Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Bowl in ATL, 2/3/19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Skymiles
Flying out of PHX Monday Morning after the Super Bowl was the worst airport experience I've had to date. More so because we sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half waiting to depart because of all of the Private Jets fighting for the same runway space. I was extremely surprised that my MSP-ATL round trip for Super Bowl week was only around $350 when I booked last week, and my Monday flight back to Minneapolis is currently only half full (and seat 27A, aka the best Main Cabin seat on the A321 was still open).

I'd plan on it being a super busy day, but nothing completely earth shattering or unseen. Barring crazy weather or some IT meltdown, it will be fine. Not the day to push it on airport arrival time, but not impossible.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
To me, it doesn't seem like ATL was built like a huge O&D airport. There just doesn't seem like enough security and check-in infrastructure like for one, but I could be misjudging it.

Given the crowds during Thanksgiving, this may be more fun to watch from afar.
I think the lanes are there.

Staffing is the issue for Atlanta's TSA issues. TSA just can't staff the place (or most places)
Originally Posted by indufan
I don't think anyone will even notice a difference. The game last late. Not everyone will be interested in a morning flight. Even everyone won't leave leave on Monday. Given the location and depending upon the teams, there may be significant drive in attendance. I have been to a Super Bowl, it really isn't that much bigger of a deal than most regular season games except that neither team is at home.
and I'd be willing to bet Delta will add a good bit of capacity and extra sections to cities that send teams for the super bowl.
Originally Posted by MSPJIN
Flying out of PHX Monday Morning after the Super Bowl was the worst airport experience I've had to date. More so because we sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half waiting to depart because of all of the Private Jets fighting for the same runway space. I was extremely surprised that my MSP-ATL round trip for Super Bowl week was only around $350 when I booked last week, and my Monday flight back to Minneapolis is currently only half full (and seat 27A, aka the best Main Cabin seat on the A321 was still open).

I'd plan on it being a super busy day, but nothing completely earth shattering or unseen. Barring crazy weather or some IT meltdown, it will be fine. Not the day to push it on airport arrival time, but not impossible.
wont be much of that at ATL.

PDK on the other hand will probably be a cluster
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPJIN
Barring crazy weather or some IT meltdown, it will be fine. Not the day to push it on airport arrival time, but not impossible.
The last time Atlanta hosted a super bowl, there was an ice storm that made the whole week very interesting!

I don't remember there being a problem with flights, other than the airline I was flying home having a major accident that week: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska...nes_Flight_261
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
LOL.

Inspired by this thread, I took a look at hotel rates for that weekend.
$240 for an Extended Stay America
$720 for a Hampton Inn, for pity's sake!
$354 for a Red Roof Inn
$987 for a Doubletree way out in the burbs

And get this: Motel 6 Downtown: $1199!!

I can't imagine ever admitting I paid $1200/night to stay at a Motel 6, even if it was downtown.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by hotturnip
LOL.

Inspired by this thread, I took a look at hotel rates for that weekend.
$240 for an Extended Stay America
$720 for a Hampton Inn, for pity's sake!
$354 for a Red Roof Inn
$987 for a Doubletree way out in the burbs

And get this: Motel 6 Downtown: $1199!!

I can't imagine ever admitting I paid $1200/night to stay at a Motel 6, even if it was downtown.
Wait and see what the rates will be in a few weeks. Will drop for sure.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:56 pm

Myself and a buddy connect in ATL from GSP the day before the SB on our way to Vegas. We have a 42m connection but our flight from GSP is at 6:30 am so aircraft will get in the night before. Not
concerned connecting. Both currently in C+ so towards front and it’s mainline to mainline.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Back to back years with the Super Bowl being held in a DL hub city. Last year the game was held in MSP and now in ATL. DL must be profiting big from these games with all of the extra traffic and higher fares in and out of there hubs during this weekend. I remember seeing a thread on here last year of a ~$10,000 domestic FC ticket out of MSP last year during the Super Bowl.
That was certainly the travel pattern last year for the SuperBowl in Minneapolis, although a lot of private planes apparently tried to leave Sunday night (but they were arriving and parking at some of our smaller regional airports rather than all at MSP). To me, the big surprise was the number of people who came to the Twin Cities to enjoy the big party (in the winter) but didn't have tickets to the game and didn't intend to even try to get them.

Some of the (free) activities early in the week were sort of fun, and the special lighting looked cool, but as the weekend approached, IMO the best thing to do was to leave town because the traffic was horrendous and, just like around the Ryder Cup golf tournament or during the RNC, it was hopeless to go out to dinner, etc. Local employers encourages as many people as possible to work from home for part or all of that week.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
The fun airports to watch after a superbowl (or Masters, or any other large sporting event with a definitive end) are the ones with significant FBO's. The number (and cost) of the private jets is astonishing. ATL doesn't have much of that traffic - though some of the other area airports may cause some congestion. My bet is a little busy through security but otherwise very normal high traffic day.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by justpassinthru
The fun airports to watch after a superbowl (or Masters, or any other large sporting event with a definitive end) are the ones with significant FBO's. The number (and cost) of the private jets is astonishing. ATL doesn't have much of that traffic - though some of the other area airports may cause some congestion. My bet is a little busy through security but otherwise very normal high traffic day.
If you want a good one, try DAB during the Daytona 500. It the lineup of inbound jets looks like ATL or LAX (except for that fact that it’s Cessn Citations and Gulfstreams instead of commercial traffic) with Biz Jets coming in right after the other all morning. Quite a site. Runway 16/34 gets shut down and used as a ramp for all the jets.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Super Bowl LIII planners in Atlanta: This shutdown means ‘uncharted territory’

..... On Feb. 4, the day Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms calls “Mass Exodus Monday,” about 110,000 passengers are expected to be departing from Atlanta’s airport one day after the Super Bowl.

“Obviously, we are in uncharted territory with the shutdown that’s gone on this long, and we are preparing as best we can from our vantage point,” Bottoms said. ....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/super...rted-territory
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just for fun, try a Google search on 'Minnesota Nice, passive aggressive behavior'

A less-than-perfect performance by ATL wouldn't make MSP shine any brighter.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Imagine what would happen if the TSA would call in sick on that Monday.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
How long before LAX-ATL prices rise?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RRDD
How long before LAX-ATL prices rise?
DL's RM department would have to be as blind as the refs in the NFC Championship game to not begin raising prices right away on LAX-ATL.

Wonder if DL will upguage any LAX-ATL flights to widebodies around that SB Weekend now.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Flying that weekend, thank God I'm going through DFW on the way there and IAH on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.