Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by wlau
I actually woudld consider CX because it's a true Asia gateway - hourly flights to Taipei, Tokyo, and frequent flights to Shanghai, Beijing and Seoul... I agree CX would do better because of the HKG hub. UA is going to win over a lot of business passengers in 2019. Half of my company is complaining about DL and talking about going over to UA. Flying A350 over B787 sure puts icing on the cake also for CX.
Even leaving aside connection time, going to TYO or ICN via HKG is 60% longer. I doubt they will pull much traffic from the nonstop options without having to discount heavily.

It is doubtful that CX will “do better” in absolute terms, but given all of their markets are really tough right now, they may be forced to tolerate weak returns longer than DL was willing to accept.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Even leaving aside connection time, going to TYO or ICN via HKG is 60% longer. I doubt they will pull much traffic from the nonstop options without having to discount heavily.

It is doubtful that CX will “do better” in absolute terms, but given all of their markets are really tough right now, they may be forced to tolerate weak returns longer than DL was willing to accept.
No doubt that DL had a very well oiled machine at NRT, it was efficient hub for intra-Asia transfer, both geographically and operationally. If you look at the current connection flights in/out of ICN, they just dont line up well with DL flights, so you spent a lot of hours waiting at the airport. The better scheduled flights are operated by KE sister LCC Jin Air, but you get no perks and no mileage credit. CX, however, has very good scheduling for connection time, it just provide you enough time to connect but not enough to hang around and feel like you are wasting your life away. This better ran connection definitely offset the extra distance if you have to fly back up northwards. Truth is, most intra-Asia flights are like 1 to 2 hrs at most if you don't count the time zone difference.

I've flown with both and CX definitely has a better hard product than KE. CX and sister KA offer way more connection options than KE.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HUH? NRT to BKK/SIN is over 6 hours, while HKG to NRT/ICN are certainly more than 1 to 2 hours.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by wlau
No doubt that DL had a very well oiled machine at NRT, it was efficient hub for intra-Asia transfer, both geographically and operationally. If you look at the current connection flights in/out of ICN, they just dont line up well with DL flights, so you spent a lot of hours waiting at the airport. The better scheduled flights are operated by KE sister LCC Jin Air, but you get no perks and no mileage credit. CX, however, has very good scheduling for connection time, it just provide you enough time to connect but not enough to hang around and feel like you are wasting your life away. This better ran connection definitely offset the extra distance if you have to fly back up northwards. Truth is, most intra-Asia flights are like 1 to 2 hrs at most if you don't count the time zone difference.

I've flown with both and CX definitely has a better hard product than KE. CX and sister KA offer way more connection options than KE.
My point is that HKG is out of the way for major markets in the region. That disadvantage is always going to be something CX struggles with.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Delta just told this 2MM DM to F.O.. They are unable to get me to HK any earlier than 4+ hours after my originally booked arrival time. The first person I talked to said I could call back and do "anything I wanted" because it was Delta's fault for cancelling the route. I knew this wasn't true, but called anyway to try and change the destination to SIN. Yes, I knew it was a longshot. In the end, they just really ended up pissing me off.
Well the Thanksgiving spirit was shining on me today. I called in and was able to secure the SIN route.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta
Unhappy How can Delta stop flying to HK and leave us in the hands of China Eastern or KAL?

I was shocked as a frequent traveler to HKG to see that Delta now forces me to use either Korean Air out of Inchon or China Eastern out of Shanghai to get to HKG. Has Delta given up on being a world leader in aviation? It would seem so. You can skip some airports in the world, but not HKG. That makes it hard even for us diamond DL flyers to pick seats on the the last leg going to HKG. I hope that they think about their future. Without an actual Delta flight to get me to HK I will have to plan on switching to American or United. I don't care about the food in the lounge, or the new uniforms, I want to arrive safely and pilots are simply better on American flagged airlines.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:30 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
The humanity of having to select a seat on a different airline's website ...

I'm quite certain that Delta's industry leadership will continue even with internet rants.

Also, please support your pilot accusation. China Eastern and Korean Air have the same safety rating as American Airlines, Emirates, and Air France (etc). IMHO, safe transport is the one and only priority for an airline pilot.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by TBD
The humanity of having to select a seat on a different airline's website ...

I'm quite certain that Delta's industry leadership will continue even with internet rants.

Also, please support your pilot accusation. China Eastern and Korean Air have the same safety rating as American Airlines, Emirates, and Air France (etc). IMHO, safe transport is the one and only priority for an airline pilot.
In partial defense of OP’s claims, China Eastern is only bearable if you can deal with the non-stop chain smoking pilots. I can’t. No problems with KE though.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:38 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by loratliff

In partial defense of OP’s claims, China Eastern is only bearable if you can deal with the non-stop chain smoking pilots. I can’t. No problems with KE though.
I don't recall ever seeing pilots on China Eastern for intra-Asia flights ... much less smelling their smoke.
I know China Eastern's service and food may questionable at times, but that does not make MU unfit for western passengers. My experiences with MU have been completely ordinary by western standards.

Edit: And in Delta's defense, their joint venture will be with Korean and not China Eastern. Delta isn't making anyone fly MU. In fact, their schedules are written with the expectation that people connect on Korean.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There were lost of posts five months ago when Delta announced end of service to Hong Kong, and that's where this thread will soon be appended.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SouthernTide
I want to arrive safely and pilots are simply better on American flagged airlines.
I hope you between DL, MU and Korean......

Otherwise Lufthansa, Air New Zealand, British Airways, QANTAS, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, ANA and several others would probably beg to differ.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Simply put this hasn't been the case in awhile.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Simply put this hasn't been the case in awhile.
I have no first-hand experience but there's a thread in the Other Asian Airlines forum including recent reports.

Pervasive Crew smoking on China Eastern true?

The smoking-on-MU sub-discussion should probably continue in that thread vs. here.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I think at worst what is being smelled is clothes and the odor that theuve taken on. I fly MU regularly and am asthmatic I've never smelled actual smoke. I've smelled the odor when someone who smokes a lot passes by.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SouthernTide
I was shocked as a frequent traveler to HKG to see that Delta now forces me to use either Korean Air out of Inchon or China Eastern out of Shanghai to get to HKG. Has Delta given up on being a world leader in aviation? It would seem so. You can skip some airports in the world, but not HKG. That makes it hard even for us diamond DL flyers to pick seats on the the last leg going to HKG. I hope that they think about their future. Without an actual Delta flight to get me to HK I will have to plan on switching to American or United. I don't care about the food in the lounge, or the new uniforms, I want to arrive safely and pilots are simply better on American flagged airlines.
Okay -- you may not care about the bolded above but enjoy the seat width on UA/AA when flying on their 3-4-3 777s if you are flying in Y
bubbashow, wrp96 and ATOBTTR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.