Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crackdown on MS for MQD waiver?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dyst0pia
Pretty sure Simon Mall isn't counting towards the MQD waiver anymore (but for some reason still counted towards the MQM boost). My MQD waiver amount on delta.com is less than my YTD spend on the Amex by exactly the amount I've manufactured at SM. And it's in the tens of thousands range, so it's not a minor rounding error.
I can confirm this in my delta account.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Just to make things interesting, on February 18 I received the 10,000 MQM bonus for spending $25,000.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Im not sure whats going on, i just looked at my MQD waiver tracker and it is missing 2k of MS (thats all ive done this year). But it also says my spend tracker is current as of April 13th...so it hasnt updated in 6 weeks?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
After over half an hour on the phone with Amex and Delta, Amex said they sent over all the charges. Delta didn't receive all of them, and said I had to get Amex to resend them. I asked Amex to do that; they're investigating.

(I wouldn't have waited this long, but I'm currently DM so earning PM earlier this year doesn't really do anything for me.)
Old May 31, 2018, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
After over half an hour on the phone with Amex and Delta, Amex said they sent over all the charges. Delta didn't receive all of them, and said I had to get Amex to resend them. I asked Amex to do that; they're investigating.

(I wouldn't have waited this long, but I'm currently DM so earning PM earlier this year doesn't really do anything for me.)
Are you someone who selects choice benefits close to the January 31st deadline? That's where having the new status for next year recognized by DL earlier in the year could matter, if you need a new set of RUCs or want to gift Silver to someone or take the SC membership/upgrade/gift passes (although since I know I won't make those choices, I don't pay attention to the fine points of how to time this stuff optimally).
Old May 31, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
The Delta meter isn’t up to date immediately. There is a significant lag.

You’ll be fine.
Renes Points likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you someone who selects choice benefits close to the January 31st deadline? That's where having the new status for next year recognized by DL earlier in the year could matter, if you need a new set of RUCs or want to gift Silver to someone or take the SC membership/upgrade/gift passes (although since I know I won't make those choices, I don't pay attention to the fine points of how to time this stuff optimally).
I select them at the optimal time: if gifting status (I don't any more), as early as possible. If getting RUCs/GUCs, as late as practicable. But I still have some RUCs left, so there's certainly no hurry in getting them.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
The Delta meter isn’t up to date immediately. There is a significant lag.

You’ll be fine.
Has anyones tracker updated to include MS? I just got my monthly skymiles statement and the counter now says its current as of 5/31....but it still does not include 2k of MS
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Has anyones tracker updated to include MS? I just got my monthly skymiles statement and the counter now says its current as of 5/31....but it still does not include 2k of MS
Anyone who yells "the sky is falling" should be like birds that droned looking up in the rain. All works fine as before other than new card bonus spend. Anyone who says anything else does not get it. End of story!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
A crackdown on MS? Sounds good to me. Anything to thin the herd!
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the elite level, sure, I see that, but given how little the MS crowd actual flies, and given that they accumulate a lot of points and revenue and probably profit for Delta, isn't MS a good thing for Delta overall?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by josephstern
On the elite level, sure, I see that, but given how little the MS crowd actual flies, and given that they accumulate a lot of points and revenue and probably profit for Delta, isn't MS a good thing for Delta overall?
I'm not sure I agree with the premise that MSers don't fly a lot (since we're talking about mqd waivers), but it depends what delta and amex want and what the terms are between delta and amex. But if the reason for the increase to the mqd for DM was to make sure that all DMs actually are the "elite" then they wouldn't want MSing to count. It's also possible that amex pays delta for the waivers, and in that case, amex wouldn't want MSing to count. Just many different possibilities and without knowing the terms of the contract, it's hard to know what the actual motivations are.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I'm not sure I agree with the premise that MSers don't fly a lot (since we're talking about mqd waivers), but it depends what delta and amex want and what the terms are between delta and amex. But if the reason for the increase to the mqd for DM was to make sure that all DMs actually are the "elite" then they wouldn't want MSing to count. It's also possible that amex pays delta for the waivers, and in that case, amex wouldn't want MSing to count. Just many different possibilities and without knowing the terms of the contract, it's hard to know what the actual motivations are.
If there's a payment, what happens if someone first earns the waiver and then gets the required MQDs? I'm guessing that there's no payment if this happens in the reverse order.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there's a payment, what happens if someone first earns the waiver and then gets the required MQDs? I'm guessing that there's no payment if this happens in the reverse order.
I don't have any knowledge about how these two companies interact with each other and what any individual arrangements are (other than those which are advertised). However, I think we can at least assume that the scenarios you describe weren't overlooked.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't done any MS, the actual charges on my Delta Amex hit $26K in February, and the website still says $21K-22K. Delta said Amex has to fix it by sending all the charges to them, Amex is "investigating" which will take either up to 10 business days or 6-8 weeks.

Amex also claims the problem is exceedingly rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.