Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:20 pm

That's fine. And I don't blame you if you cwant traditional service in non-traditional times. I hate DAL's service. But how is that working for AA? Delta's internal (and reported) metrics show that's strict adherence to reduced service, interaction, and seat blocking is working. Do you think DAL just decided to go with blocked middle coach seats through end of March for the hell of it? Hell ho. The numbers show it's working.

Originally Posted by DLATL777
100%. Of my remaining flights until Feb 2021, everything is going to AA. Even to the Caribbean, Id rather connect in MIA with full service than Delta direct with nothing. This is paid J. If in economy I would take the direct, but when Im paying for a premium experience I expect the service to come with it.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by n7371f
That's fine. And I don't blame you if you cwant traditional service in non-traditional times. I hate DAL's service. But how is that working for AA? Delta's internal (and reported) metrics show that's strict adherence to reduced service, interaction, and seat blocking is working. Do you think DAL just decided to go with blocked middle coach seats through end of March for the hell of it? Hell ho. The numbers show it's working.
You should become DL's spokesperson

If you want to live in an alternative reality, go ahead. DL has ZERO evidence of actually providing a safer experience onboard. All their competitors, including ultra low-cost Spirit, are offering far better inflight services and yet you don't hear of any of these having a wave of Covid on their flights. DL has chosen to act in a highly dishonest manner and in the long-run, they will pay the consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if the mega lies DL is trying to pull backfire on them... once there is a Covid vaccine and travel demand grows overnight, they will be forced to bring back inflight services but their super lazy cabin crews will object (how dare DL demand they actually provide service to the passengers building their revenue!) and still opt to unionize.
p100a and GagaPilot like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I was on the fence with DL. But, since I've flown many times on DL since covid and their partner Aeromexico who packs their flights with no empty middle seats, the only thing now I find beneficial with DL is nobody will be sitting next to you in a three seat configuration. That's about it. AM has also equipped their planes with HEPA filters, and do the same sanitizing as DL. I don't believe one empty middle seat changes much, other than provides passengers with extra elbow room.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by fly747first
You should become DL's spokesperson

If you want to live in an alternative reality, go ahead. DL has ZERO evidence of actually providing a safer experience onboard. All their competitors, including ultra low-cost Spirit, are offering far better inflight services and yet you don't hear of any of these having a wave of Covid on their flights. DL has chosen to act in a highly dishonest manner and in the long-run, they will pay the consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if the mega lies DL is trying to pull backfire on them... once there is a Covid vaccine and travel demand grows overnight, they will be forced to bring back inflight services but their super lazy cabin crews will object (how dare DL demand they actually provide service to the passengers building their revenue!) and still opt to unionize.
DL is well aware its about cost cutting. But can you imagine how bad it would look to just say that? haha they know they really publicly cant, so I understand the rock they are between in that case. (I dont agree and hate the service, I merely just agree they are between a rock in a hard place in stating why they are doing it).
cmd320 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Zorak
I know a lot of people have a dim view of DL's competence, but do people believe

- DL is too stupid to segment their survey results by F/J
- DL is unaware of what its own J bookings look like both recently and in the near future

We weren't in the middle of a prolonged global pandemic situation years ago. Context matters. Which is why all the snickering "beer cans can't carry COVID but soda can" or "I guess you can't catch COVID on international flights" are misplaced, IMO. Sure, if you focus extremely narrowly on that specific thing, I agree it seems ludicrous for anyone to think that handing out a can of beer is inherently any more or less risky than handing out a can of soda, and obviously the risk in eating a meal on a plane doesn't change based on the plane's destination.

But those decisions aren't being made in a vacuum. Of *course* some of it is cost cutting, but some of it is safety related, some of it is practical/logistics, some of it is keeping FAs happy, and some of it is keeping customers happy (and different customers prioritize different things). Presumably they are balancing all these factors, and while we will surely continue to argue about the relative proportions of those factors, it seems understandable to me that different routes/markets could have different pressures and so maybe they make different compromises domestically vs. internationally. Marketing isn't going to come out and say it in those terms of course...

So while it's great that everyone's announcing they're moving all their business to AA (do we get points or something for announcing this publicly?) unless you think DL is happy flying F cabins full of upgraders and nonrevs, presumably they have macro data vs. anecdotal complaints on FT and they believe they can sustain what they're doing or weather the storm for at least a while longer. It's entirely possible they're wrong about that, but I imagine they'll re-evaluate as the situation continues to evolve.

Plus, the active discussion in the status match thread, plus discussions in other airline forums on FT shows that interest in switching airlines goes in both directions.
This thread is a classic case of "what have you done for me lately." Years and years of UA and AA hate (or rather CO dba UA hate and HP dba AA via dba US) and a few months of subpar DL inflight offerings and suddenly that AA seat that is more uncomfortable than spending time in an MRI tube is the best flying experience in the history of modern aviation, while DL, "my fafo(u)rite airline while every other domestic service sucks" has now been relegated to the worst thing ever to take the domestic skies.

And suddenly, DL's spin is now the "most dishonest spin ever to come out of an airline" while we all know that airline policy PR spin, as an industry, is the highest royalty of PR spin.

Do I love DL's current cornucopia of opulent inflight offerings? No.
Are they ok enough for the time being? Pretty much.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

And suddenly, DL's spin is now the "most dishonest spin ever to come out of an airline" while we all know that airline policy PR spin, as an industry, is the highest royalty of PR spin.
Go on Linkedin and Facebook and witness for yourself DL stating how they aren't serving meals for safety reasons when in reality it is for pure cost-cutting and attempting to prevent FAs from unionizing, yet DL's dishonest marketing team is trying to look like heroes on social media.

