Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 10:51 am

I was wondering if someone could tell me if I purchase a seat upgrade on a flight and the flight is canceled by Delta will I get the upgrade cost back? I know that some agents are more willing to do such refunds when they are non-refundable but I was wondering if there was something in writing that detailed yes or no as ATl-JNB is listed at 999 for D1 and id do it if I knew if I would get my money back if the flight didn't actually happen.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:54 am
Suspended

Wanted to change my flight online and system says cannot be done:
"Oh no! We're sorry, but we are unable to process this request online. Please contact Delta Reservations at 1-800-221-1212 for assistance. For non-U.S. based customers, please call Delta Reservations for your country. #600104R"
Old May 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Originally Posted by Steven Citrin
I was wondering if someone could tell me if I purchase a seat upgrade on a flight and the flight is canceled by Delta will I get the upgrade cost back? I know that some agents are more willing to do such refunds when they are non-refundable but I was wondering if there was something in writing that detailed yes or no as ATl-JNB is listed at 999 for D1 and id do it if I knew if I would get my money back if the flight didn't actually happen.
Steven,
I recently received my SkyMiles, associated taxes/fees and FCM out of pocket costs all reimbursed by Delta after they cancelled our mid-June TATL flight. I waited until a schedule change Saturday, saw the update/deleted/cancelled flight Sunday morning and called the medallion hotline Sunday afternoon. They called back (after a several hour wait, of course), walked through the entire process - which admittedly did take a while, and I got my miles that afternoon, and money back in my cc account within 4-5 days. (AmEx wasn't shy about clawing back their MR for those FCM reimbursements...they took those back almost to the minute the funds were deposited back in my account!)
I strongly recommend talking to a CS line, and not filling out a form on the Delta website, given other readers issues getting their refunds.
As always, YMMV. All one can do is try...we all wish you well!
Old May 21, 2020, 12:36 pm

Flexible booking policy question

I apologize if this is already answered somewhere on this thread but I tried scouring all 70+ pages and didn't see an answer. So, here's the question:

If I buy a ticket now and end up cancelling and using the value of the cancelled ticket for a lower priced ticket, will I get the balance in an e-voucher? The situation is that I am considering purchasing a J class ticket to Europe. If I'm unable to make that trip, I would likely end up using the value for something much less costly like an economy ticket in the US.

The Delta website seems unclear on this point for tickets issued after April 17. I talks about collecting additional fare if the ticket is more expensive but doesn't really say anything about what happens when the new fare is cheaper. There is more general language at the top of the page that talks about issuing an e-credit for the difference but, again, it's not clear to me whether that applies to a post-April 17 ticket.

Thanks everyone!

Brooklynflyer
Old May 21, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have a domestic Delta flight scheduled for next week, booked in April, that I don't want to fly anymore (as far as I can tell, the flight is still scheduled to operate as booked).

I submitted a cancellation request some 10 days ago via the website (per instructions on https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...e-requirements) and indicated that I was okay with receiving eCredit. The website told me it required manual processing and that they will make every effort to process eligible credits and refunds within 7 days.

The status checker page linked in the wiki shows a status of PENDING.

Glancing through the thread, I see that it was reported recently that Delta is currently processing refund requests from end of March. Do they take flight departure dates into consideration, or do they simply go in FIFO order for refund requests? What's going to happen next week if they haven't processed my refund request and I no-show for the flight? I have no desire to add to their workload by calling in if that's avoidable.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steven Citrin
I cancelled a ticket where I had paid for a seat upgrade after a significant schedule change. I took a voucher for the fare but they refunded the upgrade payment directly to my credit card in about 3 days. By comparison, I've been waiting 47 days for a refund on flight that was cancelled.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
I apologize if this is already answered somewhere on this thread but I tried scouring all 70+ pages and didn't see an answer. So, here's the question:

I'm simply trying to cancel a one way reservation for my wife and me, departing from Montreal on 6 June. It was a return home from a cruise that was cancelled. I'm happy to take the future credit rather than a refund. I've been trying to cancel using the Delta web site and all I get is that damned message that "oh no! We're sorry...try again later." I've been trying and trying later, and I'm getting nowhere. I don't have Twitter so please don't suggest that. Any other ideas, other than just waiting and letting the reservation expire? They have already changed the reservation to a connection that departs for home two hours before I even get to ATL from DTW, so the reservation is completely useless even if I wanted to use it.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have a domestic Delta flight scheduled for next week, booked in April, that I don't want to fly anymore (as far as I can tell.

