Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jeet
NOW, if there was a separate CS rating for FC cabin, then the real picture will come out but then no one at DL is interested in that because ultimately this is all down to saving $$
I'm sure they have that data... since the after flight surveys and feedback forms ask what flight and class of service you were in... and they also know from your account and flight history. They just don't publicize that level of granularity.
TXguy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by drminn
Or maybe there are just a bunch of whiners on FT ...

It surely amazes me how long this "discussion" about missing cans of coke has been going on.

Just sayin.
And on the other side, shameless eternal DL apologists who criticize those who don't give DL a pass and yet hypocritically, they keep writing here complaining about others who are actually calling out DL for its dishonesty. I mean, really, when Spirit offers more services than Delta, you should know there is a serious problem. Kinda like the ancient struggle between good and evil. LOL jk

p.s. The discussion hasn't just been on Coke products, but ice, coffee, or at least a sandwich on a 5+ flight at a time when DL isn't even capping Delta None on widebody aircraft.

Originally Posted by jeet
This has been discussed before.. CS ratings are general - across the board and only a dimwit will give lower ratings when seat next to you is empty - COVID or not..doesn't matter.
The ma and pa's and other regular folks (in main cabin) even if they fly regularly will be perfectly happy with an empty seat, faster boarding and any snacks. These things will always improve CS ratings regardless of pandemic

NOW, if there was a separate CS rating for FC cabin, then the real picture will come out but then no one at DL is interested in that because ultimately this is all down to saving $$
Pretty sure the survey system that DL uses does provide the option to differentiate by cabins. DL simply conveniently adds all classes together so that the low scores from F ratings don't hurt the numbers they want to present.
xiphoid76, p100a and strickerj like this.

Last edited by fly747first; Feb 11, 2021 at 11:23 am
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:35 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drminn
Or maybe there are just a bunch of whiners on FT ...

It surely amazes me how long this "discussion" about missing cans of coke has been going on.

Just sayin.
Most likely Delta Skymiles folks who prefer to fly Delta due to past loyalty, but are flying other airlines due to reduction in in-flight service.

Speaking for myself, I wish Delta can get back to some semblance of service, so I don’t have to worry about separate frequent flier programs.
steve64 and jamesteroh like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wchinchen
Most likely Delta Skymiles folks who prefer to fly Delta due to past loyalty, but are flying other airlines due to reduction in in-flight service.

Speaking for myself, I wish Delta can get back to some semblance of service, so I don’t have to worry about separate frequent flier programs.
I'm CK with AA but when JFK LAX frequencies are down to just twice a day in some cases, I have to consider other options and though B6 is my typical alternative, not going to pay them three times as much especially on flights when the Mint Suite seats are all taken since I often have to book flights at the last minute.

Not sure who would prefer DL based on frequent flyer program when the airline doesn't even publish award charts and they just secretly keep increasing mileage levels. However, prior to Covid, I truly enjoyed the former D1 product since the soft service was solid and sometimes I could even get an A330 JFK LAX.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
What really blows my mind is that Delta said their customer satisfaction ratings are at an all time high. With no service on a first class long haul how could the ratings be good? Probably the people rating them are the ma and pa's who fly once a year and love the blocked seat in Y.

I thought JFK-LAX was a D1 and they were providing full service in D1.

If Delta isn't going to provide service on long hauls in F, one thing they should do is give an airport voucher so someone can grab something to eat at the airport before a long flight or to eat in flight.
This is exactly what is happening... They are not surveying frequent/business/elite travelers anymore. I haven't gotten a survey email in 9 months and at the time was a 360. They are only citing the infrequent flyer going to see the long lost family that haven't flown in a year! That is what triggers a survey email. Not one that flies very week or month. Ed should resign. This nonsense is ridiculous.
DLATL777 and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JustSomeFlyer
DL2123 B757-200 (75G) ATL-SEA. Snack bag + Snack Boxes (Crave or Crunch) given out, choice of Miller Lite, Sweet Water 420, white, or red served offered on a tray. Flight attendants came by every 30 minutes with a tray of water bottles this flight... holy cow I must have ended up pocketing 6 or 7 bottles (mix of Niagara/Delta branded). I guess that's one way to compensate for the lack of other beverages. Another round of snack bag + snack boxes (Crave or Crunch) given out an hour prior to landing.

I emailed a scathing complaint about all the junk in these snack boxes and how they claim to doing this to reduce touch points bla bla bla.... Count up all the items that one will eat piece by piece and the trash that results... Far more than 1 meal tray in fc. Yet the FAs walk around 10x more collecting all the trash from this crap! Delta called me and I conveyed all of this to them and the rep sounded surprised and in disbelief and kept apologizing. It's as if they don't even realize how jacked up their lack of service is.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by p100a
I emailed a scathing complaint about all the junk in these snack boxes and how they claim to doing this to reduce touch points bla bla bla.... Count up all the items that one will eat piece by piece and the trash that results... Far more than 1 meal tray in fc. Yet the FAs walk around 10x more collecting all the trash from this crap! Delta called me and I conveyed all of this to them and the rep sounded surprised and in disbelief and kept apologizing. It's as if they don't even realize how jacked up their lack of service is.
the incompetence and general lack of accountability is unforgivable and truly stunning. United is really trying
enviroian and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
I usually buy/fly F. I am a GM and will probably be PM this year depending on how things go with the vaccines later in the year.

