Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Government Shutdown & MSP security checkpoint closures

Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

Checkpoint 10 (the skyway checkpoint normally open on weekdays until around 1:15pm) is closed and expected to be closed for the duration of the shutdown.

The InterContinental hotel TSA checkpoint is closed until further notice.

The TSA checkpoint from Immigration and Customs into the G concourse is still operating. It is used only by international arriving passengers who have connecting flights.

I will add my observation, from three volunteer shifts at MSP in the past week, that the regular TSA lines are longer than usual for the volume of passengers. PreCheck seemed less affected. I have not heard any figures on numbers of TSA agents at work at MSP. Dogs were being used at the North Checkpoint, so the long lines there moved quickly.

The Global Entry office in Baggage Claim is closed. People with interview appointments are being notified by CBP (Customs and Border Protection) via email.

Mods, feel free to broaden this thread for similar information about other airports. (Let's keep this about Delta & MSP for now. 3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator)

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:00 pm Reason: Adding further information
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Checkpoint 10 is the skyway checkpoint, right?

Can we assume that CLEAR is working as usual?

How bad was the South (most DL flights and close to F/G) SC? Or should someone with CLEAR and/or PreCheck go to the North checkpoint, near the Escape lounge?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Checkpoint 10 is the skyway checkpoint, right?

Can we assume that CLEAR is working as usual?
Yes and yes. I’ll edit the checkpoint reference in OP to clarify that.

Clear personnel were busy registering new applicants!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you have any sense how bad lines are for customs and immigration?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have any sense how bad lines are for customs and immigration?
No, but I’ll try to work there in the coming week and report back.

I added further info to the OP re closure of the Intercontinental Hotel checkpoint.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I looked on mspairport for wait times today and lo and behold, the little web bugs that show the wait times at T1 are missing. T2 is yellow, at 25 mins right now.

I chatted with a MAC rep via the sites IM capability to report the bug outage, and she said she had not heard of a 'sick-out' which I find maybe a tad suspect as a claim, but maybe she's not a news junkie. She didn't mention that the skyway was shut. She did say to show up 2.5 hours before MSP domestics, and 3.5 hours before Int'l flights. I'll stick with my recent trend of 1:45 to 2 hours, but even that is frustrating compared to when I used to aim for 75 minutes. Skyway was open on Dec 28 and it was a breeze.

Yes, yes I should have Pre. I keep meaning to get in the application for Global Entry, but that's shut for the moment anyway.

Edit: Flew out of DEN on Jan 5, and while wait times weren't too bad, it looked like about 1/4 fewer lanes were open that what I usually see. It could have been measured against known departure volume, since waits were acceptable. But it's my most frequent airport after MSP and it seemed a little scantly staffed.

Last edited by RaflW; Jan 7, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite Lifetime
Flew out this AM and went through Clear at North checkpoint. It was about the same as any other Monday, although they did have one additional belt open for security. Took about the same as any other time I have been through.

If you go to the North Checkpoint, there are only 2 Clear terminals so the south is likely your better bet if your flight departs from F/G. I was leaving from C so this made the most sense to me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I sure hope that passengers aren't rude to these people who are currently working for free.
I don't blame single person for calling in when they've got bills to pay, such an avoidable mess, but it is what it is.
RaflW likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Joegopher
Flew out this AM and went through Clear at North checkpoint. It was about the same as any other Monday, although they did have one additional belt open for security. Took about the same as any other time I have been through.

If you go to the North Checkpoint, there are only 2 Clear terminals so the south is likely your better bet if your flight departs from F/G. I was leaving from C so this made the most sense to me.
Thank you and welcome to FT.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wimsta
I sure hope that passengers aren't rude to these people who are currently working for free.
I don't blame single person for calling in when they've got bills to pay, such an avoidable mess, but it is what it is.
Agree. I've been making a point to thank all the TSOs I see individually for coming in.

The shutdown has actually put my new job (private sector) on hold until a relevant agency is back up and fully running, so I'm stuck past my original start date playing hurry up and wait myself. The impacts are becoming more and more reaching by the day. Hopefully this mess is all over soon enough.

In the meantime, be patient and kind to TSOs and CBP officers, I would hate to come to work without pay, possibly unable to make ends meet at the moment.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yesterday (Sunday afternoon) South checkpoint was a gong show about noon for at least pre-check line as well as Clear. Pre-check was about 40 deep, and Clear line into pre-check had about 20? North checkpoint was a breeze, per usual. Sky priority line had at least 60 in it when I was checking in.

Im not convinced theres been that much of an impact at MSP yet, sans the checkpoints mentioned above being shutdown. More time is probably needed to know for sure, but Ill have two more data points this week (when I normally use super secret checkpoint.)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
And every single person going through those lines today paid $5.60 in their ticket price to get screened. Crazy that the government can withhold the direct service revenue from these workers.

Wonder if I handed a $5 bill to every TSA person at the checkpoint as an advance for their pay, what might happen? I can't find a definitive link discussing tipping TSA agents. Imagine that?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:07 pm

I do understand people have financial hardships in this situation. But, let's keep this factual. The TSA workers have not missed a paycheck yet. They might, if the shutdown continues through this Friday. Also, no one is working for free. They will eventually be paid for their time even if they miss a paycheck.
MSPeconomist, RJPA and ck8 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pfreet
I do understand people have financial hardships in this situation. But, let's keep this factual. The TSA workers have not missed a paycheck yet. They might, if the shutdown continues through this Friday. Also, no one is working for free. They will eventually be paid for their time even if they miss a paycheck.
Maybe my relative is lying, but according to him he was due to be paid last Friday...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
At the MAC meeting today, the head of TSA at MSP said he'd seen no increase in sick calls or other reductions in staff related to the shutdown. Not sure I believe it, but that was his contention at least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.