Glancing through the thread, I see that it was reported recently that Delta is currently processing refund requests from end of March. Do they take flight departure dates into consideration, or do they simply go in FIFO order for refund requests? What's going to happen next week if they haven't processed my refund request and I no-show for the flight? I have no desire to add to their workload by calling in if that's avoidable.
Delta canceled my flight to Europe on April 15. On April 17 I get a message from DL that said I would get a refund within 21 days. I called the Platinum line today because a refund has yet to appear and was asked to leave my number for a call back in 50 minutes. They did call back but the agent said they were now processing refund requests in 40-50 days. She said I had to call 1-800-847-0578 for the refund desk. They have a recording that said they are indeed working on processing refunds from the last week in March. But then it asked for my FF number so I thought I might get connected faster. I am now on hold for 40 minutes. I’m about to hang up. For your info they are open during normal business hours until 8;00 pm EST.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
I don't have Twitter so please don't suggest that. Any other ideas, other than just waiting and letting the reservation expire? They have already changed the reservation to a connection that departs for home two hours before I even get to ATL from DTW, so the reservation is completely useless even if I wanted to use it.
Well, it takes very little effort to create a Twitter account. You can purely use it for direct messages (DMs) with companies like Delta that provide customer support via that channel (no one forces you to be on Twitter actively). It worked very well for me back in a March. Right now it appears to be backlogged like all channels, but at least it is an asynchronous channel...

Have you tried calling? Appears there is a way to request a call back (no personal experience with that), which might be preferable to holding for a long time.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by ”letting it expire”, but I would not just “no show” without having documented your desire to cancel for a refund/credit. A Twitter direct message might suffice.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy

I'm simply trying to cancel a one way reservation for my wife and me, departing from Montreal on 6 June. It was a return home from a cruise that was cancelled. I'm happy to take the future credit rather than a refund. I've been trying to cancel using the Delta web site and all I get is that damned message that "oh no! We're sorry...try again later." I've been trying and trying later, and I'm getting nowhere. I don't have Twitter so please don't suggest that. Any other ideas, other than just waiting and letting the reservation expire? They have already changed the reservation to a connection that departs for home two hours before I even get to ATL from DTW, so the reservation is completely useless even if I wanted to use it.
If you have an iPhone, open the FlyDelta app, click the ...More button in the bottom right, and scroll all the way down. There should be a link for Message Us which will open iMessage in order to text them. I have no idea if Android has something similar.

Unsolicited opinion: it's worth making a Twitter account just for messaging travel companies. Looking through my Direct Message history, I've requested information (e.g., partner PNR), made changes to bookings, assigned seats, or requested refunds from AA, UA, DL, VA, KLM, Hilton, and Hyatt.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
If you have an iPhone, open the FlyDelta app, click the ...More button in the bottom right, and scroll all the way down. There should be a link for Message Us which will open iMessage in order to text them. I have no idea if Android has something similar.

Unsolicited opinion: it's worth making a Twitter account just for messaging travel companies. Looking through my Direct Message history, I've requested information (e.g., partner PNR), made changes to bookings, assigned seats, or requested refunds from AA, UA, DL, VA, KLM, Hilton, and Hyatt.
I checked my Android app; there is a messaging option in the menu that starts a “conversation” in the Android Messaging app (SMS).

Under “Contact Us” they explicitly list Twitter @Delta as an option, so that’s what I go with (seconding your unsolicited opinion).
mattp1987 likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Delta is obviously way over their head here if they are still currently processing refund requests from the last week of March. It’s now approaching the last week of May.

I absolutely hate doing credit card chargebacks but I’m getting to the point where I’m not going to sit here and wait another 60 days in hopes that they finally process my refund request.

Has anyone else done a credit card chargeback yet? I assume the worst that happens is that AMEX would credit me and then the refund could eventually come through from Delta and then they would charge me again to get their money back?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old May 22, 2020, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Delta is obviously way over their head here if they are still currently processing refund requests from the last week of March. It’s now approaching the last week of May.

I absolutely hate doing credit card chargebacks but I’m getting to the point where I’m not going to sit here and wait another 60 days in hopes that they finally process my refund request.

Has anyone else done a credit card chargeback yet? I assume the worst that happens is that AMEX would credit me and then the refund could eventually come through from Delta and then they would charge me again to get their money back?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I know you are anxious. I have been very anxious and impatient, too. However, Delta, in my experience and observation, has been doing a phenomenal job issuing refunds to passengers. They do issue refunds to passengers, it just takes them a bit of time to go through hundreds of thousands of requests.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

Thoughts? Suggestions?
When mine took too long, I just called in and the agent manually intervened and refunded it (three tickets for the same trip, on two different records). My guess though is it will all depend on the agent you get. I'd suggest you call in a few more times before going the chargeback route.
Old May 22, 2020, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe
If I have no plans for a later trip, I would just go ahead and get a refund. But if I was thinking of a trip in a few months I would look at working a deal.
How would I go about doing this? I've been to Sydney 7x and luckily never had to cancel or reschedule a flight so I'm a bit lost. It's also the first time I've booked DL domestic and VA LAX-SYD but all on one ticket.
I will be going back to Sydney, I'm just not sure when they'll be open to visitors from the US. So if I call them I could maybe say instead of cancelling I'd rather a ticket for next June or July? Wouldn't I owe any fare difference?

Im also worried that my flight is going to be one they don't cancel so that Aussies can get home. I'm not an Aussie so if it doesn't get cancelled then I'm out of luck at the borders.

My flights, in case it's helpful:
June 28, 2020
DL4878 AVP-DTW> DL725 DTW-LAX> DL6798 (VA) LAX-SYD
The return follows same route in reverse on different flight #s on July 29th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.