Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:47 am

to everyone fearing that DL would end the HKG flight early, doesent seem to be happening. Im on the flight back tomorrow and the plane is on their way to HKG now

gonna take some pictures if i notice anything different at HKIA for these final two days.

now the real question is how do i get to HKG next month on a plane with WIFI with a reasonable connection that i can book directly on delta's website.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by phatcow
to everyone fearing that DL would end the HKG flight early, doesent seem to be happening. Im on the flight back tomorrow and the plane is on their way to HKG now

gonna take some pictures if i notice anything different at HKIA for these final two days.

now the real question is how do i get to HKG next month on a plane with WIFI with a reasonable connection that i can book directly on delta's website.
Why does it have to be on dl.com?
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why does it have to be on dl.com?
my understanding is that if it is booked on 006 stock, you will get full mqm and mqd paid. There are substantial percentages off flown and dollars paid if you book directly off MU or KE

maybe I’m wrong?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver

my understanding is that if it is booked on 006 stock, you will get full mqm and mqd paid. There are substantial percentages off flown and dollars paid if you book directly off MU or KE

maybe I’m wrong?
Delta-coded/ticketed will get you 100% MQMs by distance and MQDs corresponding to the fare paid minus taxes. But MU and KE booked on their own codes will still get you a minimum of 100% MQMs and MQDs also based on a percentage of distance, which could be more or less lucrative than buying from DL (if the given flights are even offered as codeshares).
phatcow likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

maybe I’m wrong?
Ticketing stock no longer matters. The only thing that affects which MQM/MQD chart applies is how the flight is coded.

Also, KE earnings are much better since the JV.

Also also, depending on your MQD situation and the particulars of the flight you might prefer to book MU/KE coded flights.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
phatcow likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Delta-coded/ticketed will get you 100% MQMs by distance and MQDs corresponding to the fare paid minus taxes. But MU and KE booked on their own codes will still get you a minimum of 100% MQMs and MQDs also based on a percentage of distance, which could be more or less lucrative than buying from DL (if the given flights are even offered as codeshares).
Originally Posted by Zorak
Ticketing stock no longer matters. The only thing that affects which MQM/MQD chart applies is how the flight is coded.

Also, KE earnings are much better since the JV.

Also also, depending on your MQD situation and the particulars of the flight you might prefer to book MU/KE coded flights.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
well then that settles it.

pvg will be my new nrt.

Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I go to Taiwan a lot for work, followed by Japan, Hong Kong/ Shenzhen, and rest of China - pretty much every week it seems. Since last year's TPE cancellation, I have been on more and more non-Delta flights. Since May of this year, it seems every other flight I've take is on Korean. My admin just booked me DL-coded KE-codeshared flight on Jin Air to replace the SEA-HKG?! It will be my first LCC experience, wish me luck!

Another thing with ICN is that Terminal 2 is not an airport - it's a freakin' luxury shopping mall. I just came through it yesterday again and I was "assaulted" by duty-free shop employees spraying fragrance at me without consent... not in the store but out in the walkway. I even had a guy came up to me try to sell me Korean-brand men skincare. Talk about aggressive selling - it's like going to the US malls during Christmas... Unlike other airports, this is a "must-pass" corridor with no escape.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME there was always some spraying at NRT, but usually the next shop was offering samples of (Japanese) scotch.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME there was always some spraying at NRT, but usually the next shop was offering samples of (Japanese) scotch.
I spend a lot of times at NRT as well but ICN T2 has WAY MORE luxury brand boutiques than NRT. NRT pale in comparison. I was Facetime with my GF and she interrogated me why I was at the mall when I claim to be flying. T2 feels like a Southern California Mall or Rodeo Drive, except indoor.

They should spray the Scotch... I'd be all over it...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
I go to Taiwan a lot for work, followed by Japan, Hong Kong/ Shenzhen, and rest of China - pretty much every week it seems. Since last year's TPE cancellation, I have been on more and more non-Delta flights. Since May of this year, it seems every other flight I've take is on Korean. My admin just booked me DL-coded KE-codeshared flight on Jin Air to replace the SEA-HKG?! It will be my first LCC experience, wish me luck!

Another thing with ICN is that Terminal 2 is not an airport - it's a freakin' luxury shopping mall. I just came through it yesterday again and I was "assaulted" by duty-free shop employees spraying fragrance at me without consent... not in the store but out in the walkway. I even had a guy came up to me try to sell me Korean-brand men skincare. Talk about aggressive selling - it's like going to the US malls during Christmas... Unlike other airports, this is a "must-pass" corridor with no escape.
Did you find that you are credited the same amount of dollars and mqms as previous, and are there any other above and beyond things that KE does due to elite status?

also is it true that KE does not have wifi at all on any plane?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:30 pm

Did you find that you are credited the same amount of dollars and mqms as previous, and are there any other above and beyond things that KE does due to elite status?

