Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crackdown on MS for MQD waiver?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Really only an issue if you are falling short of the 25,000 or 250,000 threshold. I got my $30,000 bonus from Amex right after the close of the statement even though Delta said I was not there yet. I had a little bit of MS in there for paying merchants that don't take Amex. To me it looks like Amex is counting MS toward bonuses but Delta is excluding MS from their waiver. Only a theory but why would they need to send the transactions vs just sending a total spend for the year.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there's a payment, what happens if someone first earns the waiver and then gets the required MQDs? I'm guessing that there's no payment if this happens in the reverse order.
If they even do it this way they probably just wait until the end of the year (plus some sort of settlement period) and then square it up rather than pushing money around in real time as people hit the number.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skystreak
Really only an issue if you are falling short of the 25,000 or 250,000 threshold. I got my $30,000 bonus from Amex right after the close of the statement even though Delta said I was not there yet. I had a little bit of MS in there for paying merchants that don't take Amex. To me it looks like Amex is counting MS toward bonuses but Delta is excluding MS from their waiver. Only a theory but why would they need to send the transactions vs just sending a total spend for the year.
That would imply that Amex gives Delta pretty granular data, rather than one total per period per account. I seriously doubt it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by josephstern
That would imply that Amex gives Delta pretty granular data, rather than one total per period per account. I seriously doubt it.
Then why does Delta say $21-22K when Amex knows it's over $26K since February? I haven't done any MS.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know, but I don't think it's MS. I've done some, and it was all reported just fine to Delta.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by josephstern
Disclaimer: I know zero about the internals so this is pulled out of my ---

But to me the logical way this situation would be set up is that Delta doesn't care. They give the waiver to whoever AMEX tells them to give the waiver to, and I imagine there is some per-person contractual amount AMEX pays.

If this were the case, it would be plausible that AMEX would count MS towards spending bonuses -- they get their processing fee % regardless so it makes no difference -- but impose a stricter subset of eligible purchase categories for the DL waiver, because that's money they have to pay out.

Again, not saying this is how things are, just that it would make sense. (If anyone does know how it actually works I'd be curious to learn!)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta 2MM/Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just ran the numbers and here's my own data points for year to date:

$117k - Total spend on two Delta cards
$43k - MQD's shown on Delta
$74k - Missing MQD's on Delta
$74k - MS spend at SM

Missing MQD's = MS spend at SM

This looks like a pretty strong data point that SM spend is being skimmed off the MQD's. MS spend from GC.com and GCM.com is reported fine in the MQDs. I will continue to monitor (does not appear to be related to statement closing dates since this is year to date spending over multiple statements). I'm not calling AMEX or Delta at this point since I don't want eyes on accounts.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by kjbrant
Just ran the numbers and here's my own data points for year to date:

$117k - Total spend on two Delta cards
$43k - Card Spend shown on Delta
$74k - Missing Card Spend on Delta
$74k - MS spend at SM

Missing Card Spend = MS spend at SM

This looks like a pretty strong data point that SM spend is being skimmed off the MQD's. MS spend from GC.com and GCM.com is reported fine in the MQDs. I will continue to monitor (does not appear to be related to statement closing dates since this is year to date spending over multiple statements). I'm not calling AMEX or Delta at this point since I don't want eyes on accounts.
One more point: I did get all my MQM bonus points for the $117k spend on the two cards.

Last edited by kjbrant; Jun 13, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, that's a pretty good indication that Amex runs two counters and sends the SM-less one to Delta. Very interesting.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Someone please educate me as to what “MS” and the “other” “SM” is (I.e. not Sky Miles). Are we talking “Manufactured Spend”? Isn’t “Manufactured Spend” just charging stuff to your card?

What is “Simon Mall”.

Why does it matter? How can DL unilaterally exclude $74K in purchases? As far as I can tell, none of my purchases have been excluded (reached $250K last month, not that it mattered).

Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Has anyones tracker updated to include MS? I just got my monthly skymiles statement and the counter now says its current as of 5/31....but it still does not include 2k of MS
Appending my previous post....I went on DL.com again today and it still says my spend is only up to date as of 4/13....even tho the email said otherwise. I know its slow to update but....2 months?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Perhaps its a DL scare tactic in hopes you spend more directly with DL to ensure proper account posting?

edit: ensure is too strong.....increase the likelihood of properly posting
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Perhaps its a DL scare tactic in hopes you spend more directly with DL to ensure proper account posting?

edit: ensure is too strong.....increase the likelihood of properly posting
lol well if they look at my history they shouldn’t have to worry too much....
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:21 am

Spoke to others having the same issue. One was resolved by 'on line chat' with amex. So, some people are receiving card spend on simon mall purchases. Will try this method too.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm not sure how the CC is able to differentiate the MS portion unless it is obvious coming from a place that only sells gift cards. If you're churning other items purchased a grocery stores or online sites that sell other items, they shouldn't know what you're buying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.