Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BenA
This is easy to say, because the only amount of manageable snow here is zero.

(To be fair, we have the one-two-three punch of steep hills, warm temperatures that encourage icing, and a total lack of snow removal equipment and expertise. And, honestly, I like it that way - it means guaranteed snow days whenever the slightest bit falls!)
as well as a near-total lack of expertise among the locals -- many of whom are more than eager to toss their gear into the car and drive 45 minutes to nearby ski areas as soon as the first flakes appear -- to cope with even a dusting of snow on the roads when they're behind the wheel
BenA likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish there were a required driver's license endorsement certifying that one knows how to drive in winter weather. There used to be places where snow tires, studs, or chains were required in severe winter conditions, so if they can restrict the cars, why not the drivers?

I know people who think that if a SUV lands in a ditch, it should stay there until spring.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
as well as a near-total lack of expertise among the locals -- many of whom are more than eager to toss their gear into the car and drive 45 minutes to nearby ski areas as soon as the first flakes appear -- to cope with even a dusting of snow on the roads when they're behind the wheel
“I’ve got a Subaru Outback, and the extra weight of my KEXP sticker gives me even more traction! I can do anything on snow or ice!”
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:41 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Since I just returned from a business trip to Armenia, where I discovered that the Armenian Orthodox Church celebrates Christmas on January 6, I decided to treat myself to one last present — an HK SP5K.

Ohhhh yeahhhh....

Thor’s hammer ain’t got nuttin’ on this gorgeous piece of art.
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to confiscate that... I think it belongs to me.

Now you just need to import a bunch of tech-bro hipsters from NYC into your backyard, double your rent from last year, and ensure every mode of transportation is either overloaded or dysfunctional to get the full 2018 Seattle experience
LOL
Originally Posted by jrl767

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wish there were a required driver's license endorsement certifying that one knows how to drive in winter weather. There used to be places where snow tires, studs, or chains were required in severe winter conditions, so if they can restrict the cars, why not the drivers?

I know people who think that if a SUV lands in a ditch, it should stay there until spring.
I could agree with that.

“I’ve got a Subaru Outback, and the extra weight of my KEXP sticker gives me even more traction! I can do anything on snow or ice!”
Yes!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
This is the BEST IDEA. We should outsource every aspect of handling snow to Minnesotans, apparently.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:46 am

Morning, Lounge!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Morning!

Tons of snow here yesterday and today. The commute this morning was less than ideal. It's funny that where I live we were slammed with snow, but in SLC (where I work) it's pretty much non-existent.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
Morning!

Tons of snow here yesterday and today. The commute this morning was less than ideal. It's funny that where I live we were slammed with snow, but in SLC (where I work) it's pretty much non-existent.
I don't like snow. Actually, I don't like snow when I need to drive somewhere.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I don't like snow. Actually, I don't like snow when I need to drive somewhere.
Snow is always much better the day after. Then it's not in my driveway and on the roads.

The cat wasn't too excited about the snow this morning either.
Attached Images  
JoelThomas likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:25 pm

Snow is always much better the day after. Then it's not in my driveway and on the roads.

The cat wasn't too excited about the snow this morning either.
It is, except when it turns to slush or melts and refreezes.

LOL, I wouldn't be too excited!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Morning!

That must limit your options for claiming to be unable to come to work on snowy days if everyone else can come in, look out the window, and see nothing but balmy days with sunshine while you're claiming to be snowbound due to some blizzard that just happened to totally miss SLC. Even with the photo of your cat standing up on his hind paws and contemplating the snow bank, it just wouldn't be credible, although I'm impressed that you managed to convince the big guy to go outside for the photo op.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:56 am

That must limit your options for claiming to be unable to come to work on snowy days if everyone else can come in, look out the window, and see nothing but balmy days with sunshine while you're claiming to be snowbound due to some blizzard that just happened to totally miss SLC. Even with the photo of your cat standing up on his hind paws and contemplating the snow bank, it just wouldn't be credible, although I'm impressed that you managed to convince the big guy to go outside for the photo op.
My company allows us to telework and they recognize that snowfall and roadway cleanup response may vary throughout the region.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:28 am

MAEN!

That must limit your options for claiming to be unable to come to work on snowy days if everyone else can come in, look out the window, and see nothing but balmy days with sunshine while you're claiming to be snowbound due to some blizzard that just happened to totally miss SLC.
I've never stayed home from work ever because of snow unless the facility was closed. There were some people here who worked from home yesterday or came in the afternoon. I live north of SLC, but my boss was a lot later than I was coming in yesterday because of the snow south of SLC where she works. Strange weather pattern...

Even with the photo of your cat standing up on his hind paws and contemplating the snow bank, it just wouldn't be credible, although I'm impressed that you managed to convince the big guy to go outside for the photo op.
Although my cat was certainly not thrilled with the snow, the photo above is not of my cat.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:34 am

MAEN!

I've never stayed home from work ever because of snow unless the facility was closed. There were some people here who worked from home yesterday or came in the afternoon. I live north of SLC, but my boss was a lot later than I was coming in yesterday because of the snow south of SLC where she works. Strange weather pattern...

Although my cat was certainly not thrilled with the snow, the photo above is not of my cat.
I've worked from home a few times, but that's in part because people out here panic at the mention of more than a dusting of snow.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by kipper
I've worked from home a few times, but that's in part because people out here panic at the mention of more than a dusting of snow.
I used to laugh at that, but over the years I've realized that it's best for those who aren't used to driving in snow to not drive in snow. Also, in places where there's no snow removal equipment it can be pretty hazardous.

In the early '90s I lived in Kentucky when they got slammed with 13 or so inches of snow. The governor declared a state of emergency and shut down the Interstate Highways for a week. Most people didn't make it in to work, but I lived only about 5 miles away and drove on back roads to get there. A lot of the roads there probably started as winding cow paths that got paved, so I can't even imagine a school bus full of kids trying to navigate them in snow.

I was visiting Raleigh, NC during their "Snowmageddon" of 2014. The entire city was in gridlock with people trying to get home in the storm. Cars and trucks were sliding all over the road trying to get up minor inclines because they were flooring it instead of backing off. It was literally faster to walk home than it was to drive and there were abandoned cars on the streets for several days. They probably should have just stayed home that day, knowing what was in the forecast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.