Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: “All international widebodies” to have Premium Select by 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: “All international widebodies” to have Premium Select by 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Well, you're only talking about the A350 here. We don't know exactly what the width will be on the 777 or other a/c, and remember they are now using the domestic F 757 cabin for some TATL PS flights, and I would expect to see more of this.
The PS in the 757 cabin is only because those are domestic planes - obviously not relevant to the discussion here since it relates to international widebodies.

The 777 seat map has been released for some time. It is a 2-4-2 configuration and will be comparable to the A350 experience.

It's true that A350 PS width of 18.5"-19" is 1.5"-2" less width than domestic F, but I'm not sure if that is as "significant" as you claim (though I would certainly prefer 21").
The A350 width versus domestic first width is misleading because F seats have significantly more armrest width - you will never "bump elbows" with someone in F but will do so frequently in PS. PS is really roughly 4 inches less wide than Domestic F - not a trivial difference.

Also remember that the A350 and other wide-body PS seats coming online will have a leg-rest which domestic F does not. In all other ways they are basically the same product.
Leg rests are worthless for people above a certain height - presumably one of the key audiences for Premium Select (especially with the removal of C+).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Also not all domestic F are created equal. A350 PS beats the pants off the (admittedly outgoing) domestic 763s and arguably the older 737 variants.
How are they superior to the Domestic 763s? The seat proportions are nearly identical (indeed the 767 technically have more space per seat than the PS in A350s). Is it just a general seat comfort thing? I have not flown in a Delta Domestic 763 configuration so all I can speak to are the effective seat dimensions. Indeed, the PS config (other than being a "new" seat) will be the same 6 across you see in the domestic configured F today and would probably be the best PS seat in the fleet width-wise if they adjust the seat size to take advantage of the extra space.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
RUCs need to be usable for PS. Especially if C+ is going away.
I would not be surprised if this happens, I also wouldn't be surprised if PS becomes eligible for free complimentary (non existent) upgrades. Because with the cabin "upgrade" the J space will be drastically reduced, so GU certificates will be almost useless. In return they might give us an "enhancement" by letting us get complimentary upgrades to PS.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
I would not be surprised if this happens, I also wouldn't be surprised if PS becomes eligible for free complimentary (non existent) upgrades. Because with the cabin "upgrade" the J space will be drastically reduced, so GU certificates will be almost useless. In return they might give us an "enhancement" by letting us get complimentary upgrades to PS.
I think you are kidding yourself if you think they will give complimentary upgrades.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
They would be foolish not to keep C+ on the 763/764.

At least IMO, it comes down to this. Corporate travel is limited to Y. On a TATL, all I want is legroom, it's a short flight, I don't need anything fancy (especially on DL where they are going to give me a full open bar and a couple of solid meals in both directions). I'm willing to pay for that legroom (as C+) or pay for it through being loyal to DL to reach Gold (and Platinum when this flight lands) to get C+ ahead of time -- to me $100-200 is fair. Introduce PS at say $300 - 500, there's no chance I'm going to bite on that for the short TATL and I'm going to just suck it up and deal with a regular Y seat instead.

On the flip side, TPAC is a completely different story. PS at $300 - 500 is an attractive value prop (a little less so with the domestic downgrade) and taking out C+ is likely to push me up to PS instead of being stuck in Y for the long haul (and in some cases my companies travel policy will allow the PS if it's refundable and within $200 and the Y fare is non-refundable).

So for me it comes down to the 763/764 often do 7-9 hour flights where C+ should definitely stick where the A330/A359/777 it makes sense to stick with PS only given the 10-16 hour missions they are sent on.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the result will be GUC from Y will take you to PS
GUC from PS will take you to J

ditto for RUC on SFO/LAX-JFK. zero chance that RUC will all the sudden become "GUC light" for international travel.

in other words get ready to shell out $3K+ plus a GUC for J

i buy a lot of expensive coach tickets, so this isn't the "worst" outcome for me if true, except that i don't fly enough miles to earn GUCs

will have to see how this plays out, will be rather ironic if it drives me back to *A for INTL travel
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

ditto for RUC on SFO/LAX-JFK. zero chance that RUC will all the sudden become "GUC light" for international travel.

i buy a lot of expensive coach tickets, so this isn't the "worst" outcome for me if true, except that i don't fly enough miles to earn GUCs

will have to see how this plays out, will be rather ironic if it drives me back to *A for INTL travel

I don't think this will happen. GUC's are already limited to DM's. If anything they will continue to make DM harder to earn, like the already did with the Amex spend minimum.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Just use them on partner airlines. Can use the internet to know when it will instantly clear.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
The PS in the 757 cabin is only because those are domestic planes - obviously not relevant to the discussion here since it relates to international widebodies.

The 777 seat map has been released for some time. It is a 2-4-2 configuration and will be comparable to the A350 experience.

The A350 width versus domestic first width is misleading because F seats have significantly more armrest width - you will never "bump elbows" with someone in F but will do so frequently in PS. PS is really roughly 4 inches less wide than Domestic F - not a trivial difference.

Leg rests are worthless for people above a certain height - presumably one of the key audiences for Premium Select (especially with the removal of C+).

I mean, you can make all the points you want to about details. It's still, with a few exceptions, essentially the same product as domestic F.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

A little tidbit buried in the recent WSJ article on airline seats:

Mr. Bastian’s particular seat had 1 more inch of legroom than Mr. Parker’s, too. Delta’s 777-200s have some rows temporarily set at 32 inches of seat pitch instead of the airline’s standard 31 inches. That inch will disappear when more extra-legroom coach seating arrives, leaving standard coach all at 31 inches.
This seems to imply that Delta will be rolling out an extra legroom section (Comfort+?) on it's 777s, unless they're referring to the addition of Premium Select. I'm a little confused as to why Delta wouldn't just add the Comfort+ in right away as part of the 777 refurb if they're planning to add it down the road anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ruckzac
A little tidbit buried in the recent WSJ article on airline seats:

This seems to imply that Delta will be rolling out an extra legroom section (Comfort+?) on it's 777s, unless they're referring to the addition of Premium Select. I'm a little confused as to why Delta wouldn't just add the Comfort+ in right away as part of the 777 refurb if they're planning to add it down the road anyway.
If the quote pans out — my guess is they want to see load factor and gather additional data on PS specifically on the 777. I imagine adding C+ back in is relatively easy since it’s basically the Y seat with just a little more space between each row and the C+ “logo” and red splash across the top

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.