Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Bowl in ATL, 2/3/19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
PDK is sending notices to surrounding neighborhoods about increased traffic for Super Bowl (I live in one of them). From one of the reports/press releases:

Bombardier is even using the traffic as an excuse to launch a new a/c: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...pdk-super-bowl

I live here and have recently been to the SEC Championship, CFB Championship, Chick-Fil-A/Peach Bowl, CFB Kickoff (same weekend as Dragon*Con), ATL United playoffs, etc. My office is in midtown and advised everyone to telecommute for the entirety of this week. Judging by the temporary construction, increased traffic, closed roads, and other disruptions we began seeing over a week ago, I'd say the Super Bowl is going to be several magnitudes more disruptive than any of the above events.
Add in potentially bad winter weather this week to the above.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by N830MH
I think the Super Bowl games will postponed it. Due to inclement weather. I think they will makeup a date.
I am 100% certain that the Super Bowl will not be postponed because of inclement weather. It's being played in a closed stadium in the southeast in January. Yes, there might be travel disruptions for those traveling to the game, and personally I wouldn't want to touch ATL this week with a 1,000-mile stick (mainly because of the crowds).

The game will go on as scheduled. Mark my words. (And check a forecast.)
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
I am 100% certain that the Super Bowl will not be postponed because of inclement weather. It's being played in a closed stadium in the southeast in January. Yes, there might be travel disruptions for those traveling to the game, and personally I wouldn't want to touch ATL this week with a 1,000-mile stick (mainly because of the crowds).

The game will go on as scheduled. Mark my words. (And check a forecast.)
I completely agree. There is no reason I can think of for tomorrow's inclement weather to affect the game. The temperatures should even be above freezing on Friday and Saturday night, eliminating the road ice risk.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I'm pretty sure that the poster was joking (making fun of Atlanta's terrible winter weather handling) - I doubt he believes the Superbowl is moving.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Talking

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL seems to have excess capacity in widebody aircraft at this time of year, with some routinely parking for almost a full day. There might be a way to shift around the aircraft routing (or even adjust schedules a bit) in order to make more widebodies available for SuperBowel times.
I’m in no way surprised at a sarcastic reference to a sporting event, but ... say WHAT?!?!?!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
there are at least two very active general aviation airports in the Atlanta airport -- Fulton County (FTY) and DeKalb Peachtree (PDK); not sure if Marietta (MGE) (Dobbins ARB) gets too much business traffic with the Lockheed facility and Air Force Reserve units
MGE is not a public/GA facility. However, nearby Kennesaw has McCollum Field (RYY) which sees a not insignificant amount of jet traffic and IIRC is the only GA airport in the Atlanta area with CBP facilities. Briscoe Field in Lawrenceville (LZU), as well as Falcon Field in Peachtree City (FFC), are sure to see increased ops and also are already home to a few sizeable jet charter operators (AirStar, Georgia Jet, PriorityJet, etc).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by sky303
MGE is not a public/GA facility. However, nearby Kennesaw has McCollum Field (RYY) which sees a not insignificant amount of jet traffic and IIRC is the only GA airport in the Atlanta area with CBP facilities. Briscoe Field in Lawrenceville (LZU), as well as Falcon Field in Peachtree City (FFC), are sure to see increased ops and also are already home to a few sizeable jet charter operators (AirStar, Georgia Jet, PriorityJet, etc).
Slightly OT but I'm surprised PDK doesn't have CBP facilities. I'd think given the location that it would be the favored airport for a variety of private jet types. Is there a way to clear customs/immigration at a location without formal CBP facilities?

I've taken a grand total of two private flights in my life (both ways of a round-trip), so I basically know nothing and am just curious.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
Slightly OT but I'm surprised PDK doesn't have CBP facilities. I'd think given the location that it would be the favored airport for a variety of private jet types. Is there a way to clear customs/immigration at a location without formal CBP facilities?

I've taken a grand total of two private flights in my life (both ways of a round-trip), so I basically know nothing and am just curious.
It is odd and beyond my scope of knowledge, but inbound intl will typically just clear at an intermediate airport. Ft Lauderdale Exec (FXE) for instance is a commonly used place where private flights clear customs when coming back from the Caribbean to the east coast. It’s like a factory line on the right day.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by sky303
It is odd and beyond my scope of knowledge, but inbound intl will typically just clear at an intermediate airport. Ft Lauderdale Exec (FXE) for instance is a commonly used place where private flights clear customs when coming back from the Caribbean to the east coast. It’s like a factory line on the right day.
Ahh, that makes sense. Well, the intermediate clearance point makes sense, at least.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do many people come from overseas, on private jets, for the SuperBowl? I would think that's mostly a USA event since the game being played is American football.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Do many people come from overseas, on private jets, for the SuperBowl? I would think that's mostly a USA event since the game being played is American football.
Yes, they will be there. They're here to watching Super Bowl game. That will be fun!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Short answer: Yes.

I know for sure there are rabid NFL fans in the UK, and I'd have to imagine any number of other countries across the world. Topic for a separate forum, but I wouldn't be surprised if an NFL franchise is added over there in the near future.

More than that, though, Super Bowl attendance is as much (or perhaps more) tied to corporate business development than the game itself. Especially the types of attendees arriving by private plane - these are people who are either well off enough to a) fly private and b) afford access to the game and surrounding events, or they are movers/shakers in their industry who are in a position to access the game/events via corporate sponsorships.

Think of it not as a football game, but one of the biggest corporate entertainment boondoggles ever conceived.
wrp96 and ryw like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any reports from ATL or is everyone avoiding it for the rest of the week?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:00 pm

Currently I am scheduled to connect through ATL around 8am Sat. If anything is out of the ordinary I will post about it. I only have a 36 minute layover though.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Purposely avoiding it. Paid a little more to take AA through DFW and UA through IAH instead of Delta through ATL both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.