aspects but in the aspects that make it a tanker.

The question is - with the 787 line still open (albeit, being consolidated), would a 767 revamp really provide value in a market that a 787-8 could probably mostly fill already and would Boeing see the ROE from developing a new 767X line?
I don't see a reboot of the 767. Any new plane would use some composites to make them lighter and thus more fuel efficient.
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.