Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: “All international widebodies” to have Premium Select by 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: “All international widebodies” to have Premium Select by 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ethernal
Both the A350 layout and 777 refurbs don't have it. If there was any plane with the space for a four "cabin" layout it would be those.. and they don't.

except that C+ is not really a separate cabin. If VS can have extra-legroom seats, I don't see why DL couldn't keep a few rows of C+.
As others have pointed out, not having C+ on long-range flights is a bad blow for all Medallions (DM only get a maximum of 4 GUC/year). In addition it is also a blow for "kettles" as they lose the option of paying a nominal sum to upgrade to a better seat.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Years ago I predicted that we were just inflating the experiences. D1 is now "First" (aisle access, lay flat), PS is "Business" (more space but not lay flat) and Economy is economy but with less legroom.
Yep, we're full-circle to traditional 3-class, just with different names.
SJC ORD LDR and PV_Premier like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by thesaints
except that C+ is not really a separate cabin. If VS can have extra-legroom seats, I don't see why DL couldn't keep a few rows of C+.
As others have pointed out, not having C+ on long-range flights is a bad blow for all Medallions (DM only get a maximum of 4 GUC/year). In addition it is also a blow for "kettles" as they lose the option of paying a nominal sum to upgrade to a better seat.
I agree in principle (which is why I put cabin in quotes) - but with the way that Delta markets Comfort+ it is a separate cabin... and that matters because Delta doesn't want to have too many options for booking.

If Delta kept Comfort+, Delta would have five options on international flights:
  • Basic Economy
  • Main Cabin
  • Comfort+
  • Premium Select
  • Delta One
My bet is that marketing believes that having five options will only deter customers (too many options leads to lower buy rates because people feel less comfortable they are making the right decision). Delta probably also doesn't want to try to do pricing analytics and revenue management on five different fare classes (especially with Comfort+ "stuck in the middle" and losing a lot of the capacity to at-booking Medallion upgrades). This is also ignoring the difficulty of marketing these seats (presumably outside of delta.com they would have to go back to marketing C+ as a seat sell-up only - Delta is already taking up all the class codes possible).

In addition, due to the high Medallion penetration on those seats, Delta probably loses money per square foot of space on them versus adding an extra row of regular Y seats.

Reality is that this is just another big devaluation of Medallion benefits. Aggressive FCM and Basic Economy was a big hit to Medallions (especially domestically), and this is another big hit (internationally). Combined with the shrinking D1 cabins and terrible b-class SkyMiles redemption, I don't really know what Medallion status really gets you.

In practice I get more benefits out of the United points and benefits I earn my UA Gold stauts and from my CSR than I do as a Diamond Medallion.

Last edited by ethernal; Jul 12, 2018 at 6:46 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I get the frustration about C+ but I am personally VERY happy to see the expansion of true W class across the DL fleet and across multiple airlines. Remember that many of us have been asking for this for years. This is a win because this is a comfortable way to cross the ocean that many more people can actually afford.

To me C+ is just a coach seat and I can get the same thing from an exit row or bulk head. If they keep main cabin pitch at 31" and maybe 32" there's really no issue there.

My guess is that the next shoe to drop will be elimination of domestic F on short haul/medium haul routes and Euro style moveable wall J called C+ put in it's place.
exwannabe and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:28 pm

This is about two things

One is revenue. There are many companies who will not pay for business class. This is why Delta started reducing the size of J cabins on many routes. However, there is the possibility those same companies might consider paying for W.

The second is consuming miles (and reducing DL's financial liability carrying those miles). There are plenty of business travelers who would use their miles to upgrade a company paid Y ticket to W.

An airline is entirely in the business of revenue management.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesaints
Ever purchased a VS "extra legroom" Economy Delight seat? I've flown it a few times and the FA's do nothing to protect it. In fact, they tell the pax in regular economy that they can go ahead and take any open seat in Economy Delight as soon as boarding is finished.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I get the frustration about C+ but I am personally VERY happy to see the expansion of true W class across the DL fleet and across multiple airlines. Remember that many of us have been asking for this for years. This is a win because this is a comfortable way to cross the ocean that many more people can actually afford.

