Fun checkin experience

Old Nov 8, 19, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Fun checkin experience

Found out even TA/GA dont get great support from their desk at times.

I booked to fly and applied GUCS to go AUS-PVG and PVG-LAX. When I called to apply GUC, I was given an option of booking the nonstop AUS-SEA and having it clear. I told agent, no I'd prefer the option I had just booked online, AUS-SLC-SEA. (It leaves two hours later and gets into SEA with just over hour before PVG. (Nonstop leaves at 6am and results in 4 or 5 hours wait)

Agent understood and applied GUC. I thought nothing more till I went to do OLCI. It was then I saw agent had moved me to nonstop. I called and got it fixed, but SLC-SEA was totally sold out in F. Agent listed me as displaced F passenger and said ask at checkin if seat opened.

It did, but TA had to call her support line. The agent was awful. First she didnt understand this was a displaced F issue. Once she understood that, she said she noticed other errors. 1 my middle name wasn't on ticket, which TA explained wasn't an issue. She refused to go further till this was fixed to her satisfaction. After all that she "notices" an error on my return. Your SEA-LAX is scheduled before you land from PEK (I had to book SHA-PEK-SEA to clear GUC). TA informed her 4 times that no it wasnt. She held firm despite being told Asia->US flights land same day due to dateline. She was told by TA NOT to touch the return. After all this the support agent said there was nothing she could do about me being in F. TA was furious. Hangs up and calls a redcoat. Redcoat at gate gets me in F. TA prints out my reservation (I always get one when traveling in China). The support agent had gone and rebooked my SEA-LAX flight. Not only that she changed the day. I originally was spending the day/night at SEA. Agent had changed it so that I was on the continuation of DL128PEK-SEA to LAX. Agent called the redcoat even more upset.

It wasn't fixed till just before I landed at SLC.

Moral of story, support for even employee seem to be going down.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post

Moral of story, support for even employee seem to be going down.
That sounds frustrating, and I'm sorry you had to go through it, but one bad employee is an anecdote, not a trend.
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
That sounds frustrating, and I'm sorry you had to go through it, but one bad employee is an anecdote, not a trend.
I realize one experience doesn't make a whole. However 1)lately experience with customer facing agents has shown to be more and more frustrating and 2)the redcoat explained this wasnt thecfirst time they have had issue lately.

In fact if this had been the only bad agent experience I wouldn't have even posted it. Stuff happens, it just IME seems to be happening more often. I think in their push to cut back on training (get new employees on the phone quicker) that they've overlooked what that training gives. An experience support agent would know middle name doesn't have to be on ticket. An experienced agent would know flights from Asia land same day and often earlier than when they depart.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 1:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
The “support” desk you are referring to in this case is Global Ticket Support (GTS).

Yes, they have recently gone downhill with inexperienced agents making up rules and taking forever to reissue a simple ticket.

Delta streamlined many reissues through GTS to ensure proper ADD/COLLECT however the agents there are often new and unfamiliar and just do what they want. Le sigh
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:03 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
GTS has some of the nastiest agents in DL's system (in my cynical opinion, because theyre among the most powerful).

One time on a LAS-SEA-NRT trip, confirmed in F/D1, I encountered a delay on LAS SEA that would cause me to miss SEA-NRT. TA at LAS was great, but had to call three (!) times to GTS to get this sorted out, and even then, was given a bunk LAS-SEA-HNL-overnight-NRT option, with no promise of a hotewl. (LAS-LAX_HND was available, but denied due to HND being a different city than NRT.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
GTS has some of the nastiest agents in DL's system (in my cynical opinion, because theyre among the most powerful).

One time on a LAS-SEA-NRT trip, confirmed in F/D1, I encountered a delay on LAS SEA that would cause me to miss SEA-NRT. TA at LAS was great, but had to call three (!) times to GTS to get this sorted out, and even then, was given a bunk LAS-SEA-HNL-overnight-NRT option, with no promise of a hotewl. (LAS-LAX_HND was available, but denied due to HND being a different city than NRT.
Ridiculous, HND and NRT are co-terminal if I remember! Considering the app would allow you to rebook to another city I don't get why they got hung up over HND/NRT.

Did you try rebooking using the online tool? I find its better/easier to use and generally gives more options than calling in.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
The “support” desk you are referring to in this case is Global Ticket Support (GTS).

Yes, they have recently gone downhill with inexperienced agents making up rules and taking forever to reissue a simple ticket.

Delta streamlined many reissues through GTS to ensure proper ADD/COLLECT however the agents there are often new and unfamiliar and just do what they want. Le sigh
If she had simply said no cant do it to the F issue, neither of us would've been upset. However GTS decided to stick her nose into things that had nothing to do with her job. Name on ticket vs passport wasnt something that even needed to be asked or looked at. In fact agent had checked me in already with no issues before calling GTS. The issue with the return really bothered me. She had no reason to look at it, and was told specifically not to touch those flights and acknowledged that. If I hadn't asked for a copy of reservation I wouldve never know it had been changed.
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been noticing recently that even for what should be simple and routine things, DM agents (at least they tell me that they're dedicated DM line agents) keep putting me on long holds, supposedly to ask supervisors for help, because they don't know how to do stuff or answer basic questions like whether there's upgrade space OY on flight DL XXX from YYY to ZZZ on a specific date.
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
Completely agreed. However it seems they’ll do things if airport supervisors leave notes authorizing it, or especially if the phone supervisors leave notes authorizing something. The phone supervisors have power over GTS, but surprisingly I’ve never spoken to a GTS lead.

I’ve seen a Red Coat in ATL yell at GTS b4 to get a change processed.

Ridiculous, HND and NRT are co-terminal if I remember! Considering the app would allow you to rebook to another city I don't get why they got hung up over HND/NRT.
Because they can. And because some of them are not properly trained. There is no way I would have taken them declining Haneda - that’s insane.

If she had simply said no cant do it to the F issue, neither of us would've been upset. However GTS decided to stick her nose into things that had nothing to do with her job. Name on ticket vs passport wasnt something that even needed to be asked or looked at. In fact agent had checked me in already with no issues before calling GTS. The issue with the return really bothered me. She had no reason to look at it, and was told specifically not to touch those flights and acknowledged that. If I hadn't asked for a copy of reservation I wouldve never know it had been changed.
True, but this is what they do - they are trained to remove unused space from the record immediately for resale. This agent thought they were removing a flight you couldn’t physically consume, despite how wrong they were.

And yes, they love sticking their nose in issues that aren’t even brought to their attention. And then sometimes some GTS agents work miracles. So I’m miffed.
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Completely agreed. However it seems they’ll do things if airport supervisors leave notes authorizing it, or especially if...

...True, but this is what they do - they are trained to remove unused space from the record immediately for resale. This agent thought they were removing a flight you couldn’t physically consume, despite how wrong they were.

And yes, they love sticking their nose in issues that aren’t even brought to their attention. And then sometimes some GTS agents work miracles. So I’m miffed.
I can understand unused space and wanting gone. However it had been confirmed and ticketed (this is the part that fails when computer screws up a reservation). The TA explained to her it was 100% correct multiple times. The most important thing the TA told her not to touch the return and the GTS verbally agreed and stated as much. It was after hanging up she made the "change. Basically she lied and knowingly changed a reservation without authorization.

Search this Thread