Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SAT GA gate checking my bag.....No soup for you!

SAT GA gate checking my bag.....No soup for you!

Reply

Old Jul 27, 18, 3:54 am
  #1  
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 604
SAT GA gate checking my bag.....No soup for you!

So I was traveling heavy today and approached GA about gate checking my bag. Thought it would be nice of me to bring my bag up early before GA started making continuous announcements about how they will run out of overhead space. This was about 25 minutes before boarding. I got the classic Delta GA scold and the “what the hell do you think you are doing look”. So FYI do not volunteer your bag until the screeching over the PA system asking for bags starts!

Tried again to gate check my bag before boarding and was promptly told that NO gate checking will be happening. Come on Delta, your stories do not align.

Last edited by SSF556; Jul 27, 18 at 4:14 am
SSF556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 6:59 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,076
What story are you looking to have align? I typically only hear announcements about gate checking after the GA looks at the flight manifests and determines that the flight is going to be "full" and as such likely run of overhead baggage space. Sounds like your flight was not a full flight so there was no need to preemptively ask for people to check their bags regardless if there was an announcement or not.
Often1 likes this.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 7:02 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,316
So what happened? Were the OH's full when you boarded? If not, the GA made the right judgment. Even if full, it's all just an estimate.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 7:36 am
  #4  
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 604
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
What story are you looking to have align? I typically only hear announcements about gate checking after the GA looks at the flight manifests and determines that the flight is going to be "full" and as such likely run of overhead baggage space. Sounds like your flight was not a full flight so there was no need to preemptively ask for people to check their bags regardless if there was an announcement or not.
What story? Are you living under a rock? The excessive and often annoying continous harping by the GA about overhead space on every domestic Delta flight being full on the PA system for every Delta flight in the last 2 years.

FYI ...OH spce was full and several bags got gate checked.
Renes Points likes this.
SSF556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 7:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Posts: 1,413
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post

What story? Are you living under a rock? The excessive and often annoying continous harping by the GA about overhead space on every domestic Delta flight being full on the PA system for every Delta flight in the last 2 years.

FYI ...OH spce was full and several bags got gate checked.
Well they don't make that announcement on every Delta flight. But you in fact know that, because for the flight you started the post about, according to you, they didn't make that announcement...

And the fact that they make the announcement on most flights doesn't mean they have to gate check baggage on all flights. So, the "story" that they weren't going to preemptively gate check bags on your flight is not at odds with the "story" that they make the announcements to gate check bags on most flights.

And the fact that they eventually had to gate check bags doesn't mean it was a certainty when the GA told you they weren't gate checking bags. Something makes me think you went up to the GA with a "before you make that annoying announcement that everyone has gotten so tired of regarding gate checking bags, can you gate check my bag so maybe you don't have to annoy everyone here" type statement, and that's why you got the look and attitude you got.
jetsfan92588 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 7:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
Posts: 560
Do you have free checked bags through status or credit card? Because if I were a GA, I might have a tendency to avoid gate checking bags from the people who come before we even say we need to do so. I imagine there are some people who try to game the system by not checking downstairs when they would have to pay, but go right to the gate and get it "free". Otherwise, why didn't you just check the bag at check-in?
dulciusexasperis and Statman like this.
paterwdb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:19 am
  #7  
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 604
Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
Do you have free checked bags through status or credit card? Because if I were a GA, I might have a tendency to avoid gate checking bags from the people who come before we even say we need to do so. I imagine there are some people who try to game the system by not checking downstairs when they would have to pay, but go right to the gate and get it "free". Otherwise, why didn't you just check the bag at check-in?
I do have free checked bags. Delta allowing people to gate check bags for free is not my problem.
SSF556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:21 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: BNA
Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
I got the classic Delta GA scold and the “what the hell do you think you are doing look”.
That is funny right there.

