Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikebor
That number right now is the best option. It usually takes 10 minutes of hold time and then an agent answers. I don't know what it is or what the purpose is, but it gets you an agent in 10 minutes basically every time. HOWEVER, the bad part is these agents are usually brand new and they will make mistakes or not know how to do basic things sometimes like cancel a ticket properly or uncheck you from a flight. Just fyi.
FWIW I just looked at my call log and I was on hold on that line for 25 minutes this morning before I had to hang up.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mikebor
That number right now is the best option. It usually takes 10 minutes of hold time and then an agent answers. I don't know what it is or what the purpose is, but it gets you an agent in 10 minutes basically every time. HOWEVER, the bad part is these agents are usually brand new and they will make mistakes or not know how to do basic things sometimes like cancel a ticket properly or uncheck you from a flight. Just fyi.
I will second the observation that while the agents on the "Need Help" line answer somewhat faster, they are very green and inexperienced. It makes me nervous that I had to explain to them why my reservation needs to match the underlying ticket. Use with great caution.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seems that DL still hasn't resolved the chronic shortage of phone agents. Are they just hoping we'll accept multi-hour waits in the event of any irops event to be normal and not an issue?

Had to call multiple times a few days ago due to the holiday crew shortage meltdown. Shortest time as a DM was 35 min on new years eve afternoon - then it went up from there to 90 min+ the next day. One time I was quoted 45 min for callback, and did not receive a call until over twice that.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
12 minutes right now. Quite reasonable considering the weather in much of the country.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:40 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Seems that DL still hasn't resolved the chronic shortage of phone agents. Are they just hoping we'll accept multi-hour waits in the event of any irops event to be normal and not an issue?

Had to call multiple times a few days ago due to the holiday crew shortage meltdown. Shortest time as a DM was 35 min on new years eve afternoon - then it went up from there to 90 min+ the next day. One time I was quoted 45 min for callback, and did not receive a call until over twice that.
I disagree that its a pure agent problem. I look at the issue as more about how they have decided to tune their call center software / process to how members are prioritized. They could prioritize Diamonds at the expense of everyone else. They could also tune their software to prioritize all medallions at the expense of general members. At the core of these decisions, is the shortage of agents that drive the problem.

I guess I am just mostly upset that they find it acceptable to have any hold time for top tier medallions. I really want to know if 360 Diamonds are also having to wait this long.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This is an unrealistic ask, but I really wish there were a way to self-sort based on urgency. I am perfectly happy to get a callback 6 hours later if all I need to do is apply an upgrade certificate or book a complicated ticket. I think of it like throwing a meeting on my calendar. But if I'm experiencing IRROPS, I need that agent right now, and I always feel ridiculous tying up the same queue to apply a cert.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They must have all their IT resources on a new phone/chat system.
Would you like to be connected with an agent immediately?
Yes
That'll be $50 charge, $10 for 360, $20 for Diamond, $30 for Platinum, $40 for Gold. Please input your credit card number.
Adding my credit card number
You are next to be connected, do you want to get a supervisor right away?
Yes.
That'll be another $50 charge, $10 for 360, $20 for Diamond, $30 for Platinum, $40 for Gold. Please input your credit card number.
Adding my credit card number.
Then they hang up / the chat ends.#*&$(*&@
mikebor and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
In other news, I don't know whether it takes status into account or what, but my friend (GM) and I are both (normal) trying to make a modification for his listing.

So far we're at 90 minutes for the need help line on his phone and an hour on mine for the other number ending in 9154.

To anyone potentially in the LAX Admirals Club right now, my apologies for having to hear both of our calls in stereo.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I disagree that its a pure agent problem. I look at the issue as more about how they have decided to tune their call center software / process to how members are prioritized. They could prioritize Diamonds at the expense of everyone else. They could also tune their software to prioritize all medallions at the expense of general members. At the core of these decisions, is the shortage of agents that drive the problem.

I guess I am just mostly upset that they find it acceptable to have any hold time for top tier medallions. I really want to know if 360 Diamonds are also having to wait this long.
They should have just left their phone system alone and not have done anything. We are still in a pandemic. You mean to tell me that is a good time to totally revamp your phone system and make things a lot worse? Just pure incompetence by Delta mgmt but not surprising.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:20 am

PSA: This thread is now 137 pages long, and 21 months old. Delta still refuses to address this core, fundamental issue.

