Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: “All international widebodies” to have Premium Select by 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: “All international widebodies” to have Premium Select by 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Not surprised if C+ goes away for international configured equip... DL wants you to pay more.
Yep. I don't believe They’re very pleased with the revenue premium is logically followed by We need to give it away to elites.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Unhappy

Originally Posted by rylan
Not surprised if C+ goes away for international configured equip... DL wants you to pay more.
Sounds like a good time to let voices be heard to DL. Personally I'd hope they keep a few rows of C+ (know that there's no way they do) since it's a big benefit removal for loyal travelers. If not, some sort of auto-upgrade with RUCs or at least bringing Y up to KE's pitch would be needed.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:16 pm

I had read an article (I think Runway Girl) that stated per Delta they were evaluating bringing back the C+ cabin to A350 and 777.
Fly_Delta_Jets and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If I were king, I’d reconfigure the A350 to keep PE, but in a smaller 2-3-2 configuration with fewer rows at a higher price. I’d then use the space regained to reintroduce a few rows of Comfort+.

Higher revenue premium for PE, more ability to justify premium inflight service items like glassware, and a supply of decent coach seats for those unwilling or unable by company policy to buy up into a different cabin.

I’m of mixed minds on the expansion of PE to the A330. Row 10/11ABHJ will be sorely missed.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
There's an article on Skift which includes the following comments from Bastian, following a mention of Delta One and Premium Select:

“And as we continue to roll out different ways to buy those products, we will see I think another exposure in demand as other customers will use their miles to sit in the cabin they want,” he added. “The ability of our frequent flyers to choose where they want to sit after they buy the ticket is really going to be something that’s going to generate a lot of great products and services for customers as well as revenue for the airline.”
It sounds like there may be a plan to push mileage upgrade awards. He specifically refers to "frequent flyers" so if they go that route, I hope there's a mileage discount for elites.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
...Especially with recent cutbacks, it's over priced, and less of a product compared to competitors.
Losing the domestic F component of a PS ticket definitely changes the calculation for me.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm curious how much of the demand has to do with "it's new, I have to try it" mentality. Especially with recent cutbacks, it's over priced, and less of a product compared to competitors.
I spent a lot of cash on BR for the exact reason that they had PE when the other reaonably priced airlines did not. There is a huge difference (to me) between PE and Y+. For me, the 2-4-2 vs 3-3-3 is THE factor in the ability to survive a TPAC flight.

Of course, if the product is priced to high that is an issue. I can buy TPAC C AI RT for around $3K. DL's PE has to come in substantially cheaper.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm surprised the 767 is getting it. I guess they will have a different seat or they will all be retired by 2021.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
My primary complaint with the current implementation is 2-4-2 on the A350 should have been 2-3-2. (2-4-2 on the 777 is industry standard.) The A330s should go to 2-3-2 I would hope. Are the 767s still going to be around at that point? If so I'd guess 2-2-2?
How many airlines do 2-3-2 on an A350? I see Singapore is 2-4-2 and Lufthansa is 2-3-2 but haven't looked at all the other operators.
ETA - I see CX and VN are 2-4-2 while China Airlines is 2-3-2. Seems skewed toward 2-4-2.

I think the A350 width sits between the A330 (2-3-2 traditionally) and 777. (2-4-2 traditionally).

But practically speaking is the seat really any narrower? Or did they just take aisle space? Seatguru measurements don't even really seem to tie to the number of seats across (e.g., 20" for CX at 8-abreast vs. 18" for LH at 7-abreast).

Last edited by ijgordon; Jul 12, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Assuming they do get rid of C+ (which is a safe assumption), this is a huge blow for me. It honestly takes away most of the value that I got from Delta - getting C+ on long-haul flights for leisure travel (as I rarely get it on domestic flights).

This essentially eliminates Delta as an international long haul carrier for me. My 4 hours on a domestic flight in Y- is enough - I can't do 8+ hours in Y- without losing my mind. If I am gong to have to pay for Premium Economy, I can find much cheaper and higher quality options than Delta (at least flying out of Atlanta given the Delta premium there)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

Would sure seem like it.
Does it have to? AA kept "MCE" when they implemented premium economy.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Does it have to? AA kept "MCE" when they implemented premium economy.
Both the A350 layout and 777 refurbs don't have it. If there was any plane with the space for a four "cabin" layout it would be those.. and they don't.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Bummer. They could really personalize everyone's preferred experience if C+ is offered. There are some people who are willing to pay for more legroom, but not pay for PS.

However, if they do offer PS on all their international routes, it would make me want to actually use DL more because it's the minimum product I would consider for international flights.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ethernal
Both the A350 layout and 777 refurbs don't have it. If there was any plane with the space for a four "cabin" layout it would be those.. and they don't.
Makes sense since DL treats C+ as a separate product (AA still just charges for seat assignments into MCE) and that would be a lot of options (5 cabins/selections if BE ever goes international like AA). Just a bummer because as SJCORDLDR said, some folks just want the legroom. Others probably can only afford the legroom and not the whole PE experience.

Years ago I predicted that we were just inflating the experiences. D1 is now "First" (aisle access, lay flat), PS is "Business" (more space but not lay flat) and Economy is economy but with less legroom.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
(5 cabins/selections if BE ever goes international like AA).
Not super relevant to the thread but Delta has had BE on tons of its international routes for a while. It is route specific but the buy-up premium to MC can be quite significant (usually $100+ - I have seen it as much as $160).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.