Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
With these new low levels of service Delta must be hemorrhaging customers.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Had a new one yesterday....there was some off-duty non-rev'ing FA on a flight I was on, got on at the last minute and sat in the first row of Y+ (Row 5, which was empty) on an OO CR9.
She seemed like some kind of DWYKIA amongst the FAs as they were fawning all over her and making quite the to-do.
She couldn't seem to wear a mask properly, never covering her nose, and left her mouth out most the time.

Both of the FAs took turns throughout the entire flight coming and sitting in her row with her and gossiping up a storm about this than and the other. I was kind of annoyed, that frankly she should've gone up to the galley to talk shop instead in the first row of Y+ amongst passengers. They were loud and annoying
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Had a new one yesterday....there was some off-duty non-rev'ing FA on a flight I was on, got on at the last minute and sat in the first row of Y+ (Row 5, which was empty) on an OO CR9.
She seemed like some kind of DWYKIA amongst the FAs as they were fawning all over her and making quite the to-do.
She couldn't seem to wear a mask properly, never covering her nose, and left her mouth out most the time.

Both of the FAs took turns throughout the entire flight coming and sitting in her row with her and gossiping up a storm about this than and the other. I was kind of annoyed, that frankly she should've gone up to the galley to talk shop instead in the first row of Y+ amongst passengers. They were loud and annoying
I say: write THEM up!
Spiff, SFO777, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:42 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Talking

Wait, isn't this part of the COVID in flight expectations with Delta? Less tasks to do, and more time to talk to keep their employees happy? When employees don't have much else to do, talking to each other is normal and expected. Its part of the premium Delta service you have purchased with the empty seat and lack of service. You get to hear more talking. So you rather have row 2 or the poor soul sitting in the lavatory annoyed by their gossip?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:22 pm

Right on par for OO Found out yesterday my neighbor is a pilot for OO and we had a long talk (from a safe distance) about OO. His opinion of OO FA's is even lower than mine. I miss CP - they might not have been the smartest, but at least they cared and tried hard.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by The Situation
Right on par for OO Found out yesterday my neighbor is a pilot for OO and we had a long talk (from a safe distance) about OO. His opinion of OO FA's is even lower than mine. I miss CP - they might not have been the smartest, but at least they cared and tried hard.
I always had good experiences with Compass both on AA/Eagle and Delta/Connex. Honestly would have rather seen OO fold and have those assets merged into Compass.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:29 pm

Just got the fluff email from EB. It mentioned "some of you have also shared that you're eager for more food and beverage service on board, and we're determining what can be safely added next year." Translation: Nothing this year (as expected) and only cheap garbage next year. I am not expecting meal service until 2022 and that is seriously making me consider which airline I want to status match to.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by The Situation
"some of you have also shared that you're eager for more food and beverage service on board and we're determining what can be safely added next year."
"...We're determining what can be safely added..." ROTFLMAO
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by enviroian
With these new low levels of service Delta must be hemorrhaging customers.
No. People prefer having space.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer0889
Update - on transoceanic flights with PS, the service in premium select is now the same as the modified International main cabin service. Ill try to update the wiki with all the changes when I catch some free time!
Curious if anyone has flown international PS recently and can confirm whether the service/meal in PS is indeed the same as in the main cabin. (Quoted post is from May.) DL's website regarding COVID service changes says that PS passengers receive an "entre, along with salad, bread, and dessert" whereas main cabin passengers receive an "entre, along with dessert," but I would be surprised if main cabin passengers didn't also receive salad and bread with their entres.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
"...We're determining what can be safely added..." ROTFLMAO
More like were determining what can safely fit into our budget...

Originally Posted by TXguy
No. People prefer having space.
Of course they do. If a year ago you told me I could buy a Y seat and have the middle open for the same price as having the whole row filled I would of course take that offer every time. Who wouldnt?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:30 pm

Since the beginning of the pandemic, the edict from the highest levels of Delta was: own this with safety and cleanliness.

The present spartan in-flight service is an outgrowth of that edict. It is predicated on the input, call it heavy-handed if you want, of the Mayo Clinic and the CDC. And despite our complaints here, mine included, the decision to strictly focus on safety & clean and subsequently reduced service standards -- has worked gloriously for Delta. The net promoter scores are through the roof.

