Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Do you mean having space as a matter of more personal space or more in reference to being safer from catching covid? If it's the latter then those people who do believe are surely mistaken.
Huh? If there are fewer people on board any particular aircraft, then your chances of being exposed to COVID are proportionately lower.

David
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
I know a lot of people have a dim view of DL's competence, but do people believe

- DL is too stupid to segment their survey results by F/J
- DL is unaware of what its own J bookings look like both recently and in the near future
It's become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and yes, I sort of doubt the data they're giving out is actually divided based on Y/J surveys. In fact the surveys themselves don't really seem to differentiate between Y/J (well C+ and J at least).

We weren't in the middle of a prolonged global pandemic situation years ago. Context matters. Which is why all the snickering "beer cans can't carry COVID but soda can" or "I guess you can't catch COVID on international flights" are misplaced, IMO. Sure, if you focus extremely narrowly on that specific thing, I agree it seems ludicrous for anyone to think that handing out a can of beer is inherently any more or less risky than handing out a can of soda, and obviously the risk in eating a meal on a plane doesn't change based on the plane's destination.
The problem is 'pandemic' here is a red herring. Regardless of whether it's CV, Black Plague, Ebola, or a world free from all disease, poverty, suffering, etc. Y passengers are still going to prefer an airline which blocks its middle seats, therefore the survey results will always be skewed to favor the airline. I don't think I've ever spoken to a person in my life who would book a Y ticket on a full flight vs. one where they were guaranteed to have an open seat next to them. The data is skewed for that reason, and that is by far the primary driver of Delta's current high customer satisfaction ratings.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Huh? If there are fewer people on board any particular aircraft, then your chances of being exposed to COVID are proportionately lower.
There's nothing to indicate that airlines booking their planes to capacity (and offering food and beverage service) are experiencing any heightened levels of transmission vs airlines that are not. This is just marketing hype.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by The Situation
I am sure they do, but along with macro data comes paralysis by analysis. Data can be very useful, but it can be a hinderance too, especially in a business environment that changes so quickly. I do believe much of the data DL is relying on is stale,
Is your belief based on anything, or just gut feeling? (That's fine too, but just curious.)

and I am also leery of how its being interpreted since data can be manipulated to show pretty much any point you are trying to prove.
I mean, besides outright manipulation, it's also possible for reasonable people to interpret the same data and reach different conclusions on the best course of action.

In times like these, you have to rely on your knowledge of the customer and instincts of where the industry is heading, not stale data that shows what the customer wanted three months ago.
It seems to me that "knowledge of the customer" and "instincts of where the industry is heading" would be based on even older data than from the beginning of COVID

If you asked me in August, if I thought food and beverage should be served on a/c, I would have said no. But as science has shown, a/c are safe environments, and its clear the customer wants food. If DL does not start providing food soon, they will get left behind as customers will begin defecting.
I think you've raised some reasonable points, but there's danger in you or me or anyone assuming we are representative customers or that such a thing even exists as "A" representative customer. Besides the usual divide between leisure and business travelers each of those categories can probably be split up into several other archetypes. They can't focus on one to the exclusion of all others, they have to figure out what kind of mix to try to go for.

So I wouldn't say it's clear "the" customer wants food. It's clear many people participating in this thread want it maybe they are a vocal minority, maybe they are speaking what many others who aren't on FT are feeling. I don't pretend to know. But as mentioned above, while some of those defect away from DL, there are posts in other airline FT forums where people have expressed a wish that their airline had DL's middle seat blocking policy, so there may be people defecting to DL as well.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cmd320
The problem is 'pandemic' here is a red herring. Regardless of whether it's CV, Black Plague, Ebola, or a world free from all disease, poverty, suffering, etc. Y passengers are still going to prefer an airline which blocks its middle seats, therefore the survey results will always be skewed to favor the airline. I don't think I've ever spoken to a person in my life who would book a Y ticket on a full flight vs. one where they were guaranteed to have an open seat next to them. The data is skewed for that reason, and that is by far the primary driver of Delta's current high customer satisfaction ratings.
You're looking at it as "would you be happier with the seat next to you empty" which of course will always be "yes", as you pointed out. But I don't think that's the releavnt question, I think the relevant question is "would you be willing to pay more with the seat next to you empty". And while I'm sure the survey doesn't remotely have a question that states it exactly like that (I haven't gotten a post-flight survey in a while) that question is asked implicitly by what fares/connections are available and whether people continue to book or not.

