Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Coronavirus: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/E-Credit/Changes to tickets-Consolidated

Delta Coronavirus: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/E-Credit/Changes to tickets-Consolidated

Hide Wikipost
Old May 23, 20, 5:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tearex
Wiki Link
Delta: Can I Cancel/Change My Flight?

Some important info about award tickets is buried on the Coronavirus Travel Updates overview page: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ravel/overview

Click to expand FAQs at the bottom, item 10:

10. What if I paid for my original trip with miles?

The same rules apply whether a flight is booked with cash or miles. For award flights that qualify for a change fee waiver, we are also waiving the mile redeposit fee.
i.e. if the same ticket would be eligible for a change fee waiver if it were a cash ticket, then it is eligible for a waived redeposit fee as an award ticket.

Refund Status Checker: https://www.delta.com/refunds/checkR...sAction.action

Print Wikipost

Old May 22, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive, IHG Gold
Delta is obviously way over their head here if they are still currently processing refund requests from the last week of March. Itís now approaching the last week of May.

I absolutely hate doing credit card chargebacks but Iím getting to the point where Iím not going to sit here and wait another 60 days in hopes that they finally process my refund request.

Has anyone else done a credit card chargeback yet? I assume the worst that happens is that AMEX would credit me and then the refund could eventually come through from Delta and then they would charge me again to get their money back?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old May 22, 20, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly View Post
Delta is obviously way over their head here if they are still currently processing refund requests from the last week of March. Itís now approaching the last week of May.

I absolutely hate doing credit card chargebacks but Iím getting to the point where Iím not going to sit here and wait another 60 days in hopes that they finally process my refund request.

Has anyone else done a credit card chargeback yet? I assume the worst that happens is that AMEX would credit me and then the refund could eventually come through from Delta and then they would charge me again to get their money back?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I know you are anxious. I have been very anxious and impatient, too. However, Delta, in my experience and observation, has been doing a phenomenal job issuing refunds to passengers. They do issue refunds to passengers, it just takes them a bit of time to go through hundreds of thousands of requests.
Old May 22, 20, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM

Thoughts? Suggestions?
When mine took too long, I just called in and the agent manually intervened and refunded it (three tickets for the same trip, on two different records). My guess though is it will all depend on the agent you get. I'd suggest you call in a few more times before going the chargeback route.
Old May 22, 20, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
If I have no plans for a later trip, I would just go ahead and get a refund. But if I was thinking of a trip in a few months I would look at working a deal.
How would I go about doing this? I've been to Sydney 7x and luckily never had to cancel or reschedule a flight so I'm a bit lost. It's also the first time I've booked DL domestic and VA LAX-SYD but all on one ticket.
I will be going back to Sydney, I'm just not sure when they'll be open to visitors from the US. So if I call them I could maybe say instead of cancelling I'd rather a ticket for next June or July? Wouldn't I owe any fare difference?

Im also worried that my flight is going to be one they don't cancel so that Aussies can get home. I'm not an Aussie so if it doesn't get cancelled then I'm out of luck at the borders.

My flights, in case it's helpful:
June 28, 2020
DL4878 AVP-DTW> DL725 DTW-LAX> DL6798 (VA) LAX-SYD
The return follows same route in reverse on different flight #s on July 29th.
Old May 22, 20, 8:40 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by HeatherDsyd View Post
How would I go about doing this? I've been to Sydney 7x and luckily never had to cancel or reschedule a flight so I'm a bit lost. It's also the first time I've booked DL domestic and VA LAX-SYD but all on one ticket.
I will be going back to Sydney, I'm just not sure when they'll be open to visitors from the US. So if I call them I could maybe say instead of cancelling I'd rather a ticket for next June or July? Wouldn't I owe any fare difference?

Im also worried that my flight is going to be one they don't cancel so that Aussies can get home. I'm not an Aussie so if it doesn't get cancelled then I'm out of luck at the borders.

