Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Government Shutdown & MSP security checkpoint closures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government Shutdown & MSP security checkpoint closures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
It’s the start of the winter snowbird season. Saturday mornings will be quite busy for the next couple months. I doubt that’s especially related to the shutdown.
If it's predictable, DL should staff accordingly. It should be simple to schedule a couple more people to work the SkyPriority check in counters.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by pfreet
I do understand people have financial hardships in this situation. But, let's keep this factual. The TSA workers have not missed a paycheck yet. They might, if the shutdown continues through this Friday. Also, no one is working for free. They will eventually be paid for their time even if they miss a paycheck.
Well, historically back pay was issued to government employees. But this has not been agreed to yet.

Historically contractors have not been given back pay during previous shutdowns. So it isn't correct that they will all be paid for their time.

My mother works for homeland security (as a contractor) and at the moment it looks like she won't be getting any back pay.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
9:00 this morning no line at Clear. Probably 10 min line for PreCheck at South Checkpoint. Two X-ray lines working for PreChecj, so better than or the same as a typical Monday.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite Lifetime
I went through Clear at about 6AM this morning and only 2 people ahead of me and fast moving lines. Got to IAH and had to wait 25 mins for a Lyft to the city. They closed terminal B due to TSA sick calls and it created havoc at Terminal A for transport. All in all, It's getting worse, but still manageable.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:01 am

Apparently CLEAR was shutdown at ATL for a while this morning and the security lines had extensive waits (someone told me 2+ hours, but that seems hard to fathom).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:24 am

2 hours at ATL Pre mentioned in this thread: ATL South Pre Check 1/14/19 Heads Up
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I had read that on Saturday, TSA was at 7% out (vs 3% for same date a year ago. For flu season, 3% seems not bad). WaPo now says it was 10% on Sunday. Called out MSP in particular as one of the airports having bigger delays. It mentioned 35 minute wait times. If that's based on TSA reporting, I suspect that individual wait times could easily have been 45+ for regular lines, since the flow per scan lane can be worse after BP check.

I don't know how much MLK impacts departures from MSP (I'd think traffic is heavier inbound as people with kids off school fly home tonight). Tomorrow bears watching, and the week may get worse across the whole system.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rucksack
Apparently CLEAR was shutdown at ATL for a while this morning and the security lines had extensive waits (someone told me 2+ hours, but that seems hard to fathom).
Why should CLEAR be closed? It's a private company and not staffed by government employees. In fact, since CLEAR takes care of the ID/boarding pass check, it saves TSA time and the company (not individual workers as they're being paid) should be thanked during the government shutdown.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Reminder - this thread should be about MSP security line progression during the selection government shutdown only. We have received RBPs about things going off-topic.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:13 pm

I can report that CBP at MSP was fine: immigration and customs seemed to work as usual, including the failure to send out checked bags quickly or to do SkyPriority bags first.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have any sense how bad lines are for customs and immigration?
I volunteered yesterday from 12-5 in customs and immigration and felt the lines were about the same as usual. There seemed to be the same numbers of FIS officers as are normally there. The lines were long from around 12-2 but they always are then because flights from HND, CDG, and AMS all arrive within a short time period.

Edited to add: MSPeconomist, I just saw your post right above this. We had the same impression.

On a side note, I do not understand why more people do not get the mobile passport app!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why should CLEAR be closed? It's a private company and not staffed by government employees. In fact, since CLEAR takes care of the ID/boarding pass check, it saves TSA time and the company (not individual workers as they're being paid) should be thanked during the government shutdown.

I realize that you're asking a rhetorical question in order to point out that CLEAR is a private company, but obviously it's a question that I can't answer. I'm just reporting what a friend told me who flew out of ATL on 1/15. Maybe it was a fluke or maybe it was somehow related to the government shutdown – I don't know – but it sure was awful timing in light of the shutdown and 2+ hour security checkpoint waits.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I volunteered yesterday from 12-5 in customs and immigration and felt the lines were about the same as usual. There seemed to be the same numbers of FIS officers as are normally there. The lines were long from around 12-2 but they always are then because flights from HND, CDG, and AMS all arrive within a short time period.

Edited to add: MSPeconomist, I just saw your post right above this. We had the same impression.

On a side note, I do not understand why more people do not get the mobile passport app!
Never knew there was one. I do now, and it's on my phone. :-) Thanks for making my life easier!
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by mnflyer58
Never knew there was one. I do now, and it's on my phone. :-) Thanks for making my life easier!
IIRC it only can be downloaded on some phones.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

Worked for me. I'm with the dark side and have an iphone. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.