So regardless of what you or I think, if people are still booking DL in Y and J in whatever numbers they think they need, then we can expect things to continue. If the parade of people claiming to defect away from DL matches reality and is echoed by the larger non-FT flying population, well, I doubt DL will be happy flying planes that are mostly empty with front cabins full of upgraders and nonrevs and then things will change (or they go under).
jdrtravel and Fly_Delta_Jets like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're looking at it as "would you be happier with the seat next to you empty" which of course will always be "yes", as you pointed out. But I don't think that's the releavnt question, I think the relevant question is "would you be willing to pay more with the seat next to you empty". And while I'm sure the survey doesn't remotely have a question that states it exactly like that (I haven't gotten a post-flight survey in a while) that question is asked implicitly by what fares/connections are available and whether people continue to book or not.

So regardless of what you or I think, if people are still booking DL in Y and J in whatever numbers they think they need, then we can expect things to continue. If the parade of people claiming to defect away from DL matches reality and is echoed by the larger non-FT flying population, well, I doubt DL will be happy flying planes that are mostly empty with front cabins full of upgraders and nonrevs and then things will change (or they go under).
I agree, whether or not someone is happier with the seat next to them empty or not is totally irrelevant to the claims Delta is trying to make. But the surveys DL uses don't differentiate these metrics at all. I've received a survey after every Delta flight I've taken so far this year, be Y, C+ or J. They mostly all ask about the same things; how comfortable did you feel flying Delta, how likely you are to recommend Delta, did you feel cared for by Delta, how happy were you with the precautions taken, etc. In general, I'm able to rank most of those items positively, especially when I'm flying in Y. It was only on my most recent DL flight (about a week and a half ago) that the survey had questions regarding service and experience in J. On this survey I probably gave lower rankings than I ever have on any survey in my life.

So yes, the surveys are geared towards people giving positive results outside of a catastrophically horrible experience. Many of the questions are leading and the scales are skewed positive. All the while Delta is going out and dropping $6 billion in three months time. Marketing is earning their salaries though.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I'm also curious what percentage of DL flyers are actually on flights that qualify for meal service? If you're in coach, unless your flying international or one of the 7 or so domestic routes that offered meal service... you're essentially getting the same thing as before, minus soda.
And if you're in FC, other than soda and a slightly more upgraded snack basket, what else are you missing?
I've been a DL Platinum for several years and other than an annual trip in D1 across country, NONE of my flights (in paid F) are ever long enough for meal service. So for me, I'm VERY happy to continue to pay for FC, because it now means the seat next to me will be empty and I'll get essentially the same service as before. If I want some other "vending machine snacks", I'll just bring my own.
With my paid travel all being under 900 miles, I'm very happy with the way Delta is continuing to conduct their business.

That’s a good question (what percentage are on flights that qualify for meal service)? Here’s a datapoint from a PM:

Since COVID, I’ve had 14 flights that “should” have been a meal flight out of 20. That equates to 70%. To me DL service has been mostly an embarrassment. On the few flights that had D1 seats did I see a slight increase in service... but nowhere near regular domestic F.

If I can get a cocktail in crowded airport bar, I should be able to get one in F.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
....its threads like this that give FT a bad name.

Not sure what to say to some of the comments/posters.

Now just doesn't seem like the time to be complaining about in-flight service.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 4:46 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I'm also curious what percentage of DL flyers are actually on flights that qualify for meal service? If you're in coach, unless your flying international or one of the 7 or so domestic routes that offered meal service... you're essentially getting the same thing as before, minus soda.
And if you're in FC, other than soda and a slightly more upgraded snack basket, what else are you missing?
I've been a DL Platinum for several years and other than an annual trip in D1 across country, NONE of my flights (in paid F) are ever long enough for meal service. So for me, I'm VERY happy to continue to pay for FC, because it now means the seat next to me will be empty and I'll get essentially the same service as before. If I want some other "vending machine snacks", I'll just bring my own.
With my paid travel all being under 900 miles, I'm very happy with the way Delta is continuing to conduct their business.
As a Honolulu based flyer to the West Coast/MSP, having meals does help, without worrying about getting something prior. I also do short connecting flights such as PDX-SEA. The opinions you see here are BIASED based on flyer's flying pattern and what each individual deem as important to themselves.
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
One thing I've noticed is that the seat blocking criteria changed in the last couple weeks - we booked flights back in October for later this month, and at the time half the seats in coach were blocked - the outboard aisle seats and two centers on the A330, and the left side aisle and right side window on the E-170. Now only the middle seats are blocked, so if you're a solo traveler in a section of two seats, you might still be next to a stranger. I like the idea of having an open seat next to you, but contrary to Delta's marketing, that isn't a guarantee. Combine that with the lack of cabin service (which other airlines are providing), and you have to wonder about the value equation here.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
....its threads like this that give FT a bad name.

