FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Crackdown on MS for MQD waiver? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1910978-crackdown-ms-mqd-waiver.html)

IHGforFree May 24, 2018 11:15 am

Crackdown on MS for MQD waiver?

I’ve been working on getting my $25K MQD waiver on my Delta Amex Platinum and it appears that certain purchases aren’t counting toward the waiver.

Currently the meter shows that I’ve spent $9-10k (updated 5/20) while my latest amex statement showed that my progress toward the MQM bonus was up to $17k. Is this a new policy? Any idea what counts for MQD waiver spend and what doesn’t?

rylan May 24, 2018 12:01 pm

If I recall there were some other reports about a disconnect between the DL meter and the actual Amex spend. Thought that was a technical issue/glitch that was resolved... but if you're seeing it then obviously it wasn't.

jetsfan92588 May 24, 2018 1:10 pm

AMEX should dictate what qualifies, not Delta. Could it be a lag time, or are you able to trace the purchase amounts to the "missing" spend?

ETA: Technically, Delta could dictate what qualifies in the agreement with AMEX, but AMEX is still the one determining whether the transaction qualifies because Delta wouldn't have that level of detail.

xolinlevh May 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Always found that there was a delay between my spend posting to Delta, i wouldnt worry (yet).

SuperG1955 May 24, 2018 3:13 pm

From AMEX T&C's (Bolding mine)

Eligible Purchases means purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible Purchases do NOT include fees, interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers' checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents

sethb May 24, 2018 3:17 pm

According to Amex, I spent over $26,000 between Jan 1 and Feb 28, but Delta still has me under $25,000. Should I worry?

SuperG1955 May 24, 2018 3:26 pm

I'd think that it depends on what you spent it on.

gregsfortytwo May 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 29790357)
If I recall there were some other reports about a disconnect between the DL meter and the actual Amex spend. Thought that was a technical issue/glitch that was resolved... but if you're seeing it then obviously it wasn't.

it’s probably this, unless the Amex spend was significantly before 5/20.

pharmawalk May 24, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by IHGforFree (Post 29790217)
I’ve been working on getting my $25K MQD waiver on my Delta Amex Platinum and it appears that certain purchases aren’t counting toward the waiver.

Currently the meter shows that I’ve spent $9-10k (updated 5/20) while my latest amex statement showed that my progress toward the MQM bonus was up to $17k. Is this a new policy? Any idea what counts for MQD waiver spend and what doesn’t?

For the delta Reserve and Platinum cards, towards the bottom of each statement, there is a paragraph about your progress for hitting the spend-based bonuses.

KDCAflyer May 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Amex doesn’t really enforce those T&C on the Delta cards. You’re probably fine.

dyst0pia May 25, 2018 11:29 am

Pretty sure Simon Mall isn't counting towards the MQD waiver anymore (but for some reason still counted towards the MQM boost). My MQD waiver amount on delta.com is less than my YTD spend on the Amex by exactly the amount I've manufactured at SM. And it's in the tens of thousands range, so it's not a minor rounding error.

Explorer789 May 29, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 29791023)
From AMEX T&C's (Bolding mine)

Eligible Purchases means purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible Purchases do NOT include fees, interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers' checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 29791332)
Amex doesn’t really enforce those T&C on the Delta cards. You’re probably fine.

Yep, especially since this is co-branded card. It is usually up to the cobrand to tell the issuer if they want to enforce or not, but they never do. You only need to look at how long the SPG gravy train that lasted all these year without any issues. Aside from the signup bonus, don't think it costs Amex anything for the milles afterwards.

Only thing to worry about is making sure you do organic spend for the signup bonus, then feel free to go crazy with MS after hitting the min spend.

El Boocho May 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 29791036)
According to Amex, I spent over $26,000 between Jan 1 and Feb 28, but Delta still has me under $25,000. Should I worry?

If I compare my charges to the credit I received on my statement in the paragraph following my activity, I am approx $5K short in purchases qualifying toward the MQM bonus threshold (this is on a DL Plat Card). I just noticed it in May, but it appears to relate charges at Ikea in March or April. Amex is "researching" it. I'll post the result if/when resolved.

OhDoctor May 29, 2018 6:30 pm

See my thread in this forum about my long saga waiting for my Amex Platinum card to 1) accurately reflect my spend, and 2) for Delta to acknowledge the spend and upgrade me to FO based on reaching the waiver threshold.

Long story short -- there is a significant delay between the actual spend and when Delta.com will reflect your MQD waiver. In my case, it was about 2.5 months, and there's not much you can do about it (I called both Amex and DL multiple times).

pharmawalk May 29, 2018 7:07 pm

Perhaps certain types of 'returnable' purchases are delayed from posting.