I would vastly prefer an empty seat next to me than a regular domestic F meal, virus or not, though I would prefer both. Domestic F with a seatmate can be cramped.

I also like anything that even slightly reduces the risk of contracting COVID. I don’t want it. I do think the risk is higher with someone else’s face a foot from mine, I’m sorry. I know many people frequently flying now (and I am not) may not really care much about COVID. Maybe that’s the difference. I don’t know. But don’t assume everyone else is unconcerned. And yes, I understand the risk is low on planes either way.

Obviously random/anecdotal but see here: https://thepointsguy.com/news/status...ican-to-delta/
jdrtravel and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Multiple bev service on 2hr flight

ATL - IAH in F on Saturday. Awesome crew. Did 3 bev service. Got sweet water and a wine! Been a while in the pandemic era since I have received multiple drinks in a short flight.

strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by arunhn
ATL - IAH in F on Saturday. Awesome crew. Did 3 bev service. Got sweet water and a wine! Been a while in the pandemic era since I have received multiple drinks in a short flight.

haven't seen that wine yet .. how was it?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 7:40 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
I'm CK with AA but when JFK LAX frequencies are down to just twice a day in some cases, I have to consider other options and though B6 is my typical alternative, not going to pay them three times as much especially on flights when the Mint Suite seats are all taken since I often have to book flights at the last minute.

Not sure who would prefer DL based on frequent flyer program when the airline doesn't even publish award charts and they just secretly keep increasing mileage levels. However, prior to Covid, I truly enjoyed the former D1 product since the soft service was solid and sometimes I could even get an A330 JFK LAX.
I think loyalty is one of the multi factors in the ticket purchasing decision making process, regardless of in-service options. People stick with products that they are most familiar with. I believe price and schedule are the biggest factors, other than specific award tickets.

For example, without COVID, I would have never became an AA EXP, as I just purchased Delta for all business flights pre-COVID due to schedule. As people are flying even less, the known name brand, is the easier choice, regardless of in-flight service.
jamesteroh and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by TXguy
I usually buy/fly F. I am a GM and will probably be PM this year depending on how things go with the vaccines later in the year.

I would vastly prefer an empty seat next to me than a regular domestic F meal, virus or not, though I would prefer both. Domestic F with a seatmate can be cramped.

I also like anything that even slightly reduces the risk of contracting COVID. I don’t want it. I do think the risk is higher with someone else’s face a foot from mine, I’m sorry. I know many people frequently flying now (and I am not) may not really care much about COVID. Maybe that’s the difference. I don’t know. But don’t assume everyone else is unconcerned. And yes, I understand the risk is low on planes either way.

Obviously random/anecdotal but see here: https://thepointsguy.com/news/status...ican-to-delta/
Everyone loves having an empty seat next to them. But that isn't reality or financially sustainable. Fly private if that's a deal breaker after delta stops blocking seats. But the data doesn't support any safety increase by blocking the seat next to you. Having a face 2 feet on your side vs 2 feet behind or in front of you is totally irrelevant on an airplane. Has there been a covid outbreak on any US or intl airline that hasn't blocked seats?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by p100a
Everyone loves having an empty seat next to them. But that isn't reality or financially sustainable. Fly private if that's a deal breaker after delta stops blocking seats. But the data doesn't support any safety increase by blocking the seat next to you. Having a face 2 feet on your side vs 2 feet behind or in front of you is totally irrelevant on an airplane. Has there been a covid outbreak on any US or intl airline that hasn't blocked seats?
Right now it IS reality on Delta. I am not saying it is how it can be long term. Reality is NOT full meal and beverage service right now. Yet so many of you scream about that.

In any case, I think 1 1/2 feet next to you is worse than 3 feet behind or in front of you with seats in between. But that’s just me.

Fly someone else if you don’t like the Delta reality. But there are clearly tangible benefits to DL or they wouldn’t be doing it.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXguy
Right now it IS reality on Delta.
Incorrect, period. An empty seat next to you isn't guaranteed on every DL flight, and they have significantly reduced the number of seats being blocked... even domestic D1 is booked to capacity when operated by a widebody.

I will include some major changes below for your reference:

"On aircraft without any middle seats: We will block the selection of one aisle of seats on smaller aircraft."

"Delta One cabins with two aisles will have no capacity limitation."

Coronavirus Travel: FAQs | Delta Air Lines
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Forget for a moment that the science regarding "touch points" when the FAs are gloved or regularly sanitizing is probably a completely pointless effort.

If you can serve snack box(es), collect trash, distribute wine and beer, headphones, you can serve coffee or a Coke. DL has grown comfortable with crappy service, enjoyed the cost savings, and is doing it under the false veil of safety. I've flown F on AA and UA several times and when they are putting DL service to shame, things are wrong in the world. I want to stay loyal to DL, but I'm growing weary.

I just booked a paid flight in D1 from JFK-LAX and, from what it says online, I'll be getting snackboxes for fives hours, and relegated to sippee bottles of water? It's nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.