And it's the easiest part of the airline to fix. You can answer the phone from home. You can answer the phone even when "quarantined". There is simply no excuse for this pathetic failure.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Pleased to report that I called in earlier to apply an RUC and it didn’t say anything about a callback or hold time and started playing hold music but then 10 seconds later someone picked up, very easy call today!
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Pleased to report that I called in earlier to apply an RUC and it didn’t say anything about a callback or hold time and started playing hold music but then 10 seconds later someone picked up, very easy call today!
This the exact opposite of my experience today, haha. They are obviously still in the processing of training new reps, and are doing it on real calls (I guess that's probably their only option, but I would envision some mock call center they should be in for a while...).

Called to apply an RUC on a flight I booked today. First time I call, Quoted 22 minute call back time. Okay, not bad. Was slightly longer but that's not a big deal. When I get called back, not greeted as a DM. I don't care that I wasn't recognized as a DM, but based on how the call went, I don't think I got through to the DM line. This is my first time I've needed to call in a a couple months, so not sure if they are no longer routing calls based on status anymore with the new system, or if it is because of the staffing shortage issues. I don't remember if the initial recording said "Thank you for calling the Diamond Medallion line!" I get an agent that says I need to use 4 RUCs since my trip has 4 legs. Ok...I knew I was in trouble at this point. Tell her its only 2. Get put on hold while she confirms that I'm right. The return leg showed full availability on the website, but not the outbound so I told her I wanted to waitlist for the long leg on the outbound and just to clear me on both legs of the return. Had to explain that twice. 30 more minutes of holding and she comes back and says its done. Asked her to repeat what she did and it wasn't right. I just figured I'd HUCA.

Call back in and get quoted 44 minutes, and again, it was rather accurate. Again, no Diamond greeting (still don't care about that but still don't think I'm actually getting to the Diamond line). Explain to the new rep that the last rep I talked to didn't seem to know about RUCs. Explained to her what I wanted to do. She said sorry about that, let me put you on hold while I check on it. Well, apparently, this person didn't know how to use them either, as at some point during my 20 minute hold, unbeknownst to her, her phone came off mute and I could hear her and another rep discussing how to put the RUCs into the system. After about 10 more minutes of her and the person over her shoulder working on it she then starts talking to me and says "sorry I'm still working on it, my computer is a little slow." Lol. I didn't call her out on it because it was obvious she was learning still. Put back on hold for another 5 minutes and she comes back and says she is done. Luckily, it seems that she processed it correctly, but now I need to make sure she didn't pull a GUC instead of an RUC! But I'm pretty sure I heard the person behind her say RUC... I'll call back in tomorrow and see if I can actually get a Diamond rep and ash him/her to double-check everything I guess.

Oh, and neither time did I get the post-call 1 question survey.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
26 minutes calling this afternoon at 4:30 PM. Quoted 32 minutes so I guess I should be happy.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:17 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I found cancel or change is faster and better than chat or phone.
I had a trip LAS-LHR-LAS at the end of December, D1 on outbound and PE on return. Checked in day before return flight. Checked seats at about midnight before departure (because, well just because I don't trust Delta IT) and the aircraft had changed. I was now on C+ as there was no PS on that aircraft. I tried to call DL (using VOIP as the 25 cents/minute would have been expensive as call times were 2 hour hold or call back). Chat was also a long proposition. I tried changing the flight online and found a flight with D1 to DTW and FC to Vegas and I was refunded $535. Downgraded, changed online and was upgraded plus got $535.

Yesterday I called to change a flight I had just booked. I wanted to change the last segment to a later flight. Was same price as initially booked flight. Website kept displaying message flight sold out. i tried 3 more times with same message. Called Delta. Agent quote me $1,500 more. I went back, cancelled the itinerary and rebooked for $250 less.

Phone and chat is overloaded but at least I can cancel for no penalty and start over.

Last edited by puddinhead; Jan 7, 2022 at 3:22 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The app wouldn't allow me to make a change for Saturday travel I needed to apply a weather waiver to. I called Friday at 11:30 ET and got an agent after the various recordings...so basically no wait. I was shocked! I haven't called in 6+ months, and I was very pleased with the experience. The knowledgeable, pleasant agent was in TPA. Good stuff!
gretchendz, kthomas and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.