Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: “All international widebodies” to have Premium Select by 2021

Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

They’re very pleased with the revenue premium and will implement it across the wide body fleet by the end of 2021, according to Glen Hauenstein on the earnings call today.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I'll ask the obvious: does this mean the end of C+?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by manacit
Internationally and on JFK-SFO/LAX (since majority are widebody) I'm afraid so. Would be strange to have C+ on some and not others with PS.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by manacit
Would sure seem like it.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:43 am

If so, it probably means the end of my flying Delta internationally. For the price of PS I can fly Bus on other airlines for most international routes I fly.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: DL-PM
Quite disappointing that this means the end of C+ on longhaul flights, unless they decide to allow RUCs or upgrades to PS.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
They’re very pleased with the revenue premium and will implement it across the wide body fleet by the end of 2021, according to Glen Hauenstein on the earnings call today.
I'm curious how much of the demand has to do with "it's new, I have to try it" mentality. Especially with recent cutbacks, it's over priced, and less of a product compared to competitors.
KevinDTW and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
That's interesting. Means 764, 763, and A330 are going in for renovation soon. I would stay tuned for Medallion benefits, since there is no way they can continue with the current policies if they remove C+.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:52 am

Y on long-haul international already get a meal and complimentary alcoholic beverages, so the only difference with Comfort+ is legroom and recline, right? Which isn’t to say that those aren’t important, but I think Delta would argue that they’re pushing for more comfort in Y across the board, for example, keeping 9 abreast seating with the 777 reconfig. To be clear, I’m not defending Delta’s decision, just playing devil’s advocate.

I wonder if Delta will introduce some degree of upgrade program for PS when they roll it out fleetwide.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Overall I consider this good news that might get me back on DL metal where I've gone to other carriers. (Right now the A350 options are generally too inconvenient for me.)

My primary complaint with the current implementation is 2-4-2 on the A350 should have been 2-3-2. (2-4-2 on the 777 is industry standard.) The A330s should go to 2-3-2 I would hope. Are the 767s still going to be around at that point? If so I'd guess 2-2-2?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

C+ on international has a modest amount of additional recline (up to 50% == extra 2 inches). I have a hard time detecting it. Much more noticeable in KL Economy Comfort where it is up to 100% == extra 4 inches).
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
RUCs need to be usable for PS. Especially if C+ is going away.
BenA likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Internationally and on JFK-SFO/LAX (since majority are widebody) I'm afraid so. Would be strange to have C+ on some and not others with PS.
VS recently introduced their own versions of Basic Economy and C+ and the general trend (especially to europe) has been to align their products across the board. Taking C+ out would go directly against that.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not surprised if C+ goes away for international configured equip... DL wants you to pay more.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by rylan
Not surprised if C+ goes away for international configured equip... DL wants you to pay more.
But are they going to be able to fill enough PS seats at that premium? C+ was regularly $100 (or less, sometimes) one-way TATL. At that price point, it's an impulse buy, especially if you decide to upgrade from Y just on one leg. $100 is throwaway money for probably most people flying TATL or TPAC. At multiple hundreds of dollars extra one-way for PS vs Y, I can't imagine you're getting nearly as many impulse purchases. So then you're hoping you can attract enough customers who are specifically for a true Y+ product. If you can't, then you'll have spent a much of money on refurbishing the cabin to install PS and tear out C+, only to find that many of the butts in the PS seats end up being unpaid upgrades (be it op-ups or upgrades offered to various medallions).

That said, I'm sure Delta has crunched the numbers and believes the demand is there to support this change. I'm less than thrilled about it, as my sole experience with PS was awful. Bulkhead seats on the A350 are unacceptably narrow, whereas bulkhead C+ on the A330 is extremely comfortable as far as economy seats go (at least in my opinion). Based on my lousy experience with PS, I won't be purchasing it again unless the seats are completely revamped. And even then I don't know that I find sufficient value in them to justify the additional cost as a non-business traveler.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.