Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Bowl in ATL, 2/3/19

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Super Bowl in ATL, 2/3/19

Make your travel plans accordingly.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Atlanta is going to need a bigger airport to accommodate all that traffic.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Try flying home that weekend via an airport that only has service to ATL and the problem quickly and expensively becomes obvious.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I wonder if DL will aggressively police hidden-city flying.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by WWads
I wonder if DL will aggressively police hidden-city flying.
From the anecdotal searches I have done, I don't think hidden-city flying will save you any money. haha
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:33 pm

Someone I spoke with at the ATL airport over the summer said the Monday after Super Bowl will be the busiest day in the history of ATL. He said people come in evenly over the 1-4 days prior to the Sunday but absolutely everyone wants to go home on the Monday.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:45 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm amused at the banners Delta has up inside ATL that proclaim 'All runways lead to Atlanta'. Because if you're a Delta flyer, hasn't that been darn obvious since the merger?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I Think ATL can handle it. Last I heard, there is a SuperBowl every year at SOME airport, and thus far, it has worked out.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Back to back years with the Super Bowl being held in a DL hub city. Last year the game was held in MSP and now in ATL. DL must be profiting big from these games with all of the extra traffic and higher fares in and out of there hubs during this weekend. I remember seeing a thread on here last year of a ~$10,000 domestic FC ticket out of MSP last year during the Super Bowl.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
To me, it doesn't seem like ATL was built like a huge O&D airport. There just doesn't seem like enough security and check-in infrastructure like for one, but I could be misjudging it.

Given the crowds during Thanksgiving, this may be more fun to watch from afar.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: A few
Like any other major city, they'll likely take appropriate measures to keep any negative publicity at bay ... I'll bet we'll see an unprecedented number of TSA screeners present and every single screening checkpoint open from North, Mid-point to South.

I'm more curious to see whether or not the Clear line will remain as one solitary line at North, backed up through the DL North check-in counters, or will they start using some of those Clear kiosks over near the Pre-Check South entrance ...

Regardless, I think ATL can absolutely handle the volume, if properly staffed and properly managed
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:47 am

Delete

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 31, 2018 at 6:42 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
To me, it doesn't seem like ATL was built like a huge O&D airport. There just doesn't seem like enough security and check-in infrastructure like for one, but I could be misjudging it.
In domestic O&D it's #6 nationwide, just behind MCO and ahead of SFO and SEA. Superbowls have been held in lots of places with smaller airports. New Orleans, Jacksonville and Indianapolis don't even make the top 30 in O&D.

Anybody recall ATL for the summer Olympics in 1996?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Airport life pre 9/11 was a different world. Comparing now and 1996 is irrelevant. Having lived through the superbowl and MSP last year, it will look like a busy holiday but won't be life ending, unless weather or an IT meltdown.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
In domestic O&D it's #6 nationwide, just behind MCO and ahead of SFO and SEA. Superbowls have been helubd in lots of places with smaller airports. New Orleans, Jacksonville and Indianapolis don't even make the top 30 in O&D.

Anybody recall ATL for the summer Olympics in 1996?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'm amused at the banners Delta has up inside ATL that proclaim 'All runways lead to Atlanta'. Because if you're a Delta flyer, hasn't that been darn obvious since the merger?
That's because "DELTA" is really an acronym: "Darn - Everything Leads To Atlanta
wrp96, ginmqi and ryw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.