Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
3) People who have DL travel credits to use and the Z fares were +/- $1,000 round trip.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm happy enough with a decent hard seltzer at a BBQ or picnic or something, but given the option, I would much rather have a vodka soda with lime, served in a real glass with ice.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
May a Big Disappointment

If you thought the pandemic service in F was bad, the May 1 changes was not any better and actually worse

It seems the only change Delta made was to sell the center seats in the back and fill the empty seats in the front (only one upgrade was noticed at the gate) so I'm guessing many seats went to employees on paid upgrades.

The two flights I was on were both filled to capacity with no sales left. The gate lice seemed minimal since very few business folks seemed to be around to form lines either at MCO or ATL. Thus folks just stood around wondering where the boarding line started.

Of course still no PDB but on the shorter flight 1.5 hrs they did take drink orders on the ground for later service. Only food on both the short flight as well as a 2 hr later flight was the cookie and a bag of almonds. One still had to ask for bottled. water . No more bananas offered, supposedly its skin may have been touched by others. I decided to try the favorite drinks discussed in this forum, asking initially for the margarita. I even bought my own fresh limes to squeeze. For me the drink was way too sour YMMV. Later in the flight I asked to try the Old Fashion but the FA said that it wasn't catered and only two choices were offered in cans. The good news was that he later discovered there were cans of it being sold in the back of the plane so he fetched me one.

Meanwhile I had visited the Sky Club in the B concourse and shopped their offerings. Still quite spartan with no post pandemic offerings. I did manage to grab a couple of packaged roll ups and so I was the only one in first munching on something other than my nuts.

Delta is still spouting about while filling seats on their plane they still offer a fearless pandemic experience

I really don't see a reasonable value in buying either a sky club entrance or a first class seat

save your money don't splurge on any Delta premium service

PS
TSA pre-check was visibly overwhelmed by the influx of new passenger rushing to fill center seats on Delta so that value competes well with Spirit but not WN

Last edited by Lomapaseo; May 1, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Old May 1, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
JetBlue has the same J seat across its entire transcon fleet.

I would echo this same list in the same order. All of these airlines offer full food and beverage service, amenity kits, and business class pillow/blanket sets, and all far exceed Delta's current offering. There are only two groups of people who should be paying for Transcon D1 at this point:

1) people bound by their company policy which disallows any other option
2) people who really care about retaining status on Delta and otherwise wouldn't

Absent those two items, there is virtually no reason to fly D1 on a transcon.
You forgot if you want to be first to try their next snack box mix...
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
If you thought the pandemic service in F was bad, the May 1 changes was not any better and actually worse

It seems the only change Delta made was to sell the center seats in the back and fill the empty seats in the front (only one upgrade was noticed at the gate) so I'm guessing many seats went to employees on paid upgrades.

The two flights I was on were both filled to capacity with no sales left. The gate lice seemed minimal since very few business folks seemed to be around to form lines either at MCO or ATL. Thus folks just stood around wondering where the boarding line started.

Of course still no PDB but on the shorter flight 1.5 hrs they did take drink orders on the ground for later service. Only food on both the short flight as well as a 2 hr later flight was the cookie and a bag of almonds. One still had to ask for bottled. water . No more bananas offered, supposedly its skin may have been touched by others. I decided to try the favorite drinks discussed in this forum, asking initially for the margarita. I even bought my own fresh limes to squeeze. For me the drink was way too sour YMMV. Later in the flight I asked to try the Old Fashion but the FA said that it wasn't catered and only two choices were offered in cans. The good news was that he later discovered there were cans of it being sold in the back of the plane so he fetched me one.

Meanwhile I had visited the Sky Club in the B concourse and shopped their offerings. Still quite spartan with no post pandemic offerings. I did manage to grab a couple of packaged roll ups and so I was the only one in first munching on something other than my nuts.

