Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 7:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I just cancelled a domestic itn. Two issues were involved: getting 2 RUCs redeposited and getting value of the ticket credited to CC. [If it were just ticket I could have cancelled on line.] I received an email from DL "refund request--this is not a refund". The agent noted 6-8 weeks to see refund on CC.
The email shows $0.0 "unable to calculate the amount."
Old May 25, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I have/had a trip to NBO planned in July. For a while, I've known that was not gonna happen. I was waiting for DL to cancel the flight to get a refund instead of eCredit.

I see this message today:

There has been a flight cancellation affecting your trip and we haven't been able to find you another flight. We apologize for this inconvenience. To cancel your ticket and receive an eCredit towards future travel, click 'Modify Flight' then 'Start Flight Cancellation.' Your ticket number becomes an eCredit that can be used to rebook future travel

I hit the modify flight and clicked around but it had only eCredit option. My question is, can I get a refund? If so, how?

PS: Given LAX/SBA is my primary airport, I don't fly DL often and I have to go out of my way to use the eCredit. So, I'd rather get a refund.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Many of the credits either do not display online, or display incorrectly. I have had a a mixture of both. My most recent experience is the international tickets show no balance online, but DL agents can find them when you call.
I just got eCredit issued by a Twitter agent for a voluntary cancelation per COVID waiver rules. The ticket had been paid for partially with a credit card and partially with a gift certificate/card.

The eCredit doesn't show correctly in My Wallet. Has no value, shows a different expiration date than I was told, and the issue date appears to be the date of the gift card (!?) in 2018. Tried to use it in a dummy online booking and it didn't work.

The Twitter agent said it was a limitation of delta.com and I would have to call to use it. Presumably they will waive phone agent fees for that?
Old May 25, 2020, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by daKav
I have/had a trip to NBO planned in July. For a while, I've known that was not gonna happen. I was waiting for DL to cancel the flight to get a refund instead of eCredit.

There has been a flight cancellation affecting your trip and we haven't been able to find you another flight. We apologize for this inconvenience. To cancel your ticket and receive an eCredit towards future travel, click 'Modify Flight' then 'Start Flight Cancellation.' Your ticket number becomes an eCredit that can be used to rebook future travel

I hit the modify flight and clicked around but it had only eCredit option. My question is, can I get a refund? If so, how?

PS: Given LAX/SBA is my primary airport, I don't fly DL often and I have to go out of my way to use the eCredit. So, I'd rather get a refund.
Is this flight with Delta or KLM?

I think you need to call/twitter them for a full refund.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Is this flight with Delta or KLM?

I think you need to call/twitter them for a full refund.
The canceled leg, LAX-CDG was on DL.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by daKav

Yes, you can get a complete refund. Unlike other airlines, as long as Delta Eventually cancels your flight, you will get a refund. You don’t need to hold on to the reservation until they cancel. United and SAS are not doing that.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I just got eCredit issued by a Twitter agent for a voluntary cancelation per COVID waiver rules. The ticket had been paid for partially with a credit card and partially with a gift certificate/card.

The eCredit doesn't show correctly in My Wallet. Has no value, shows a different expiration date than I was told, and the issue date appears to be the date of the gift card (!?) in 2018. Tried to use it in a dummy online booking and it didn't work.

The Twitter agent said it was a limitation of delta.com and I would have to call to use it. Presumably they will waive phone agent fees for that?
Yes, my understanding (from a supervisor at Delta Reservations) is that many eCredits are not displaying correctly online - incorrect or missing value, incorrect expiration dates, etc. When the time comes you wish to book something, call Delta and they will honor the eCredit for the full value. There will be no phone booking fee or surcharge. Just make sure to keep track of the e-ticket or eCredit number so they can look it up. One thing you can do, when the phone lines wait time settles down, is you can call and have an agent look at the Credit and make sure what they see is correct. I have done that and it gives me assurance that I can disregard the incorrect info on the website and trust when the time comes the credit will be able to be used without issue. I do agree it is frustrating the website will not allow many of them to be used. So far I have dealt with 4 credits... 2 were correct and could be redeemed online (have already used them) and 2 are incorrect requiring a call-in when I wish to use them.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Cash refund?