My flights, in case it's helpful:
June 28, 2020
DL4878 AVP-DTW> DL725 DTW-LAX> DL6798 (VA) LAX-SYD
The return follows same route in reverse on different flight #s on July 29th.
Why don't you just request a refund for the schedule change as drminn​​​​​​​ suggested? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32390264-post1197.html
Old May 22, 20, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75k, DL DM, UA 1k, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smartytravel View Post
However, Delta, in my experience and observation, has been doing a phenomenal job issuing refunds to passengers. They do issue refunds to passengers, it just takes them a bit of time to go through hundreds of thousands of requests.
That is a pure load of unadulterated bunk. Everything I have experienced supports the exact opposite. "Bit of time" my ....
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Yesterday, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta PM , Delta Amex Reserve, Delta Amex Plat
? about e-credits

I cancelled a flight and Delta sent email stating that an e-credit was posted to my wallet. It states " OOPS- unable to determine the value of the e-ticket at this time. Please call Reservations when ready to make your next flight.This has shown up for the last two months . Anyone else has this problem?
Old Yesterday, 8:48 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Yes. When I called for a new reservation, amount of ecredit was what I thought it would be.
Old Yesterday, 9:34 am

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Refund credited today from April 5. So they apparently are into April. 48 days.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by t00thpix View Post
I cancelled a flight and Delta sent email stating that an e-credit was posted to my wallet. It states " OOPS- unable to determine the value of the e-ticket at this time. Please call Reservations when ready to make your next flight.This has shown up for the last two months . Anyone else has this problem?
This sounds like either an unpublished fare or a partially flown ticket. Do you know what the ecredit should be?
Old Yesterday, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This sounds like either an unpublished fare or a partially flown ticket. Do you know what the ecredit should be?
Not necessarily, I had a completely ordinary, DL-booked flight that I cancelled without flying any segments and it also got the Oops message when looking at it in My Wallet. It did go through several rounds of schedule change, so the determining factor may be whether it's been reissued.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
This is also related to the huge volume of e-credits Delta are dealing with. The agent I worked with told me to keep a record of the original ticket, specifically the ticket number. She said it was currently not possible to track all the e-credit values automatically in Delta.com but if you spoke to an agent they could call it up without any problems, and it was a confidence measure (for you) to have a record of the ticket number and original value.
Old Yesterday, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo View Post
That is a pure load of unadulterated bunk. Everything I have experienced supports the exact opposite. "Bit of time" my ....
Have you tried getting a refund from KLM or Lufthansa? They decided to adopt "new" policies that are contrary to the regulations and their own contracts of carriage, and simply do not refund.

When passengers do chargebacks, they fight those too.

Delta did not make any problems for me. Super civilized and smooth.
Old Yesterday, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thankfully I have not had to do a chargeback with Delta. All refunds owed from Delta have been received so far. However, I did have to do a chargeback with AMEX for a TicketMaster charge.

The short version is this: The quoted refund time came and went for my TicketMaster purchase ($630). After giving an additional week, and no success in getting in contact with anyone at TicketMaster, I initiated the dispute with AMEX. They immediately issued me a credit for the full amount ($630). A little over a week later TicketMaster ended up refunding. I closed the dispute online and even called AMEX to confirm the closure and have them reverse the credit. That was about 6 weeks ago and to date AMEX still has the $630 credit on my account. So I am essentially ďdouble creditedĒ at this time. Itís better than being ďdouble chargedĒ but still frustrating as I know at some point that $630 will be re-billed to my account.

As others suggested, it might be worth a call to see if the refund can be manually pushed through. The last few refunds I have done with Delta they manually processed them without me asking (unlike in the beginning of the virus issue). I have a callback in to Delta today to cancel one trip for a credit, the other for a refund. Hopefully the refund is manually processed like the others have been.
Old Yesterday, 4:47 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au, Accor
Gaga, I booked a ticket with my BA Avios on March 5 to fly AA to Aruba on March 25. Aruba was llocked down on March 17, and my flight was cancelled by AA soon after. I phoned BA on March 26 to request a refund. I got my miles back, but never my $15.60 taxes. I was later told of a 21-day delay, so at the end of April I disputed the charge with Chase Visa, who refunded it immediately without investigation ! And they even let me keep the 31 UR points !
GagaPilot likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: