Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMoose
I think that says volumes about DL's attempt to "force" SEA into a hub for Asia-bound/Asia-originating travelers. DL simply couldn't (or wouldn't) compete with the other giants at SFO and LAX, so they decided to leverage (aka force) their relative domestic strength at SEA into a Transpacific hub of their own.

DL still doesn't have enough domestic feed into SEA, and -- while SEA has a large corporate base and significant Asian population for VFR travel -- it still is only a marginally larger market than, for example, MSP, which has much greater domestic feed. It can't compete with SFO/LAX in the O/D traffic that really helps a hub thrive, or even ORD/NYC which are longer hauls but are much stronger markets than SEA (or MSP, DTW, or ATL).

Even well after the merger, the USA->NRT->Asia points onward model is still best for DL's US hubs and route network. It'll be a number of years before they are able to replicate that setup via ICN and KE, and until then, DL will continue to have sub-par connectivity to/from Asia when compared to the other US carriers.

On a somewhat related note what, exactly, has changed in the market that is going to suddenly make SEA-KIX successful this time around? My half-baked theory is that it's simply a consolation prize to SEA and its status as an Asia hub and can be operated on the relatively cheaper 767-300ER compared to the A332/777 that was running on SEA-HKG.
I realize DL was making the decision with data I don't have as well as priorities I don't have, and it's also been discussed elsewhere in this forum, but in my own opinion, this is why I think DL was short-sighted to sever ties with AS the way it did. While I realize DL needed some domestic presence of its own at SEA as it built up the hub, I wish (and think) they should have maintained the AS partnership and looked at the partnership as an advantage to feed int'l traffic at SEA rather than as a barrier to their goals at SEA, especially given how well established AS is here in the SEA and throughout the rest of the West Coast. I think they could have used that partnership to better feed their international flights, perhaps even drawn up a more exclusive relationship between the two. Of course it doesn't matter now - that's all now "if"....

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jul 23, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Couple of questions

1) How is UA able to run a once-daily EWR to HKG? Do some of the smaller StarAlliance airlines (Thai) provide enough connectivity from HKG? I would think Delta would be able to run a JFK to HKG just on O&D.

2) Why no ATL to HKG?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Couple of questions

1) How is UA able to run a once-daily EWR to HKG? Do some of the smaller StarAlliance airlines (Thai) provide enough connectivity from HKG? I would think Delta would be able to run a JFK to HKG just on O&D.

2) Why no ATL to HKG?
1) Mostly O/D traffic from the NYC catchment area to/from the Pearl River Delta catchment area.
2) Not enough O/D or connecting traffic from ATL to make an ULH route like that work financially, especially when there are more viable options for most connecting travelers out of NYC, ORD, BOS, and DFW.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It'll be sub-daily (4x per week). Another sign that the demand for SEA - HKG is not like it is for SFO, LAX, or YVR.
I think that says volumes about DL's attempt to "force" SEA into a hub for Asia-bound/Asia-originating travelers.
The fact that CX is launching it as 4x pw says nothing really. It's very common practice to launch a new route at less than daily and to then build it up to daily as it grows. This has been the practice for most if not all of CX's route launches over recent years.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The fact that CX is launching it as 4x pw says nothing really. It's very common practice to launch a new route at less than daily and to then build it up to daily as it grows. This has been the practice for most if not all of CX's route launches over recent years.
No, that's kind of my point. CX, which of course is a behemoth at the other end in HKG, isn't even starting daily. It's not a strong enough market to support daily service on CX on their own, let alone at the same time as DL's service.

To me, that speaks volumes about SEA being a viable Transpacific hub.

Last edited by TheMoose; Jul 23, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I think that says volumes about DL's attempt to "force" SEA into a hub for Asia-bound/Asia-originating travelers. DL simply couldn't (or wouldn't) compete with the other giants at SFO and LAX, so they decided to leverage (aka force) their relative domestic strength at SEA into a Transpacific hub of their own.

DL still doesn't have enough domestic feed into SEA, and -- while SEA has a large corporate base and significant Asian population for VFR travel -- it still is only a marginally larger market than, for example, MSP, which has much greater domestic feed. It can't compete with SFO/LAX in the O/D traffic that really helps a hub thrive, or even ORD/NYC which are longer hauls but are much stronger markets than SEA (or MSP, DTW, or ATL).

Even well after the merger, the USA->NRT->Asia points onward model is still best for DL's US hubs and route network. It'll be a number of years before they are able to replicate that setup via ICN and KE, and until then, DL will continue to have sub-par connectivity to/from Asia when compared to the other US carriers.

On a somewhat related note what, exactly, has changed in the market that is going to suddenly make SEA-KIX successful this time around? My half-baked theory is that it's simply a consolation prize to SEA and its status as an Asia hub and can be operated on the relatively cheaper 767-300ER compared to the A332/777 that was running on SEA-HKG.
IMHO, operating on no data other than my own prognostication: what’s changed is the success of Nintendo. The Switch was a major turnaround for them and they now have the most exciting console of the current generation (and I say this as a formerly competing engineer from the industry). I suspect it’s driving increased business travel between KIX/SEA. Combine that with the opportunity to open a route with less competition and it really could be just as simple as KIX being the higher and better use of a limited SEA international arrival slot.