To quote one of my favorite strategists who always remains objective and isn't willing to compromise her professional integrity: "Do you know how to spell hypocrisy or should I spell it out for you"?
enviroian, SFO777, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:48 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

So did Delta pigeon hole itself to not resume in-flight services until the vaccine is widely distributed? The time when business have a better chance of allowing business travel?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go on Linkedin and Facebook and witness for yourself DL stating how they aren't serving meals for safety reasons when in reality it is for pure cost-cutting and attempting to prevent FAs from unionizing, yet DL's dishonest marketing team is trying to look like heroes on social media.

To quote one of my favorite strategists who always remains objective and isn't willing to compromise her professional integrity: "Do you know how to spell hypocrisy or should I spell it out for you"?
And my point was airline spin hypocrisy is the gold standard of PR hypocrisy no matter what airline spews it, pretty much since the end of the CAB.* (And when I rely on Linkedin and Facebook for "news" with or sans hyperbole, western civilization for all practical purposes will have ended.)

*I guess I'm old, but still have a memory!
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Do I love DL's current cornucopia of opulent inflight offerings? No.
Are they ok enough for the time being? Pretty much.
I think this highlights the difference many of us have here. As someone spending my own money or my company’s money, I’m not satisfied settling for downmarket crap. YMMV
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or sadly, you don't understand the basic concepts of competitive analysis and professional integrity*... but that's ok, I'm sure your beloved DL will forgive you as they do for anything that is to their advantage

*U.S. airlines in general are plagued by terrible management teams but when an alcoholic like Doug Parker openly admits his hatred for AA's elites and UA didn't lie about Smisek's corrupt behavior essentially bringing a federal investigation to the company, DL gets zero sympathy for me; they clearly have no desire to be honest and uphold any level of integrity
Oh, I do have plenty of understanding. I have no love for DL, AA or UA. I've liked DL over the past few years, which is my entire lifetime of experience with DL. I'm a UA MM (and probably have flown somewhere between 2 and 3M BIS amongst all airlines, both living and deceased) that barely sets foot on a UA plane anymore. I've flown AA from occasional time to time over the years (and probably will so again with closer ties to AS). I just find it amusing that so many for so long had nothing good to say about UA or AA and now flee DL in droves to enjoy something that Swanson or Banquet would serve them, along with a few minibottles of booze.
AS Flyer and TXguy like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just find it amusing that so many for so long had nothing good to say about UA or AA and now flee DL in droves to enjoy something that Swanson or Banquet would serve them, along with a few minibottles of booze.
Have you seen my signature? I'm CK with AA and I'm the first one to be critical of them. I have been on flights with Doug Parker where I wasn't shy to point out his unprofessional attitude towards the cabin crew. Trust me, should I face the dishonor of meeting Ed Bastian on a flight, I would give him a piece of my mind.

Please refrain from including me in the "so many" you are implying are inconsistent and if you actually read carefully through my posts you would know I don't drink alcohol. However, refusing to offer something as basic as ice (when even Spirit maintains it onboard btw) is beyond shameful for any full-service airline, though I'm sure your beloved ATL-based carrier would argue otherwise, allegeDLy.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I think this highlights the difference many of us have here. As someone spending my own money or my company’s money, I’m not satisfied settling for downmarket crap. YMMV

Put on "china" and served with a cocktail, this is now upmarket airline food.
DiverDave and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Put on "china" and served with a cocktail, this is now upmarket airline food.
It’s all relative. Quite frankly the 7-11 sandwiches and ice served on AA and UA look more upmarket than the handful of vending machine snacks and Estero mini wines served ice cold on Delta. I don’t think anyone here is saying the like AA, UA or even Delta for that matter. It’s pretty widely known that US airlines are some of the most lamented products in the world, however as long as we’re all stuck with them, yes, the difference between upmarket and downmarket can be as simple as a glass of ice and a soft drink at this point, and this is where DL is far, far behind.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you seen my signature? I'm CK with AA and I'm the first one to be critical of them. I have been on flights with Doug Parker where I wasn't shy to point out his unprofessional attitude towards the cabin crew. Trust me, should I face the dishonor of meeting Ed Bastian on a flight, I would give him a piece of my mind.

Please refrain from including me in the "so many" you are implying are inconsistent and if you actually read carefully through my posts you would know I don't drink alcohol. However, refusing to offer something as basic as ice (when even Spirit maintains it onboard btw) is beyond shameful for any full-service airline, though I'm sure your beloved ATL-based carrier would argue otherwise, allegeDLy.
It is not my "beloved ATL-based carrier." It is an "it is what it is for now" and I was ok, with limited travel,this year, to fly DL in F, with an empty seat next to me, MQMs that carry forward to 2021, pre-departure lounges that provided good enough offerings, and inflight service that was quite friendly, kept the wine coming, and snack boxes I could play with, along with decent IFE screens. And yes, delusional or not, I'd prefer to have an empty seat next to me for the time being than being served Swanson on China. Note that while Mr. Parker might have been spewing anti-elite "honesty," the marketing that AA spewed on its elites was contrary to Mr. Parker's own spew.
AS Flyer, Fly_Delta_Jets and TXguy like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Do you think DAL just decided to go with blocked middle coach seats through end of March for the hell of it? Hell ho. The numbers show it's working.
What numbers? What are you talking about? No one is getting covid on planes. If they did it would be a media blowout on the news.

LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.