Not sure what to say to some of the comments/posters.

Now just doesn't seem like the time to be complaining about in-flight service.
I see where you're coming from, but I can understand some are tired of seeing COVID used as a blanket excuse for a lack of service where it doesn't really make sense. F/D1 is still being marketed (and priced) as a "premium" product with food and drink service, and it doesn't even benefit from the seat blocking that's offered in coach. I don't think having a difference of opinion gives us a "bad name".
hockeystl, DLdweeb, FLYPWM and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by strickerj
I see where you're coming from, but I can understand some are tired of seeing COVID used as a blanket excuse for a lack of service where it doesn't really make sense. F/D1 is still being marketed (and priced) as a "premium" product with food and drink service, and it doesn't even benefit from the seat blocking that's offered in coach. I don't think having a difference of opinion gives us a "bad name".
Agreed.

I took a couple of F flights to LAS and back the week before last. The outbound LAS - ATL flight service was better than the MSP - LAS inbound leg. But the food offerings were the same. It was the same old grab and go bag with the usual DELTA snacks (Cheez-its and Biscoff cookies), a mini-bottle of water, a napkin and Purell hand sanitizer. Absolutely NOTHING premium about that.

The "fuel boxes" are decent but nothing special and certainly nothing healthy. It would be great if they would offer a healthy wrap or small salad or something HEALTHY! Washed & wrapped apple, banana, grapes or other fruit perhaps? The snack boxes are junk food packed with preservatives that have a longer shelf life than Twinkies! The ladies were generous with the adult beverages though. Thank you to them for that!

Pre-pandemic these flights served full meals. Knowing that food pickings were going to be slim to non-existent I brought my own fruit and premium chocolate snacks. I shouldn't have to do that. There are many ways to offer premium snacks and many prepackaged premium snacks to choose from. Come on DELTA step your game up!
AANYC1981, GagaPilot and strickerj like this.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Nov 20, 2020 at 6:50 pm
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:01 pm
Suspended

I was just thinking. Do the DL lounges offer food to go? I was in the Aeromexico lounge in MEX Wed morning and they offered food for purchase to eat there or take away for the flight. If this is an option for the DL lounge would some take advantage of it providing you had access to the lounge.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sassybritches
I was just thinking. Do the DL lounges offer food to go? I was in the Aeromexico lounge in MEX Wed morning and they offered food for purchase to eat there or take away for the flight. If this is an option for the DL lounge would some take advantage of it providing you had access to the lounge.
Well, LAX certainly does now, hah!

Most of the stuff in the basic SCs is now packaged so you could pretty easily slide what you want into a carry-on and take it on board, just make sure you bring cutlery too.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Well, LAX certainly does now, hah!

Most of the stuff in the basic SCs is now packaged so you could pretty easily slide what you want into a carry-on and take it on board, just make sure you bring cutlery too.
Lol I'm not referring to prepackaged snacks. I ordered some French toast with Nutella which came out to be about $5 usd. They had other breakfast items along with different Mexican plates for lunch and dinner. The prices seemed fair from an American point of view but maybe a little high for Mexican prices. Oh and the French toast was good, cant really mess up on that.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sassybritches
Lol I'm not referring to prepackaged snacks. I ordered some French toast with Nutella which came out to be about $5 usd. They had other breakfast items along with different Mexican plates for lunch and dinner. The prices seemed fair from an American point of view but maybe a little high for Mexican prices. Oh and the French toast was good, cant really mess up on that.
Well, at this point the only SC that seems to have real hot food is JFK T4, everything else amounts to a packaged salad or sandwich at this point. There’s a few other exceptions throughout the network but not much.

As far as bringing that food on board, it would be tough unless you brought your own takeout container.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.