Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Bowl in ATL, 2/3/19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just did a look see on hotels for this weekend. Still lots under $200 a night. And some with insane prices of $700 to over $1000
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Just did a look see on hotels for this weekend. Still lots under $200 a night. And some with insane prices of $700 to over $1000
Interesting. Last year there was hardly a bed to be found in the Twin Cities at any price. Limited service establishments in places like St Cloud were asking $400-800 per night for basic rooms, although some of the private jets were using the St Cloud airport and IIRC the community organized some chartered bus service for SuperBowl.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting. Last year there was hardly a bed to be found in the Twin Cities at any price. Limited service establishments in places like St Cloud were asking $400-800 per night for basic rooms, although some of the private jets were using the St Cloud airport and IIRC the community organized some chartered bus service for SuperBowl.
As I mentioned earlier up thread, Atlanta is not comparable to the Twin Cities. Beyond simply being larger with more major headquarters, it is also a major convention hub. It has well over double the number of hotel beds as MSP. The Superbowl is enough to exhaust MSP's hotel capacity - Atlanta has enough to absorb it (not saying it is not unprecedented demand, but it's enough where demand can meet supply without it going parabolic).
sky303, ryw and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Although the event can't compare to the SuperBowl; hotel rooms in downtown Minneapolis for the NCAA Final Four are sold out for 4/5-4/9, but plenty of "Holiday Inn" type rooms are currently available for $200-$300 per night in Bloomington (near MSP). Rooms in St Cloud are about $150.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:27 pm

There seems to be less hype here given the 2 teams. NE has been in almost every year and LA has a new fan base and is across the country. If NO had made it I suspect a ton of Saints fans would have driven in and taken up a large number of hotel rooms.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
How’s ATL doing today?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
A notable amount of bored looking "ATL" volunteers standing around combined with, at least in my experience, not full flights. Very relaxing actually.

I did see a BOS flight about to arrive that was greeted by a fleet of Porsches.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:39 am

Hotwire still has a ton of ATL area hotels available this weekend for regular prices. Same with car rentals.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Flightaware is showing pretty reliable ops at ATL:

On Thursday DL cancelled only eight mainline ATL flights (WN cancelled 16).

On Friday, it was ten for DL mainline. Only 22 cancellations across all carriers.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Most of the people traveling for the Super Bowl are NOT going to the game. They are media, sponsors and their guests. They came last weekend and during the week.
The ones traveling today probably are going to the game, and that should not be much different than the day before a Final Four or college bowl game in Atlanta that involves two teams whose fan bases would need to fly here. So today should be busy for a Saturday but that is about it.

One thing both groups have in common is that most will want to leave on Monday. Which is why Monday is projected to be the busiest day in ATL origination traffic by a comfortable margin.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is anyone in ATL this morning? There's a report that CLEAR is shut down and the pictures look like an enormous mess, much worse than ATL usually is.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:53 am

Is anyone in ATL this morning? There's a report that CLEAR is shut down and the pictures look like an enormous mess, much worse than ATL usually is.
Curious myself. The north/south checkpoints as of five minutes ago were still listed as "over an hour" for waits. Someone said Precheck was "really long" but I don't know how it compares to other Monday mornings, which I've had take up to half an hour in Precheck on bad days.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
The day after the Super Bowl in Minneapolis last year was the busiest day ever recorded at MSP, around 60,000 passengers departing. However, it went remarkably smoothly. Passengers arrived early for their flights and were patient with the lines. There were airport and Super Bowl volunteers out in full force, including airport administrative staff who left their offices to help “out front.” TSA had sent extra officers from other cities; Delta had done the same (lots of Delta ground staff from ATL). TSA allowed passengers with Monday departures to clear security on Sunday night and spend the night in the airport. There weren’t hordes of people who did this, but that was another factor making Monday manageable.

I hope ATL can do as well today.

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm headed to ATL in a couple hours. Still debating what side of the airport to go to, but it's looking like I may be better served using int'l as I'll be there after Pre re-opens for the afternoon.

Any update on the CLEAR situation at domestic? If it's shut, that seals the deal for me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I would definitely use Terminal F today. I doubt busloads of folks are getting dropped off at F curbside from their hotels. And I am a Clear member.

Predictions are today will be the busiest day for originating traffic in ATL by a large margin (10-15%) over the next busiest day in history.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.