Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
12? I thought there were only 5 round-trip flights per year on the DCA-MIA route.

Fortunately I only want to travel that route on Saturdays in March so it works for me.
Looks like your right. MIA-DCA dosen’t run on the weekends in Summer like MCO-DCA.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
DTW -HNL

For a hub I’m shocked they only have a direct through LAX. I can’t imagine it why it’s not scheduled service.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by P50andPilot
For a hub I’m shocked they only have a direct through LAX. I can’t imagine it why it’s not scheduled service.
I would love to see it too (even put it on my list upthread), and DL has run this route before, but I think it has to do with the fact that DL often doesn't fly over hubs unless there's a significant amount of O&D or unique hub traffic to otherwise sustain the route.. O&D for DTW-HNL must not be enough to profitably sustain the route, while DTW offers very little for connections, especially for Hawaii bound traffic, that can't already be covered by ATL/MSP/SLC/SEA/LAX-HNL.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by WWads
I'll go out on a limb and say that DL won't grow that much more at SEA, even when the new customs facility is finished. I think the smart play is to expand at LAX, where the O/D market is much stronger. The failure of SEA-HKG is not a good look for DL's SEA hub.
I think they have several related problems that will constrain growth at SEA.

They can’t add any more international flights until the new International Arrivals Facility is complete.
Once that is done, they can’t add more international flights without adding more domestic flights to feed them.
They can’t add more domestic flights because of gate shortages as SEA.

If more gates are added at Seattle, and they can increase the domestic feed, then there could be growth for Delta - the local market can support it.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:12 pm

I would like DTW-BLR. None of the ME3 fly from DTW, so I'm forced to take DL\AF\9W via CDG\AMS to BLR, or EK\EY to DXB\AUH, depending on my travels.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:13 pm

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
They have seasonal nonstop DTW-HNL... just like JFK-HNL. Always full.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I would love to see it too (even put it on my list upthread), and DL has run this route before, but I think it has to do with the fact that DL often doesn't fly over hubs unless there's a significant amount of O&D or unique hub traffic to otherwise sustain the route.. O&D for DTW-HNL must not be enough to profitably sustain the route, while DTW offers very little for connections, especially for Hawaii bound traffic, that can't already be covered by ATL/MSP/SLC/SEA/LAX-HNL.
It is a seasonal non-stop route just like their JFK-HNL routes. They do not have the aircraft to make it year-round. Most of the B767 are used to serve T-Atl destinations. So, we will have to find the aircraft from the opposite seasonal cycle for the route.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kkua
They have seasonal nonstop DTW-HNL... just like JFK-HNL. Always full.
There are no non-stops at all during the year from DTW-HNL. There are some bogus "direct" flights that have the same flight number and a stop in LAX, but a change in aircraft and a 3 hour layover.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Besides the SEA-RNO which I mentioned previously,
I’d also like to see SEA-ALW, but that obviously won’t happen.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kkua
It is a seasonal non-stop route just like their JFK-HNL routes. They do not have the aircraft to make it year-round. Most of the B767 are used to serve T-Atl destinations. So, we will have to find the aircraft from the opposite seasonal cycle for the route.
There's a 1 stop via LAX but no nonstop on DTW-HNL that I'm aware of, even for as a short seasonal.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

I am still shocked that they have not figured out how to do 3 or 4 non stop LAX-ORD, if only to service corporate contracts. It’s the only time I have to fly any other carrier out of LAX.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mjh156
I am still shocked that they have not figured out how to do 3 or 4 non stop LAX-ORD, if only to service corporate contracts. It’s the only time I have to fly any other carrier out of LAX.

DL doesn't seem to like going up against other airlines in heavily saturated markets. Now if they commit to LAX as their new TPAC gateway, I could see ORD-LAX happening.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:58 pm
BLT

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
BSB

I hate the GOL partnership. I wish Delta would start flying from the US directly to Brasilia. Now you have to go through Sao Paulo or Rio. When you come back to the US you go through through Rio or Sao Paulo You can't check in for the overseas flight in Brasilia at GOL and get a boarding pass on the Delta flight into the US. You have to exit the secure area and go to the Delta check in desk in the terminal to check-in and get a boarding pass. Sometimes you even have to get your bags and take them to the Delta check in to re-check them to the US.
AA has a non-stop from Miami to Brasilia and I am going to have to start taking that one. I hate to fly AA, but really? GOL can't check me in and give me a boarding pass in Brasilia?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
12? I thought there were only 5 round-trip flights per year on the DCA-MIA route.
I flew that RT once a month for its entire lifetime. IIRC there were three flights a day. I guess that they underestimated the competition or overestimated the market since they started with 737s, went right over to 319s, and then after a bit, to RJs. When they did the LGA & DCA slot swap, that was one of the first to get the axe.
Fortunately I only want to travel that route on Saturdays in March so it works for me.
Have they resumed flying that route on Saturdays? Except in emergencies, I seldom fly business routes on Saturday so I am out of touch.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by monitor
I flew that RT once a month for its entire lifetime. IIRC there were three flights a day. I guess that they underestimated the competition or overestimated the market since they started with 737s, went right over to 319s, and then after a bit, to RJs. When they did the LGA & DCA slot swap, that was one of the first to get the axe.
Have they resumed flying that route on Saturdays? Except in emergencies, I seldom fly business routes on Saturday so I am out of touch.
Yes, but just on Saturdays in March. I didn't take the flight this year, more due to cost than scheduling reasons though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.