For all we know, if CX hadn’t responded by starting the route, SEA-HKG could have come back when the new IAF is ready...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by BenA

IMHO, operating on no data other than my own prognostication: what’s changed is the success of Nintendo. The Switch was a major turnaround for them and they now have the most exciting console of the current generation (and I say this as a formerly competing engineer from the industry). I suspect it’s driving increased business travel between KIX/SEA. Combine that with the opportunity to open a route with less competition and it really could be just as simple as KIX being the higher and better use of a limited SEA international arrival slot.

For all we know, if CX hadn’t responded by starting the route, SEA-HKG could have come back when the new IAF is ready...
Perhaps, but, the Switch and Nintendo have been enjoying their newfound success for a while. Yet this re-launch is not slated until 2019, a similar time-frame for the MSP-ICN launch. It doesn't strike me as a move specifically designed to urgently capture that business traffic. But I'm operating with even less data or industry experience than you.

My gut still says it's a sort of consolation prize to maintain departures to Asia, and perhaps the international arrival slot as you mentioned.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:32 pm

No, that's kind of my point. CX, which of course is a behemoth at the other end in HKG, isn't even starting daily. It's not a strong enough market to support daily service on CX on their own, let alone at the same time as DL's service.

Well my point is that I would expect CX to make it daily fairly soon (just like it has elsewhere), i.e. the fact it's not launching daily immediately does not mean CX thinks there's not enough market to support daily.

Of course if the launch is unsuccessful if could get dropped altogether, but It's unlikely to remain at 4x daily for many years.

Your point about space for both DL and CX is of course a valid one.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well my point is that I would expect CX to make it daily fairly soon (just like it has elsewhere), i.e. the fact it's not launching daily immediately does not mean CX thinks there's not enough market to support daily.

Of course if the launch is unsuccessful if could get dropped altogether, but It's unlikely to remain at 4x daily for many years.

Your point about space for both DL and CX is of course a valid one.
Fair enough. Note, also, that DL dropped the SEA-HKG service from daily down to, I believe, as low as 4x weekly during certain periods.

I guess what I'm getting at is that SEA doesn't appear to be a strong enough hub for Delta to support this flight, maybe ever. And CX (apparently) thought that HKG-SEA wasn't strong enough to operate at the same time Delta operated on the route, even with significant feed advantages on its end compared to DL on its end. That doesn't speak well to the strength of the market, overall. Which means DL needs significant feed to make it work. Getting that feed is strategically challenging, both from a facilities standpoint, and from a geographical standpoint; they'd basically have to gut parts of the SLC/MSP hubs to justify some of the feed, and then there would be "backtracking" out of the SEA hub to those domestic destinations.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
On a somewhat related note what, exactly, has changed in the market that is going to suddenly make SEA-KIX successful this time around?
DL has 2 spare aircrafts resulting from SEA-HKG discontinuation.

UA's success is due to M+ and E+. For those who fly frequently on EWR-HKG, E+ allows a more comfortable travel when they are restricted from Y booking only. With GPUs, they can upgrade when available.

SEA is a failure because of the population. When DL wants to duplicate its ATL model, DL does not realize that many Asian do not like making transfers, especially when the airfares are not significantly lower than competitors.

As I said previously, LAX is the perfect choice for DL. DL simply does not want to face competitions. So SEA.

At least for now, most HKG traffic are terminated at HKG. UA works with NH, so whoever fly to Asia where UA does not serve, they will transit at NRT and connect with NH.

FYI - UA's EWR-HKG is a pmCO route. Yes - a former ST route.

2) Why no ATL to HKG?
No spare aircrafts for starter. DL simply does not have enough widebodies for long-haul. As a fact, DL has the least 777s among all U.S. airlines.

IMHO, operating on no data other than my own prognostication: what’s changed is the success of Nintendo.
Unless Nintendo intends to charter the flights, personally I believe either Microsoft or especially Amazon can bring my air traffic than just Nintendo.

Also, while I have never traveled on SEA-NRT, I bet U.S. Navy is more important than Nintendo.

SEA has been under CX's consideration for some time, even before DL's announcement of discontinuation. The discontinuation certainly accelerates the whole thing.

But FWIW - SEA-HKG will not come back. If DL seriously wants that market, the routes have to be LAX/JFK-HKG.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough. Note, also, that DL dropped the SEA-HKG service from daily down to, I believe, as low as 4x weekly during certain periods.