To me C+ is just a coach seat and I can get the same thing from an exit row or bulk head. If they keep main cabin pitch at 31" and maybe 32" there's really no issue there.

My guess is that the next shoe to drop will be elimination of domestic F on short haul/medium haul routes and Euro style moveable wall J called C+ put in it's place.
I agree with this, C+ on INTL flights isn’t that important to me. Everyone gets free booze on INTL flights and the cabin service is basically identical with the only difference being 3 more inches of legroom. If you really want the extra legroom, the exit row is still always an option. I will gladly sacrifice the loss of C+ for a true Y+ experience on INTL flights.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I really liked C+ on the long hauls. I haven't tried PS but for 100-200 each way I would do it. However I am seeing MUCH more than that on many routes that I have looked at. As others have said some business class offerings are cheaper or similar priced. So what is the point of the PS?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:25 pm

3" and an extra 2" recline is a significant difference. 31" seat pitch is unacceptable for anyone above a certain height. 34"-35" is much more tolerable.

Unlikely - the US air travel market is very different than the EU for structural reasons. F isn't going away.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ijgordon
But practically speaking is the seat really any narrower? Or did they just take aisle space? Seatguru measurements don't even really seem to tie to the number of seats across (e.g., 20" for CX at 8-abreast vs. 18" for LH at 7-abreast).
From my perspective it's not so much about the width of the seat as how crowded the cabin feels. With 2-3-2, there's 1 middle seat, and that person has two equivalent exit routes (ie: if either aisle person gets up, the middle can get up easily). There's also less contention for OHB and toilets, and service goes faster (since either FA can serve the one middle). When flying W, I (eg) try to avoid the AF 777 in favor of the A330, A380, and 787 where possible.

If Delta kept Comfort+, Delta would have five options on international flights:
  • Basic Economy
  • Main Cabin
  • Comfort+
  • Premium Select
  • Delta One
My bet is that marketing believes that having five options will only deter customers (too many options leads to lower buy rates because people feel less comfortable they are making the right decision).
JV Partner VS has five options on international flights: Economy Light (BE), Economy Classic (MC), Economy Delight (Y+), Premium Economy (PS), and Upper Class (D1).

JV Partner AF has six options on international flights: Economy (fee for seat selection), Economy Flex (includes seat selection), Seat Plus/Duo/etc (Economy fare + fee for "good" seats), Premium Economy, Business, and La Premiere.

If DL doesn't offer C+, it because the incremental income they expect doesn't justify the cost.

Originally Posted by meh130
One is revenue. There are many companies who will not pay for business class. This is why Delta started reducing the size of J cabins on many routes. However, there is the possibility those same companies might consider paying for W.

The second is consuming miles (and reducing DL's financial liability carrying those miles). There are plenty of business travelers who would use their miles to upgrade a company paid Y ticket to W.

An airline is entirely in the business of revenue management.
I agree with your overall point, but the OP said it all: "They’re very pleased with the revenue premium". People are paying for the seats, and at a rate that justifies the (moderately) increased space and the (moderately) increased service.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:10 am

3" and an extra 2" recline is a significant difference. 31" seat pitch is unacceptable for anyone above a certain height. 34"-35" is much more tolerable.
Sure, I like the extra few inches, but in reality it's all terribly uncomfortable for a long haul flight. My point is that I would much rather have the option to purchase a product that is a) actually comfortable for a long haul flight and b) reasonably affordable (and I know that spending $2K is not affordable for all, but it's much more doable than $6K for D1).

C+ is just not nice enough to really justify $100+ each way over coach pricing for most people, so my guess is that's it's mostly a free giveaway to PM/DM's and not a great revenue generator because at the end of the day it's just a coach seat that most are not willing to pay extra to sit in.

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
haven't tried PS but for 100-200 each way I would do it. However I am seeing MUCH more than that on many routes that I have looked at. As others have said some business class offerings are cheaper or similar priced. So what is the point of the PS?
If you are comparing the price of PS to highly discounted advanced purchase fares than yes, it's going to be a lot more. But I don't think the target customer is someone who is buying $600 TATL tickets 4 months in advance of travel. Rather, I think the target customer is someone who can spend $1800-$2200 instead of $1400 for a business trip. It's just not going to, on any regular basis, be just 100-200 more each way. That's C+ pricing. Remember, this is a product that is essentially the same as domestic F.

