Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta
They gave up on HKG. You have to connect and take China Eastern in Shanghai or Korean Air out of Incheon.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Delta
If all the good people reading this who want direct to HKG on Delta planes would write a letter maybe Mr. Bastian will build a "better airline", not just a "bigger airline". You can't be world class and not fly to HKG!!!! Connections on other airlines don't count.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No if people were willing to pay DL would be willing to fly to HKG. Problem is that right now that's not the case.
TetonSig, Duke787 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Do you want "your" airline to declare bankruptcy every 10-15 years?
Ed and the management are doing everything they can to prevent that, and keep a consistent, market-leading product for our lifetimes.
This is the definition of a better airline.

AA has 100 more planes and carries more passengers than DL.
UA has more employees than DL.
Yet DL has a higher market cap, total asset value and is more profitable than both.

So losing $20 million a year on SEA-HKG doesn't fit that. I got that figure from another board, but if true, it would be erased by charging $109 more per seat each way (assuming 500 seats round trip daily). Most TPAC markets cannot bear that right now but TATL markets and TATL to Africa can. So DL expands there.

And yes, I wish they fley to HKG too. Guess my next trip will incorporate a weekend in London before continuing on VS.
TetonSig and Duke787 like this.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; May 23, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old May 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
And yes, I wish they fley to HKG too. Guess my next trip will incorporate a weekend in London before continuing on VS.
What's wrong with KE, given that you're willing to have a stop somewhere along the way?
Old May 23, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What's wrong with KE, given that you're willing to have a stop somewhere along the way?
Nothing at all. It's been longer between trips to London than Seoul for me.
Take KE back and make it a "round the world" trip.

That being said, I think DL returns to HKG when they are pretty sure they can at least break even on the route for a few years.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
You can only upgrade KE, for example using GUCs, from expensive fare classes. Also, the KE lounge in the new ICN T2 is horrid.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can only upgrade KE, for example using GUCs, from expensive fare classes. Also, the KE lounge in the new ICN T2 is horrid.
I was at the KE lounge in ICN T2 (both east and west) this past November. I found them functional and not horrid (to be fair, on the return to the US I was there in the evening and it was full, though not crowded... wait for the shower wasn't bad, about 15-20 minutes I think) but I realize this is all very subjective. The food choices were OK, nothing spectacular. I don't drink alcohol so I can't opine on the wine/beer/liquor offerings.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
The KE lounges in ICN are better than the SC at NRT, that's for sure.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
The KE lounges in ICN are better than the SC at NRT, that's for sure.
In what aspect?

I think the only aspect I recall the KE lounges at ICN being better than the skyclub at NRT was that they had a relatively expensive scotch or cognac (I have forgotten which in the two years since my last trip). Comfort of seating, food options, other wine/beer/liquor options, and cleanliness (especially of the restrooms at the KE lounge) left a lot to be desired. Is it better than sitting in the terminal, yes, but every DL skyclub I have been to has been better than the KE lounges (and that is not saying much considering the mediocre (but fine for the location) skyclubs at some of the smaller airports.

NRT is clean, comfortable, has good views, great employees and a good variety of good food options.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
In what aspect?

I think the only aspect I recall the KE lounges at ICN being better than the skyclub at NRT was that they had a relatively expensive scotch or cognac (I have forgotten which in the two years since my last trip). Comfort of seating, food options, other wine/beer/liquor options, and cleanliness (especially of the restrooms at the KE lounge) left a lot to be desired. Is it better than sitting in the terminal, yes, but every DL skyclub I have been to has been better than the KE lounges (and that is not saying much considering the mediocre (but fine for the location) skyclubs at some of the smaller airports.

NRT is clean, comfortable, has good views, great employees and a good variety of good food options.
I think KE got new lounges since the last time you visited ICN, assuming it's been two years as mentioned above.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by The Situation
In what aspect?

The new lounges at T2 are more spacious, modern and offer food on par with the NRT SC (rice, soup, meats, cup noodles, snacks). Maybe you're referring to the T1 lounges, which are mediocre?

As someone based in TYO, I've never been impressed with the NRT SC, even before the newly remodeled US SCs like SFO, SEA and JFK popped up. It certainly pales in comparison to JAL and ANA's offerings. Therefore, even though Y fares don't get any lounge access at HND, I've always chosen it over NRT with maybe 3 or 4 exceptions in the last 8 years, and none during the last 3. The SC in NRT isn't worth it.
angra likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
That being said, I think DL returns to HKG when they are pretty sure they can at least break even on the route for a few years.
DL can...As soon as DL starts the HKG with appropriate hubs, i.e. LAX/JFK.

Seriously, when AA can get a piece of the pie from CX at LAX, I don't see why DL can't.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by garykung
DL can...As soon as DL starts the HKG with appropriate hubs, i.e. LAX/JFK.

Seriously, when AA can get a piece of the pie from CX at LAX, I don't see why DL can't.
??? AA and CX are alliance partners, and can sell onward connections including each other’s flights at either end of the trip. Delta has no partner in Hong Kong, so can only compete for local O&D traffic.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
The new lounges at T2 are more spacious, modern and offer food on par with the NRT SC (rice, soup, meats, cup noodles, snacks). Maybe you're referring to the T1 lounges, which are mediocre?

As someone based in TYO, I've never been impressed with the NRT SC, even before the newly remodeled US SCs like SFO, SEA and JFK popped up. It certainly pales in comparison to JAL and ANA's offerings. Therefore, even though Y fares don't get any lounge access at HND, I've always chosen it over NRT with maybe 3 or 4 exceptions in the last 8 years, and none during the last 3. The SC in NRT isn't worth it.
For me, the dealbreaker has been showers. Until recently, HND departures were inconveniently late at night, and after a full day in a usually sweaty Tokyo, it was important to be guaranteed a shower before stepping on a 10+ hour flight home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.