Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Bowl in ATL, 2/3/19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:24 pm

If I’m spending huge money on flights to go to the Super Bowl, I don’t think I would be willing to connect.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do those airports have sufficient parking available for planes?
Both airports have multiple runways. I'm guessing that if either or both airport is expecting enough traffic that they would do what DAB does during the Daytona 500 - shut down one of the runways and use it as a parking ramp.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know that last year for the Minneapolis SuperBowl, some private jets were landing at Flying Cloud (Eden Prairie, southwest of the city and not much farther than MSP which is southeast of the city) and then flying elsewhere (for example, St Cloud) to park.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by chack22
I read this as BE = Basic Economy, which are in fact all 'sold out.'. Incidentally, there is at least one 777 operating on the 1st LAX>ATL and both a A333 and 777 operating ATL>LAX on the 4th.
DL has regularly run a 77L daily between LAX and ATL to cycle the SYD 77L aircraft through ATL.
Some days even prior to SB weekend would also routinely see a 333 run JFK-LAX-ATL-LAX-JFK.
3 widebodies on a day between LAX and ATL would be exceptional. And they did add a one-off 764 on 2/4 to go with the 333 and 777 running ATL-LAX
Don't see the prehistoric domestic 763's making an appearance on this route or ATL-BOS that weekend yet, but you never know.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL seems to have excess capacity in widebody aircraft at this time of year, with some routinely parking for almost a full day. There might be a way to shift around the aircraft routing (or even adjust schedules a bit) in order to make more widebodies available for SuperBowel times.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I think you guys are massively overestimating how much disruption is going to be caused by the superbowl. It's not like it's going to be an order of magnitude more than, say, the peach bowl.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Super Bowl is an order of magnitude of travelers who do not have tickets to the game compared to the College National Championship game which is orders of magnitude above the Peach Bowl. Media is quadruple that of a College Championship game, and corporate sponsors throwing parties are everywhere. If you buy a 30-second Super Bowl ad, you are probably having a party in ATL connected with it. Hence why hotels are 5x more costly than for any other football game at that stadium.

2/4 will be the biggest one-day origination travel day ever at ATL. Bigger than any holiday, the last Super Bowl, or any day of the Olympics.
115,000 expected to board in ATL on 2/4. That is compared to 75,000 on the busiest day during a 3-day holiday weekend like today.
Memorial Day 2018 set a new one-day record for passengers passing through security at ATL and that was 93,000.

So even if estimates are missed by 10%, it will still set a record at ATL.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If I’m spending huge money on flights to go to the Super Bowl, I don’t think I would be willing to connect.
That's why I said nonstops are where the premium revenue is. BOS<->ATL nonstops are going for about $1800 at premium times (Friday evening - Monday morning). Connecting drops that down significantly.

That said, all the carriers are throwing in extra capacity. United is running a bunch of nonstops out of Atlanta - including a 777 at 8:38 AM on Monday. Total price if you take a United connection on the outbound is $620. A lot of folks - even folks wealthy enough to attend the Super Bowl - will take a 50 minute connection in Chicago to save $1200.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
One interesting artifact of this is how cheap tickets out of LAX are (compared to BOS) - $1250 vs $1800. They're only a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 90 minute flight out of St. Louis (~$1050). This is an interesting economic representation of how (un)entrenched the Rams are in their new home.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Super Bowl is an order of magnitude of travelers who do not have tickets to the game compared to the College National Championship game which is orders of magnitude above the Peach Bowl. Media is quadruple that of a College Championship game, and corporate sponsors throwing parties are everywhere. If you buy a 30-second Super Bowl ad, you are probably having a party in ATL connected with it. Hence why hotels are 5x more costly than for any other football game at that stadium.

2/4 will be the biggest one-day origination travel day ever at ATL. Bigger than any holiday, the last Super Bowl, or any day of the Olympics.
115,000 expected to board in ATL on 2/4. That is compared to 75,000 on the busiest day during a 3-day holiday weekend like today.
Memorial Day 2018 set a new one-day record for passengers passing through security at ATL and that was 93,000.

So even if estimates are missed by 10%, it will still set a record at ATL.
It will be interesting to see if people get spooked and cancel their Super Bowl travel plans if the shutdown is still on in 2 weeks and more TSA workers are calling out sick.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
So what's the news at ATL regarding preps for the Superbowl? Any good stories?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD
So what's the news at ATL regarding preps for the Superbowl? Any good stories?
There's a weather waiver for ATL for January 29-30, but it's far from obvious that they will get severe weather. Rebooked travel no later than February 2nd. The announcement is very confusing regarding whether fare differences will be collected, so it could be a free SDC for someone going to the SuperBowl and wanting an expensive nonstop ticket without paying the fare for it.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a weather waiver for ATL for January 29-30, but it's far from obvious that they will get severe weather. Rebooked travel no later than February 2nd.
I think the Super Bowl games will postponed it. Due to inclement weather. I think they will makeup a date.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:49 pm

So if you’re traveling 2/3/19 and have an IRROP it’s fair to assume there won’t be any hotels?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
there are at least two very active general aviation airports in the Atlanta airport -- Fulton County (FTY) and DeKalb Peachtree (PDK); not sure if Marietta (MGE) (Dobbins ARB) gets too much business traffic with the Lockheed facility and Air Force Reserve units
PDK is sending notices to surrounding neighborhoods about increased traffic for Super Bowl (I live in one of them). From one of the reports/press releases:
About 1,600 general aviation aircraft are expected to be flying into 30 airports within a 60-mile radius of metro Atlanta. PDK Airport is expected to be the busiest because most passengers are staying in nearby Buckhead, according to a DeKalb County spokesperson.
Bombardier is even using the traffic as an excuse to launch a new a/c: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...pdk-super-bowl

Originally Posted by pvn
I think you guys are massively overestimating how much disruption is going to be caused by the superbowl. It's not like it's going to be an order of magnitude more than, say, the peach bowl.
I live here and have recently been to the SEC Championship, CFB Championship, Chick-Fil-A/Peach Bowl, CFB Kickoff (same weekend as Dragon*Con), ATL United playoffs, etc. My office is in midtown and advised everyone to telecommute for the entirety of this week. Judging by the temporary construction, increased traffic, closed roads, and other disruptions we began seeing over a week ago, I'd say the Super Bowl is going to be several magnitudes more disruptive than any of the above events.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.