also is it true that KE does not have wifi at all on any plane?
It's not as simple as people are saying... KE ticketed flights are credit by distance (for MQD) and depend on the fare class, it can be as low as 5%. It has nothing to do with how much you actually pay. If the flights are in demand, you can have a very expensive ticket but low fare-class but get MQD credit much lower than the fare of your ticket, whereas the same flight DL-coded DL-ticketed is worth a lot more in MQD (in net fare minus taxes and fees). However, if the flight is very cheap but it happens to be in a higher fare class, you can come out ahead... MDM miles, you do get 100%, the big BUT is that you must buy the fare class listed on DL site. KE offer a lot of fare buckets, and many do not qualify for DL earning. I've learned this the hard way, i took an intra-Asia flight on KE, very expensive $800 USD for one-way economy, I got zero MQD and MDM because it was a fare class that is not on DL's earning list.

I've been on their B737 B747-8 B777 B787 A330 A380 fleet this year, and never seen inflight internet in any of my flights.

One thing to also know that coming from DL, you will feel hungry with KE. KE serve very very little food (in economy or business), so you should eat up in the lounge or bring snacks. They usually offer 3 meal options which include bibimbap as 1 of the 3. While bibimbap looks like a lot of food, it's just rice and chopped veggie and a teaspoon worth of diced meat, it also does not come with any sweet desert beyond the one tiny stick of pineapple. You will go hungry after just 2-3 hours... They also don't have liquors like DL> The western dishes offer a little bit more, mostly due to the sweet dessert - the main entree is small compare to DL's. No pre-meal snack/drink and beverage comes in a tiny cup. DL = big cup and FA fill it to the rim so they don't have to come back again KE = tiny cup and FA fill it to about 6/10, so that juice carton can last the entire service. The "full size" bottled water is basically the small bottle DL hands out in domestic first class. IFE is subpar, very little new content. The best attribute is the slightly better service than DL and wider seat pitch. I fly DL metal a lot, so many of the crew on the TPAC flight would say hi and offer extra services, I dont get this kind of service from KE beyond the hello from the parser for my STE+ status but most people find KE service better (I dont know why, perhaps people like being told NO with a smile versus just a straightforward no). Every economy seat on KE long-haul fleet is DL's Comfort+ with at least 34".

I emphasize on hunger because I am a light eater and even for me, I go hungry. There is nothing packaged you can take from the ICN lounges, so you gotta eat up in the lounge. I am sure others feel the same way, by the way how quickly people clean up the trays of food at the lounge when the kitchen staff brings them out. To give you some color on this, my coworker said "...the inflight meal tray feels substantial when it is handed to you, but then you realize most of the weight comes from the metal utensils..."

Last edited by wlau; Oct 3, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by wlau
It's not as simple as people are saying...
... sure, one still has to look at the charts and compare whether it's more advantageous to book DL or partner coded. But it's still simpler to decide which chart supplies to what flight now than it was before.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:09 pm

Don't think this was posted yet, but I guess it didn't really take CX that long to jump on this:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...h/seattle.html
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by discoseal
Don't think this was posted yet, but I guess it didn't really take CX that long to jump on this:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...h/seattle.html
CX started the process of launching the service the same day Delta cancelled it. Word on the street is that CX had been wanting to launch the route for a while, but was slow on the uptake waiting for A350s to arrive - creating an opening for DL to operate the route for a while. Once DL backed off, they immediately jumped at the opportunity. Discussion in this thread begins around post #250 when the news became public.

DL’s attitude toward the situation is basically “good luck to them, and we hope they lose as much money as we did on the route”. I tend to think CX will fare a little better, though, as they have feed on both ends of the flight rather than only in the US. It will probably be largely non-overlapping traffic with DL, as the kinds of places you’d want to connect to from HKG are mostly ASEAN or India destinations that are poorly served by Delta and their partners.

Last edited by BenA; Oct 25, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by BenA

CX started the process of launching the service the same day Delta cancelled it. Word on the street is that CX had been wanting to launch the route for a while, but was slow on the uptake waiting for A350s to arrive - creating an opening for DL to operate the route for a while. Once DL backed off, they immediately jumped at the opportunity. Discussion in this thread begins around post #250 when the news became public.

DL’s attitude toward the situation is basically “good luck to them, and we hope they lose as much money as we did on the route”. I tend to think CX will fare a little better, though, as they have feed on both ends of the flight rather than only in the US. It will probably be largely non-overlapping traffic with DL, as the kinds of places you’d want to connect to from HKG are mostly ASEAN or India destinations that are poorly served by Delta and their partners.
I actually woudld consider CX because it's a true Asia gateway - hourly flights to Taipei, Tokyo, and frequent flights to Shanghai, Beijing and Seoul... I agree CX would do better because of the HKG hub. UA is going to win over a lot of business passengers in 2019. Half of my company is complaining about DL and talking about going over to UA. Flying A350 over B787 sure puts icing on the cake also for CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.