Delta is still spouting about while filling seats on their plane they still offer a fearless pandemic experience

I really don't see a reasonable value in buying either a sky club entrance or a first class seat

save your money don't splurge on any Delta premium service

PS
TSA pre-check was visibly overwhelmed by the influx of new passenger rushing to fill center seats on Delta so that value competes well with Spirit but not WN
What was the second choice of a canned drink that the FA initially offered you from FC? You had the margarita, so what else was available? I thought the only choices were Old Fashion and margarita.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
You forgot if you want to be first to try their next snack box mix...
Flight Fuel (3 choices on a good day?) >>> current two boxes >>> what's worse? Surplus military shelf stable junk?
Old May 1, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SFO777
Unless I missed it, you didn't identify the route.

If it's NYC-LAX/SFO, anyone other than Alaska is better then Delta. These all have lie flat seats...
1. jetBlue Mint
2. American Business (or First but currently not worth the premium until First Dining re-opens)
3. United Business (EWR or JFK)
Not sure if the above was meant to be a ranking, but I’d put UA J above AA J if it is operated on an aircraft with Polaris seats. The food and ground experience (e.g. lounge) aren’t as good, but the seat itself is far superior to the AA 321T J seat.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The website actually isn’t the clearest. ATL/MSP-HNL (which are both considered “Domestic Delta One”) never had hot meals or drinks taken off.
That still wouldn't make it a "bait and switch", though. If anything it would suggest that certain domestic routes get more than the website says.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by cmd320
JetBlue has the same J seat across its entire transcon fleet.
This is not correct.
JFK/BOS/FLL-PDX does not feature Mint. Nor do BUR-BOS, BUR-JFK, ONT-JFK,SMF-JFK, SMF-BOS, SJC-BOS, SJC-JFK....

If you're referring to planes that do feature J, note that will change soon as Jetblue has indicated it will feature suites on some of its JFK-LAX planes, but not others.

It's hard to give advice here because the OP has not specified which "coast to coast" route he is referring to. Not every route has the same other options.

Last edited by Adam1222; May 1, 2021 at 8:35 pm
Old May 1, 2021, 9:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What was the second choice of a canned drink that the FA initially offered you from FC? You had the margarita, so what else was available? I thought the only choices were Old Fashion and margarita.
Sorry my mind was made up by this forum so I didn't listen to alternates
Old May 1, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
DL104 GRU-ATL dinner and Breakfast meals in Delta One

Does anyone know what is presently being served on DL104 in Delta One?

Is he beverage service reduced because of Covid 19 or a full beverage service, how are the meals?

RC

Last edited by Radiocycle; May 1, 2021 at 11:24 pm
Old May 1, 2021, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
Does anyone know what is presently being served on DL104 in Delta One?

Is he beverage service reduced because of Covid 19 or a fullbeverage service, how are the meals?

RC
Intercontinental D1 receives close to full service, albeit in a less attentive and more express option. There also may be plastic cups in place of proper glassware in some places.

You may experience lazy cabin crew in which case use of the call button is merited. Keep in mind, according to the Mayo Clinic, the ‘rona only affects Delta’s ability to offer full service on intracontinental flights. Intercontinental D1 flights are not affected to the same extent.
volabam and strickerj like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
It is a 9-1/2 hour intercontinental flight, Should be a heavier load of passengers in late October when travel is more normalized.

RC
Old May 1, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Have a good meal in Sao Paulo before and just sleep on the flight. Breakfast will be the same as before minus proper glass-wear.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Flight Fuel (3 choices on a good day?) >>> current two boxes >>> what's worse? Surplus military shelf stable junk?
Fueling my flight with Albanese gummy bears is ok in my book.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
I started flying again April 1....two flights.....based on everything posted I went with AA (MSP-SAF via DFW) and a quick trip to DCA.....Paid F.....great service.....no PDB but quick drink service once in the air and checked on throughout the flight. Attitude of the FA excellent. Admirals's Club in Dallas (Terminal D) was excellent as well. I was planning on Delta on my next trip in two weeks to DCA but think I will stick with AA. There is no perfect A+ carrier now but I think AA is trying to deliver in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.