My spouse works for a tech startup and because the company is not yet profitable, the travel policy is rather economical, and does not permit J class travel regardless of trip length except for C-suite execs. However, I can absolutely see them permitting permitting W travel for overseas trips as a reasonable compromise.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jul 13, 2018 at 12:17 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by bennos
JV Partner VS has five options on international flights: Economy Light (BE), Economy Classic (MC), Economy Delight (Y+), Premium Economy (PS), and Upper Class (D1).

JV Partner AF has six options on international flights: Economy (fee for seat selection), Economy Flex (includes seat selection), Seat Plus/Duo/etc (Economy fare + fee for "good" seats), Premium Economy, Business, and La Premiere.
And yet if I search for AF fares on Delta.com they reduce the option set when showing results - even on planes configured with more options. So my point remains.

If DL doesn't offer C+, it because the incremental income they expect doesn't justify the cost.
I think we're saying the same thing.

C+ is just not nice enough to really justify $100+ each way over coach pricing for most people, so my guess is that's it's mostly a free giveaway to PM/DM's and not a great revenue generator because at the end of the day it's just a coach seat that most are not willing to pay extra to sit in.
Which is what I said in an earlier part of the thread: let's call it what it is, which is a huge devaluation of Medallion benefits. We all know most C+ seats went to PM/DM and Delta is eliminating that as an option for Medallions.

If you are comparing the price of PS to highly discounted advanced purchase fares than yes, it's going to be a lot more. But I don't think the target customer is someone who is buying $600 TATL tickets 4 months in advance of travel. Rather, I think the target customer is someone who can spend $1800-$2200 instead of $1400 for a business trip. It's just not going to, on any regular basis, be just 100-200 more each way. That's C+ pricing. Remember, this is a product that is essentially the same as domestic F.
It's hard to say that this product is Domestic F - it would require significantly greater seat width to call it an F-equivalent. From a cost profile perspective, PS only costs 36% more plane square footage to Delta than a Y seat while an F seat costs Delta 85% more plane square footage. PS is equivalent to a 3-2 arrangement on a 3-3 narrowbody. If they've convinced you the two seats are equivalent, they've done a bang up marketing job.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Bummer. They could really personalize everyone's preferred experience if C+ is offered. There are some people who are willing to pay for more legroom, but not pay for PS.

However, if they do offer PS on all their international routes, it would make me want to actually use DL more because it's the minimum product I would consider for international flights.
I agree with this. PS is a nice compromise for more comfort and better sleep, especially for business's that aren't close to springing for J.

Keith
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:40 am

It's hard to say that this product is Domestic F - it would require significantly greater seat width to call it an F-equivalent. From a cost profile perspective, PS only costs 36% more plane square footage to Delta than a Y seat while an F seat costs Delta 85% more plane square footage. PS is equivalent to a 3-2 arrangement on a 3-3 narrowbody. If they've convinced you the two seats are equivalent, they've done a bang up marketing job.
Well, you're only talking about the A350 here. We don't know exactly what the width will be on the 777 or other a/c, and remember they are now using the domestic F 757 cabin for some TATL PS flights, and I would expect to see more of this. It's true that A350 PS width of 18.5"-19" is 1.5"-2" less width than domestic F, but I'm not sure if that is as "significant" as you claim (though I would certainly prefer 21"). Also remember that the A350 and other wide-body PS seats coming online will have a leg-rest which domestic F does not. In all other ways they are basically the same product.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Well, you're only talking about the A350 here. We don't know exactly what the width will be on the 777 or other a/c, and remember they are now using the domestic F 757 cabin for some TATL PS flights, and I would expect to see more of this. It's true that A350 PS width of 18.5"-19" is 1.5"-2" less width than domestic F, but I'm not sure if that is as "significant" as you claim (though I would certainly prefer 21"). Also remember that the A350 and other wide-body PS seats coming online will have a leg-rest which domestic F does not. In all other ways they are basically the same product.
Also not all domestic F are created equal. A350 PS beats the pants off the (admittedly outgoing) domestic 763s and arguably the older 737 variants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.