I try and avoid most GA... for that very reason.
Renes Points likes this.
defrosted is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:27 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: From MCI, now living in DFW
Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
Do you have free checked bags through status or credit card? Because if I were a GA, I might have a tendency to avoid gate checking bags from the people who come before we even say we need to do so. I imagine there are some people who try to game the system by not checking downstairs when they would have to pay, but go right to the gate and get it "free". Otherwise, why didn't you just check the bag at check-in?
If the OP packed a carry-on compliant bag that cleared TSA screening, then offered to gate check it, OP is not availing of the same checked baggage service that DL charges $25+ for at the counter, IMO. Most people check their luggage because the size/number/contents are not acceptable as carry-on luggage, not because they're ok with carrying it through security and the airport, but don't want to carry it on & off the plane and would rather wait at the destination to retrieve it at bag claim. I've had situations where I'm on biz-heavy flights on Monday mornings and know that *everyone* has a roller bag and *everyone* is top-tier elite, so in those cases I've sometimes gone ahead and checked my bag, but as OP mentioned, those are the flights with ubiquitous PA announcements asking or forcing people to gate check for free anyway.
jetsfan92588 likes this.
captaink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:45 am
  #10  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
SO you tried to get your bag checked for free and things didn't go super smoothly?
pvn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:57 am
  #11  
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 604
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
SO you tried to get your bag checked for free and things didn't go super smoothly?
status allows me free checked bags. Given what I have heard yelled at me for the last 2 years at the gate about overhead storage I volunteered my bag to be gate checked to GSP. GA was like NO. Which surpised me. Also I was told this by both GAs, so there was some coordinating. If I would have known GA was going to deny me a gate check I would have counter checked.

PSA. For casual bag checkers do not rely on gate check.
SSF556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 9:05 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: lax - mci - bos
Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
Posts: 239
Personally, I appreciate the data point and am surprised that you were shot down. I’m not saying it’s worth a complaint and attempt at compensation but it’s interesting to me. I fly every two weeks and I hear the request to gate check carryons more often than not. I assumed it was a Delta policy and that the agent wasn’t really basing their announcement on equipment or load factors given that most flights are full these days anyway.

My wife and kids travel without me 3-4 times each year (usually on my miles) and as a group of no status flyers, I always suggest she gate check bags that she doesn’t want to pay for and/or can’t easily carry through a connection. She’s never been denied but I also never thought it was a possibility. Now I know.
defrosted likes this.

Last edited by nethak; Jul 27, 18 at 3:58 pm
nethak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 9:36 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post


status allows me free checked bags. Given what I have heard yelled at me for the last 2 years at the gate about overhead storage I volunteered my bag to be gate checked to GSP. GA was like NO. Which surpised me. Also I was told this by both GAs, so there was some coordinating. If I would have known GA was going to deny me a gate check I would have counter checked.

PSA. For casual bag checkers do not rely on gate check.
If that is the case, I'm struggling to understand why you didn't just check the bag to begin with. There seems to be no logic in your behaviour. The behaviour of the GA on the other hand seems quite logical. They hadn't decided whether they believed gate checking would be necessary and they are understandably wary of people who don't want to pay to check a bag and try to get around that by gate checking. What would have told them that you were not one of those people?

What is a 'casual bag checker' and who 'relys on gate checking"?
Statman and emrdoc like this.
dulciusexasperis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 9:49 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,271
As an aside, it would be interesting to hear how you connect the, "no soup for you" in your title, to the occurrence you describe. It appears you are referring to Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. In that story, Oliver was refused more soup, which he asked for because he was still hungry after having had one bowl of soup. How do you connect to that?

It sounds like you have a very unique way of viewing what consider to be a logical connection.
dulciusexasperis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 9:53 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: BNA
Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
What is a 'casual bag checker' and who 'relys on gate checking"?
Not me... but maybe someone that missed counter check cutoff?

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
As an aside, it would be interesting to hear how you connect the, "no soup for you" in your title, to the occurrence you describe. It appears you are referring to Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist.
You are kidding right? My guess is this is clearly a Seinfeld reference.
defrosted is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread