Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:14 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

Delta, Seattle’s largest global airline, is adding nonstop service to Osaka-Kansai (KIX), Japan, starting in 2019, complementing its existing international network.

“As Seattle’s global airline, Delta offers service to the top destinations throughout Asia, and additional access to Japan is important for our Seattle customers as well as the business community throughout Washington state and beyond,” said Tony Gonchar, Delta’s Vice President — Seattle. “We’re pleased to offer another key business destination with our new nonstop Osaka service from Seattle.”

Delta will fly the new route with one of the airline’s Boeing 767-300ER equipped with 25 fully flat-bed seats in Delta One, 29 seats Delta Comfort+ and 171 seats in the Main Cabin. Every seat has access to Wi-Fi, free personal in-flight seatback entertainment screens and power ports. Meals, created in partnership with Delta’s Michelin two-star consulting chef Norio Ueno will be featured in all cabins of service.

Schedule details will be released at a later date. Delta today at Osaka offers daily service to Honolulu, making Seattle its second nonstop U.S. destination from the Japanese city.

Delta has made the difficult business decision to cease Seattle-Hong Kong service, with the last flight out of Hong Kong on Oct. 4. Delta will continue to serve Hong Kong from Seattle via Seoul-ICN, with its joint venture partner Korean Air.
https://news.delta.com/delta-add-sea...orean-air-2019

I am bummed about Hong Kong but Osaka is a neat addition.
Widgets likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Yeah, pretty amazing to think that Delta will no longer serve Hong Kong at all. Probably the biggest global business center not served by Delta?
MSPeconomist and Adelphos like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by TTT
https://news.delta.com/delta-add-sea...orean-air-2019

I am bummed about Hong Kong but Osaka is a neat addition.
I wish I knew why DL hates HKG so much
Spiff, MSPeconomist and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Seems shirt sighted. As it was DLs choice of making you route through SEA is what IMO killed HKG traffic. Find it strange that the other airlines can make it work, just not DL.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I wish I knew why DL hates HKG so much
Too much competition. Osaka has very little US origination competition. Hong Kong has too much, so they will offload this low margin route to HKG via the KE joint venture..
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
There also are much, much stronger ties between Seattle and Japan or Korea. The Hong Kong overseas population is largely settled north of here in Vancouver, and that route is served by many airlines at crazy cheap airfares.

It’s also worth noting that the Xiamen SEA-SZX flight likely siphoned off some of the HKG profitability, too.

I loved this flight because it was one of the best “business class hours per global upgrade certificate” value routes, and I had a 100% success rate clearing over multiple attempts. But I recognize that’s a sign that a route isn’t doing well, and I can understand dropping it now that KE is a viable partner alternative.

In many ways, Delta is starting the process of returning to the status quo of the old NRT connecting hub - just in Korea instead. I do wonder if this is the high water mark of the Seattle international expansion for DL...

Looking forward to the KIX flight returning, though. I find Kansai far more intriguing to visit than Tokyo these days and am hoping for a good inaugural deal on the new flight...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I guess time will tell if KIX can sustain itself this time. It wasn't dropped that long ago, so maybe a new business contact has been landed in order to bring it back. Crazy to think that DL won't serve such a major financial hub with its own metal but with UA/AA having such a strong presence, I can imagine DL simply wasn't able to compete.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
interesting ... SEA-HKG operates with an A330-200 for years, finally switches to a 777 in March- and 3 months later the station gets whacked altogether? Too much airplane for the route? Is this where the equipment is coming from to fund the MSP-ICN startup?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
And Delta isn't flying New York-Tokyo any longer, either.

Even with the Korean joint-venture it is pathetic.
KOTAR1988, MCO Flyer and east_west like this.
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I guess time will tell if KIX can sustain itself this time. It wasn't dropped that long ago, so maybe a new business contact has been landed in order to bring it back. Crazy to think that DL won't serve such a major financial hub with its own metal but with UA/AA having such a strong presence, I can imagine DL simply wasn't able to compete.
And of course CX from a variety of US gateways.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have experience with how DL rebooks for trips on routes which are cancelled? I'm headed to SIN in Nov, SEA-HKG in D1 and HKG-SIN on a separate ticket with CX. My assumption is they will rebook me SEA-ICN-HKG but I'd like to get SEA-NRT-SIN to avoid having a 2 stop trip in both directions.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am going to HKG using SEA RT in middle September 2018. So glad I got in under the wire as I turned down riding the 350 to ICN/PVG, etc with the long layovers and late night arrival in HKG.

This move by Delta will compound my annual trips to China.
Jim31328 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
So, DL will have no flights at all to HKG? That seems surprising. It's a major city and business center and yet they can't even get a single flight out there.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:13 am

I have no doubt DL will continue to hold onto at least one HKG slot for future purposes as well as Cantonese-FA's, but I'm curious whether or not this route would ever be viable again in the future.

CX tried SEA before and it didn't work out, and YVR has much greater frequency.

Time will tell what the future holds I suppose, though as it stands, most of the efficient routings I see into HKG bookable on DL remains to be routed through PVG on MU.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:13 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
So, DL will have no flights at all to HKG? That seems surprising. It's a major city and business center and yet they can't even get a single flight out there.
I wonder what market would make sense? The west coast has quite a few options to HKG so that might have been why SEA didn't work.

DTW didn't work but could it again? What about ATL? Does DL want to get into that ULH flying again?

MSP seems like the only other hub that might work but it would be mostly connecting traffic.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.