The decision to offer close to nothing in-flight domestically was not a cost issue. I used to think it was. I've heard enough now from a few folks in the know that it's strictly adherence to the Mayo and CDC. It's based on limited interaction between crew and passengers and touch points.

A few weeks ago the plan was to introduce an improved in-flight service in/around March 1. This may have changed recently given the pandemic burst; don't know. The new service will not include ice. The Mayo/CDC have struck the fear of God in Delta about ice. Any improved service will continue to come from pre-packaged, self-contained items. Delta was sourcing smaller, 8-ounce like sealed beverages. Not sure if that came to fruition or not. But minis and can's and cups of ice are not coming any time soon. Food is expected to more closely resemble SkyClub offerings - pre-wrapped, able to remain safely chilled from a block of ice.

Delta is hearing from more and more of you complaining about the lack of service. And that's also true of flight attendants. More of them are complaining to their in-flight supervisors of having nothing to do. This momentum is why Ed finally came to mention it today in his update letter.

As for why there's not the same standard on International? I can't answer that. I didn't get a response as to why the standards appear more lax on longer, intercontinental flights. I suppose that leaves the door open to the conspiracists who believe the PeoplExpress-like service is strictly money. But, again, I don't believe that. It is Delta sticking close to their game plan from the days of April to win with safe and clean. And their revenue results and scores reflect it is working.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by n7371f
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the edict from the highest levels of Delta was: own this with safety and cleanliness.

The present spartan in-flight service is an outgrowth of that edict. It is predicated on the input, call it heavy-handed if you want, of the Mayo Clinic and the CDC. And despite our complaints here, mine included, the decision to strictly focus on safety & clean and subsequently reduced service standards -- has worked gloriously for Delta. The net promoter scores are through the roof.

The decision to offer close to nothing in-flight domestically was not a cost issue. I used to think it was. I've heard enough now from a few folks in the know that it's strictly adherence to the Mayo and CDC. It's based on limited interaction between crew and passengers and touch points.

A few weeks ago the plan was to introduce an improved in-flight service in/around March 1. This may have changed recently given the pandemic burst; don't know. The new service will not include ice. The Mayo/CDC have struck the fear of God in Delta about ice. Any improved service will continue to come from pre-packaged, self-contained items. Delta was sourcing smaller, 8-ounce like sealed beverages. Not sure if that came to fruition or not. But minis and can's and cups of ice are not coming any time soon. Food is expected to more closely resemble SkyClub offerings - pre-wrapped, able to remain safely chilled from a block of ice.

Delta is hearing from more and more of you complaining about the lack of service. And that's also true of flight attendants. More of them are complaining to their in-flight supervisors of having nothing to do. This momentum is why Ed finally came to mention it today in his update letter.

As for why there's not the same standard on International? I can't answer that. I didn't get a response as to why the standards appear more lax on longer, intercontinental flights. I suppose that leaves the door open to the conspiracists who believe the PeoplExpress-like service is strictly money. But, again, I don't believe that. It is Delta sticking close to their game plan from the days of April to win with safe and clean. And their revenue results and scores reflect it is working.
The question is do those scores reflect a breakdown between premium and economy passengers? Any economy passenger is going to be absolutely ecstatic. Premium passengers not so much. I wonder how well DL is doing on their goal of selling instead of upgrading F seats.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:02 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...r/faq-20485479

Except Mayo Clinic is saying there are no known cases due to food containers as a contact point cause of spread. CDC says very low risk with food, and not a zero chance. Delta puts people more at risk by not blocking truly 6 feet of space apart, yet this is okay. When comparing distance to food, distance wins hands down as the higher relative risk/odds ratio.

People on this board are astute, not sheep. You answered your own question, why have one set of standards for international flight versus domestic for in flight services when safety is at risk. Why put international travelers at greater risk when touch points are the main issue? There is no half pregnant, and Delta is promoting a half pregnant marketing scheme that people are seeing through.
BamaGirl, hurnik, cmd320 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:31 pm

You've pretty much countered what the people in the know are telling you below.

As for why there's not the same standard on International? I can't answer that. I didn't get a response as to why the standards appear more lax on longer, intercontinental flights.
^^

If this was the standard throughout every flight like what BA or Turkish did, I would believe DL was telling the truth. What is even more ironic is they released a video on fb in partnership with Mayo Clinic, showing the flight attendant serving FC passengers with gloves on (meal and drinks). So someone at Delta or Mayo Clinic are hypocrites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.