Is DL making any cash refunds on flts that have had big (~4 hours) schedule changes or only credit toward a future flt? Flt booked in late Feb. for travel next month.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Is DL making any cash refunds on flts that have had big (~4 hours) schedule changes or only credit toward a future flt? Flt booked in late Feb. for travel next month.
Yes, I have had multiple cash refunds (well, back to my AMEX) on schedule changes greater than 90 minutes. No hassle at all by the agents to take a credit. I have done a mixture of both refunds and credits throughout this whole thing. Some credits display properly while others do not. Some refunds that are processed manually (for straightforward tickets purchased by CC) are posted in just 3 or 4 days. For tickets that are more complicated or are purchased with instruments, those are going to a refund que and takes a month or longer.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Yes, I have had multiple cash refunds (well, back to my AMEX) on schedule changes greater than 90 minutes. No hassle at all by the agents to take a credit. I have done a mixture of both refunds and credits throughout this whole thing. Some credits display properly while others do not. Some refunds that are processed manually (for straightforward tickets purchased by CC) are posted in just 3 or 4 days. For tickets that are more complicated or are purchased with instruments, those are going to a refund que and takes a month or longer.
Good to know. This flt was purchased thru Expedia. Originally a non stop and now a one connection flt.
I've sent a tweet but still waiting for a reply. Would calling be quicker?
Old May 25, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I have a few e-credits from before COVID-19 that expire between July and November 2020 (ostensibly from flights purchased a year before) -- am I right that Delta isn't extending any of these?
Old May 25, 2020, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Good to know. This flt was purchased thru Expedia. Originally a non stop and now a one connection flt.
I've sent a tweet but still waiting for a reply. Would calling be quicker?
Not sure the exact process for something purchased through Expedia, but I would imagine a call would be best. Tweets seem to be getting lost or handled poorly by all of the multi-tasking required by the agents currently. Even as a Platinum with Delta my last few calls have taken probably 2-4 hours between callback times and waiting for an agent to answer. Once connected it seems to be going fast and smooth. And I just checked my AMEX app and a DL ticket I cancelled 2 days ago for a refund has already posted.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by SunChips
I have a few e-credits from before COVID-19 that expire between July and November 2020 (ostensibly from flights purchased a year before) -- am I right that Delta isn't extending any of these?
My understanding is these are not included in the waiver.

I believe it is only for tickets purchased from March onward or for travel scheduled to occur from March onward through this September.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My award ticket for this July/August to LHR has been partially canceled (appears DL 1 has been canceled on the day in question). The actual ticket was purchased during an LHR fare sale and I hate to see it go to waste (21k for JFK - LHR // LHR - BOS - RDU). Can I have them reschedule for next summer at the original 21k/person rate given the cancellation or will they deny that request? If the answer is likely to be yes, I'll wait a few more weeks to change so it can be swapped to next summer. If the answer is no, I'll go ahead and just cancel out and get my miles back.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
My award ticket for this July/August to LHR has been partially canceled (appears DL 1 has been canceled on the day in question). The actual ticket was purchased during an LHR fare sale and I hate to see it go to waste (21k for JFK - LHR // LHR - BOS - RDU). Can I have them reschedule for next summer at the original 21k/person rate given the cancellation or will they deny that request? If the answer is likely to be yes, I'll wait a few more weeks to change so it can be swapped to next summer. If the answer is no, I'll go ahead and just cancel out and get my miles back.
If they apply the rules listed on the website, you can move your departure out to 30 September of this year without paying a fare difference. That seems to mostly refer to paid tickets, but it doesn't specifically say that. You could also make a change without a change fee, but as a PM on an award booking that doesn't matter since you get free re-deposit.

Now, these rules technically refer to voluntary changes and yours is involuntary since your flight was cancelled. Depending on the agent, you might also get some freedom in making changes as a PM that wouldn't be afforded to general members. Unless you really need the 21k miles for something else, I'd probably until you're in the booking window for when you want to travel and see what happens. By the way, 21k for round-trip TATL is amazing. Nice find!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.