I guess what I'm getting at is that SEA doesn't appear to be a strong enough hub for Delta to support this flight, maybe ever. And CX (apparently) thought that HKG-SEA wasn't strong enough to operate at the same time Delta operated on the route, even with significant feed advantages on its end compared to DL on its end. That doesn't speak well to the strength of the market, overall. Which means DL needs significant feed to make it work. Getting that feed is strategically challenging, both from a facilities standpoint, and from a geographical standpoint; they'd basically have to gut parts of the SLC/MSP hubs to justify some of the feed, and then there would be "backtracking" out of the SEA hub to those domestic destinations.
I don't think one route speaks to the viability of a hub. Even mega-hubs like ATL, DFW, etc. have seen routes cut. It may well just be that specific market. SEA and HKG have different markets (industries). HKG is a financial hub. SEA is a technology hub. I believe SEA was (is) the smallest US market served by any airline - CX, DL, UA, or AA - from HKG in terms of metro area population (not the sole factor in determining a market but certainly a factor). But SEA not having a viable market for O&D (required to help sustain hub flights) to HKG doesn't automatically mean SEA can't be a viable TPAC hub to other markets that share similar industries, and thus generate O&D traffic, for SEA. SEA maintains three flights to ICN (two as part the DL/KE JV and then Asiana), and two daily flights to PEK, PVG, and NRT as well as once daily to other destinations (SZX, TPE, and soon KIX).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
DL has 2 spare aircrafts resulting from SEA-HKG discontinuation.
Originally Posted by garykung
No spare aircrafts for starter. DL simply does not have enough widebodies for long-haul. As a fact, DL has the least 777s among all U.S. airlines.
These two parts of your post contradict each other. In one part, you claim DL now has 2 spare aircraft due to the SEA-HKG cancelation yet then mention they can't do ATL-HKG due to lack of spare aircraft. Yet the aircraft operating SEA-HKG - which is now a 777 - is the same type of aircraft you say they don't have spares of, while saying that SEA-KIX, which will be a 767 I believe, not a 777, is now an option because they'll have spares, even though the 777 fleet is not directly impacted by SEA-KIX unless a 777 is now put on a route currently seeing a 767 so that DL has a 767 to provide and use for SEA-KIX.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I don't think one route speaks to the viability of a hub. Even mega-hubs like ATL, DFW, etc. have seen routes cut. It may well just be that specific market. SEA and HKG have different markets (industries). HKG is a financial hub. SEA is a technology hub. I believe SEA was (is) the smallest US market served by any airline - CX, DL, UA, or AA - from HKG in terms of metro area population (not the sole factor in determining a market but certainly a factor). But SEA not having a viable market for O&D (required to help sustain hub flights) to HKG doesn't automatically mean SEA can't be a viable TPAC hub to other markets that share similar industries, and thus generate O&D traffic, for SEA. SEA maintains three flights to ICN (two as part the DL/KE JV and then Asiana), and two daily flights to PEK, PVG, and NRT as well as once daily to other destinations (SZX, TPE, and soon KIX).
SEA has always had some TPAC service because of its geography in the PNW and, in the 20th century, aircraft range limitations (NW used it extensively in serving Asia for many years). I actually think DL knew exactly what it was getting into. After all, DL had the failed PDX Asia hub in the early 90's (talk about a metro area being to small!!). They also have the legacy NW history of serving Asia extensively through SEA. SEA is still a relatively new hub for DL and they are still experimenting with the right mix of international flights.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
SEA has always had some TPAC service because of its geography in the PNW and, in the 20th century, aircraft range limitations (NW used it extensively in serving Asia for many years). I actually think DL knew exactly what it was getting into. After all, DL had the failed PDX Asia hub in the early 90's (talk about a metro area being to small!!). They also have the legacy NW history of serving Asia extensively through SEA. SEA is still a relatively new hub for DL and they are still experimenting with the right mix of international flights.
As I mentioned upthread, geographic position and "limitations" actually are what DL saw as opportunity and part of its reasoning in establishing the hub at SEA. SEA is within the 767's economical range to Asia, allowing DL to operate a smaller aircraft that is more right-sized for many of the markets currently served from SEA by DL. It was an opportunity to expand with the fleet DL had and has. As you mention the hub is still fairly new so only time will tell if the experiment pays off.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
SEA and HKG have different markets (industries). HKG is a financial hub. SEA is a technology hub.
Good luck getting anyone here to agree with this.

1. How about SFO?

2. HKG is more than a financial hub. It actually serves as a gateway to Asia as well. For example, Apple is one of the major UA's customer for SFO-HKG (Apple's products are manufactured by Foxconn, which has a massive production facility in Shenzhen, just north of Hong Kong.)

I believe SEA was (is) the smallest US market served by any airline - CX, DL, UA, or AA - from HKG in terms of metro area population (not the sole factor in determining a market but certainly a factor).
Not correct. The smallest ever U.S. market served by any airlines from Hong Kong is SPN, which is served by HX and UO nonstop and UA with connections.

SPN and GUM are 2 forgotten U.S. markets that even DL has abandoned.

But SEA not having a viable market for O&D (required to help sustain hub flights) to HKG doesn't automatically mean SEA can't be a viable TPAC hub to other markets that share similar industries, and thus generate O&D traffic, for SEA.
SEA is a poor choice for TPAC hubs, given its proximity to YVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.